Oxyopes gracilipes was first described in 1849 as Sphasus gracilipes. The species was described again in 1878 as Oxyopes elegans. In 1885, Arthur Urquhart described the spider again as Sphasus gregarius.  In 1892, Urquhart moved S. gregarius to the Oxyopes genus. In 1998, S. gracilipes was moved to the Oxyopes genus and O. gregarius was recognized as a synonym of this species.
- White, A. (1849). Descriptions of apparently new species of Aptera from New Zealand. Proceedings of the Zoological Society of London 17: 3-6. (reprinted in Ann. Mag. nat. Hist. (2) 5: 50-53, 1850)
- Koch, L. (1878a). Die Arachniden Australiens. Nürnberg 1, 969-1044.
- Urquhart, A. T. (1885). On the spiders of New Zealand. Transactions of the New Zealand Institute 17: 31-53.
- Urquhart, A. T. (1892a). Catalogue of the described species of New Zealand Araneidae. Transactions of the New Zealand Institute 24: 220-230.
- Vink, C. & Sirvid, P. J. (1998). The Oxyopidae (lynx spiders) of New Zealand. New Zealand Entomologist 21: 1-9.