Out of Mind, Out of Sight (film)
Out of Mind, Out of Sight is a 2014 Canadian documentary film by John Kastner at the Brockville Mental Health Centre. The film concentrates on two floors of the Brockville facility devoted to forensic psychiatry.
|Out of Mind, Out of Sight|
|Written by||John Kastner|
|Directed by||John Kastner|
|Music by||Bruce Fowler|
|Country of origin||Canada|
|Running time||56 minutes|
|Production company(s)||J.S. Kastner Productions Ltd.|
|Distributor||National Film Board of Canada and TVOntario|
|Original release||May 7, 2014|
Over 18 months, Kastner filmed 46 of the 59 patients on the floors, as well as 75 staff members. The film was shot at the Centre at the same time as Kastner was shooting his 2013 film, NCR: Not Criminally Responsible, exploring the personal impact of the mental disorder defence in Canada.
The documentary analyzes four residents of the Brockville Mental Health Centre, an institution specializing in forensic psychiatrics associated with patients involved in violent crimes. The two men and two women of the film fight stigma surrounding mental illness to regain control of their lives. Patients attending these institutions often disappear from public eye, and their stories go untold.
The film was named best Canadian feature documentary at the Hot Docs Canadian International Documentary Festival 
Writer Michael Thomas from Digital Journal said "Out of Mind, Out of Sight covers nearly every topic one could think of about mental hospitals — what kind of medication do they have, and how often? Do romantic relationships happen on the premises? How are these people treated? Do they have the potential to become violent? All of these questions are answered" and "Despite the grim subject matter, there is some warmth and humour to be found." 
- Thomas, Michael (4 May 2014). "Review: 'Out of Mind, Out of Sight' removes the stigma of mental illness". Digital Journal. Retrieved 8 May 2014.
- Laskaris, Kathryn (2 May 2014). "Hot Docs: John Kastner's Out of Mind, Out of Sight takes $10,000 prize". Toronto Star. Retrieved 3 May 2014.
- Jones, Allison (19 April 2013). "Film explores the meaning of 'not criminally responsible'". The Canadian Press. Toronto: Globe and Mail. Retrieved 25 April 2013.
- Knelman, Martin (16 April 2014). "John Kastner's Out of Mind, Out of Sight at Hot Docs". Toronto Star. Retrieved 8 May 2014.
- Harvey, Dennis (8 May 2014). "Film Review: 'Out of Mind, Out of Sight'". Variety. Retrieved 8 May 2014.
- National Film Board of Canada, 2014, https://www.nfb.ca/film/out_of_mind_out_of_sight/
- Canadian International Documentary Film Festival, 2014. https://www.hotdocs.ca/archive/awards-2014