Oxford and Rugby Railway
|Oxford and Rugby Railway|
|System||Great Western Railway|
|Locale||South East England|
|Opened||2 September 1850 (Oxford to Banbury)|
1 October 1852 (to Fenny Compton)
|Owner||Great Western Railway|
|Operator(s)||Great Western Railway|
|Line length||50.5 miles (81.3 km)|
|Number of tracks||2|
|Track gauge||7 ft 1⁄4 in (2,140 mm)|
4 ft 8 1⁄2 in (1,435 mm) standard gauge
On 4 August 1845 Parliament passed an Act for the Great Western Railway to build the Oxford and Rugby Railway from Oxford via Banbury, Fenny Compton, and Southam to Rugby. The proposed route was to be roughly parallel with the Oxford Canal and 50 miles (80 km) long. At Rugby it was intended to link with the Midland Counties Railway.
However, by 1849 GWR considered that gauge interchange issues at Rugby would create problems. On 2 September 1850 the 24 miles (39 km) single track broad gauge section opened from Oxford to Banbury. This section was improved to be a double track mixed-gauge track on 1 October 1852. Due to the gauge problems, the section between the junction with the Birmingham and Oxford Junction Railway at Fenny Compton (opened on 1 October 1852) and Rugby was abandoned and never completed. Evidence of where the line would have branched off can still be seen to this day on the east side of the present section between Banbury and Leamington Spa, roughly 2.5 miles north of Fenny Compton station site.
- "The Great Western Railway". Wolverhampton History and Heritage Website. UK: University of Wolverhampton. Archived from the original on 30 September 2012. Retrieved 25 October 2012. External link in
- Speller, John. "Oxford & Rugby Railway". John Speller's Web Pages — GWR Broad Gauge. Retrieved 25 October 2012.
- "Oxford and Rugby Railway". Hansard. 81. 20 June 1845. pp. 999–1004. Retrieved 25 October 2012.
- Ferris, Robert. "The Great Western Railway in Warwickshire". Warwickshire Railways.com. Retrieved 25 October 2012. External link in
- Daniel, John (2000–2011). "A Selection of Great Western Stations: Banbury". The Great Western Archive. Retrieved 25 October 2012.
- Hendry, R. Preston; Hendry, R. Powell (1992). Paddington to the Mersey. Oxford Publishing Company. p. 8. ISBN 9780860934424. OCLC 877729237.