Over the Border (2006 film)
Over the Border (Korean: 국경의 남쪽; RR: Gukgyeong-ui Namjjok), also known as South of the Border, is a 2006 South Korean melodrama film. It is Ahn Pan-seok's feature film directorial debut.
|Over the Border|
|Directed by||Ahn Pan-seok|
|Produced by||Cha Seung-jae |
|Written by||Jeong Yoo-kyeong|
|Starring||Cha Seung-won |
|Music by||Han Jae-kwon|
|Edited by||Shin Min-kyung|
|Distributed by||CJ Entertainment|
Kim Sun-ho is a horn player for the Mansoodae Art Company, Pyongyang's state orchestra. He comes from a well-to-do family in North Korea and is about to marry his sweetheart, War Memorial guide, Lee Yeon-Hwa. One day, Sun-ho's family receives a letter from his grandfather in Seoul, whom they had thought was dead. They begin to exchange letters, but when the authorities discover their correspondence, this puts the Kim family in grave danger. They decide to flee North Korea and defect to the South, where they are initially penniless and friendless. Devastated that he had to leave Yeon-Hwa behind, Sun-ho works hard to save enough money to help her escape North Korea and join him. But one day, news reaches him that Yeon-Hwa has married another man. Slowly he emerges from his heartbreak and despair to find a way to adapt to life in the South, and eventually marries a kind South Korean woman named Seo Kyung-Joo. But his peaceful life is again disrupted when he learns that Yeon-Hwa has defected to the South, and contrary to what he had heard, she isn't married at all.
- Cha Seung-won as Kim Sun-ho
- Jo Yi-jin as Lee Yeon-Hwa
- Shim Hye-jin as Seo Kyung-Joo
- Song Jae-ho as Sun-ho's father
- Won Mi-won as Sun-ho's mother
- Yoo Hae-jin as Sun-ho's brother-in-law
- Lee Ah-hyun as Sun-ae
- Kim Cheol-Yong as Guide
- Jo Mun-Ui as Broker
- Lee Sang-Ju as Conductor
- Park Hyuk-kwon as Detective in charge of Yeon-Hwa
- Son Jin-ho as Photographer
- Boom as Reporter
- Choi Dae-Woong as Grandfather
- Yang Ji-Woong as Driver
- Gu Bon-Im as a Chinese restaurant owner
- Kim Sang-ho as Drunk (cameo)
- Son Beom-soo as Announcer (cameo)
Awards and nominationsEdit
|2006||5th Korean Film Awards||Best New Actress||Jo Yi-jin||Nominated|
|2007||44th Grand Bell Awards||Best Supporting Actress||Shim Hye-jin||Won|
|Best New Actress||Jo Yi-jin||Won|
|Best Art Direction||Yang Hong-sam||Nominated|
|Best Costume Design||Choi Seon-im||Nominated|
- Joo, Jung-wan (28 January 2006). "South Korean films embrace defectors". Korea Joongang Daily. Retrieved 23 August 2015.
- Lee, Yong-sung (27 April 2006). "Movie Review: Comic star's melodramatic acting in South of the Border". The Korea Herald via Hancinema. Retrieved 23 August 2015.
- Huh, Mun-myung (27 April 2006). "Go South". The Dong-a Ilbo. Retrieved 23 August 2015.
- Kim, Tae-jong (4 May 2006). "Border, Personal Stories of NK Defectors". The Korea Times via Hancinema. Retrieved 23 August 2015.
- "South of the Border - Awards". Cinemasie. Retrieved 23 August 2015.
- D'Sa, Nigel (13 June 2007). "Family Ties Wins Top Prize at Home". Korean Film Biz Zone. Retrieved 23 August 2015.