Over You (Miranda Lambert song)
|Single by Miranda Lambert|
|from the album Four the Record|
|Released||January 9, 2012|
|Miranda Lambert singles chronology|
Lambert performed the song at the 2012 Academy of Country Music Awards on April 1, 2012. On November 1, 2012, Lambert and Blake Shelton won the CMA Award for Song of the Year for "Over You"; in addition, on April 7, 2013, they also won the ACM Award for Song of the Year for "Over You".
"Over You" is a country ballad written by Miranda Lambert and Blake Shelton about a personal experience Shelton had as a teenager when his older brother was killed in a car accident. According to Lambert, she decided to record the song because of Shelton's emotional connection to the song: "Blake said he couldn’t record it for himself or sing it onstage every night, but he would be honored for me to."
The song received mixed reviews from music critics. Kyle Ward of Roughstock gave the song 4½ stars out of 5, favorably describing the song as having "a raw account of pain and emotions. The production and melody of the song is solemn, and Miranda does a great job, giving a very pretty, controlled rendering of the song. She really sets the tone, right from the opening line." Ben Foster of Country Universe gave the song a D+ and described it as being a "really boring song [...] clogged up with superficial cliché phrasing and awkward juvenile rhyme schemes set to a clunky, uninspired melody."
The music video for "Over You" was directed by Trey Fanjoy and shot between January 30, 2012 and February 2, 2012, and premiered on March 1, 2012. The video shows Lambert walking through a wooded area during a light snow, before coming to a set of gravestones, where she proceeds to grieve over the loss of her loved one. Before turning to leave, she places a watch on the grave. Throughout the video, scenes of a white horse running among the trees are also included, as well as two small children playing, one of whom eventually disappears.
Chart and sales performanceEdit
"Over You" debuted at number 52 on the U.S. Billboard Hot Country Songs chart for the week ending January 7, 2012. It also debuted at number 93 on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 chart in November 2011 (prior to its release as an official single), and debuted at number 84 on Canadian Hot 100 chart for the week of March 17, 2012. It has sold 1,338,000 copies in the US as of June 2013.
|Canada (Canadian Hot 100)||52|
|Canada Country (Billboard)||1|
|US Billboard Hot 100||35|
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||1|
|US Country Songs (Billboard)||15|
|United States (RIAA)||2× Platinum||1,338,000|
Cassadee Pope versionEdit
|Single by Cassadee Pope|
|Released||19 November 2012|
In November 2012, Cassadee Pope, contestant and eventual winner of the third season of The Voice, covered the song during the live top 10 performances segment of the show. As part of the show, she was coached through the duration of the show by Blake Shelton, the co-writer of the song.
Pope's version sold 152,000 copies in its debut week, beating Javier Colon's record of 145,000 unit sales for his winner's single "Stitch by Stitch", making it the highest-selling single of the series. It debuted at number 25 on the Billboard Hot 100, and number 3 on the Hot Digital Songs charts. It has sold a total of 277,000 copies in its first five weeks (the duration of the show). The song was later performed again on the final performances of the series on December 17.
|Canada (Canadian Hot 100)|
|US Billboard Hot 100|
|US Country Songs (Billboard)|
- Cindy Watts (December 19, 2011). "Miranda Lambert's 'Over You' tells painful family story". The Tennessean. Retrieved January 4, 2012.
- Kyle Ward (December 19, 2011). "Single Review: Miranda Lambert - "Over You"". Roughstock. Archived from the original on February 3, 2012. Retrieved January 4, 2012.
- Ben Foster (December 12, 2011). "Single Review: Miranda Lambert, "Over You"". Country Universe. Retrieved January 4, 2012.
- Bjorke, Matt (2013-06-05). "June 5, 2013: Florida Georgia Line, Danielle Bradbery, Blake Shelton, Cole Swindell Lead". Roughstock. Archived from the original on September 19, 2013. Retrieved June 6, 2013.
- "Miranda Lambert Chart History (Canadian Hot 100)". Billboard. Retrieved September 28, 2011.
- "Miranda Lambert Chart History (Canada Country)". Billboard. Retrieved May 10, 2018.
- "Miranda Lambert Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard. Retrieved January 4, 2012.
- "Miranda Lambert Chart History (Hot Country Songs)". Billboard. Retrieved January 4, 2012.
- "Best of 2012: Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2012. Retrieved December 14, 2012.
- "American single certifications – Miranda Lambert – Over You". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved April 28, 2021. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH.
- Gallo, Phil. "'The Voice' Scores Hit With Cassadee Pope's 'Over You'". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved 29 November 2012.
- "The Billboard Hot 100 Week of December 8, 2012". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved 29 November 2012.
- "Hot Digital Songs Week of December 8, 2012". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved 29 November 2012.
- "Country Chart News - The Top 30 Digital Singles: The Week of December 12, 2012: Florida Georgia Line Dominance; Cassadee Pope Returns". Roughstock.com. Archived from the original on 29 March 2013. Retrieved 14 December 2012.
- "Canadian Hot 100 Week of December 8, 2012". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved November 29, 2012.
- "US Top Country Songs Week of December 8, 2012". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved 29 November 2012.