Out Traveler is a gay and lesbian travel magazine from the publishers of Out and The Advocate, combining photography with coverage of LGBT travel topics. Published as a stand-alone title from 2003 to 2008, it was subsequently incorporated as a supplement to Out magazine and is no longer available for subscriptions as a stand-alone title.
Several Out Traveler Guide travel books were also published under the brand for travel destinations such as New York, Hawaii, Paris and South Florida. According to the publisher, these guides are intended to "inspire sophisticated travelers by showcasing thoughtful and transformative travel experiences that set the standard of gay travel."
- In 2000, Out & About LGBT travel newsletter was acquired by PlanetOut Inc.'s PlanetOut.com, a Web portal for gays and lesbians. After being sold to PlanetOut Inc., the newsletter continued publication until 2004, when it was folded into 'thee Out Traveler magazine, which promoted friendly ski resorts in North America and in the world, and made a list of gay friendly cities and tourist destinations. It also continued the annual Editors Choice Awards, citing best and worst destinations for gay travel.
- The Out Traveler was launched in October 2003 by LPI Media and is now owned by Here Media.
- LPI Media launched Outtraveler.com in conjunction with the 2003 launch of the magazine
- In 2008 Here Media ceased publication of The Out Traveler as a stand-alone publication and redirected the Out & About website to its consolidated Out Traveler website.
Out Traveler Reader's Choice AwardsEdit
The Out Traveler Reader’s Choice Awards were launched in 2004 as a way to recognize the best of LGBT travel. The awards address topics such as Favorite Domestic Destination, Favorite International Airline, Favorite Gay Resort Town, and Favorite Hotel Collection.
- "Subscription: Out Traveler". TheNewMagazineCity.com. Archived from the original on January 9, 2014. Retrieved February 11, 2014.
- "Bibliogroup: Out Traveler Guides". Google Books. Retrieved February 11, 2014.
- Link, Matthew (2008). The Out Traveler: Hawaii. Google Books. ISBN 9781593500733. Retrieved February 11, 2014.
- Boorstein, Jonathan (April 4, 2000). "PlanetOut Completes Purchase of Out & About". Chief Marketer. Retrieved July 19, 2012.
- "PlanetOut Acquires Gay and Lesbian Travel Publication, Out & About". Write News. April 4, 2000. Retrieved July 21, 2012.
- "Gay-friendly resorts". USA Today. November 4, 2004. Retrieved July 21, 2012.
- Payne, January W. (October 3, 2004). "San Diego listed among magazine's gay-friendly destinations". U-T San Diego. Retrieved July 21, 2012.
- Trucco, Terry (June 27, 2004). "Gays' Travel Options Growing". The New York Times. South Florida Sun-Sentinel. Retrieved July 21, 2012.
- Lee, Gary (May 15, 2005). "Where the Boys Are, Part 2". The Washington Post. Retrieved July 21, 2012.
- "Magazine lists top gay destinations". Chicago Tribune. March 15, 2004. Retrieved July 21, 2012.
- "Sandals Resorts Receive 'Rock Bottom' Dishonor for 10th Consecutive Year". Hotel News Resource. July 29, 2003. Retrieved July 21, 2012.
- "Annual 'OUT&ABOUT Travel Awards' Reveal the Best and Worst in Gay and Lesbian Travel for 2005". Hotel News Resource. August 16, 2005. Retrieved July 21, 2012.
- Carlsen, Robert (August 21, 2000). "Out and About magazine selects Amsterdam, Netherlands, as a top travel destinationOut and About magazine selects Amsterdam, Netherlands, as a top travel destination". TravelAge West. Retrieved July 21, 2012.
- "MEDIA BRANDS: The Out Traveler ventures to present a world of new possibilities for the gay community". Retrieved 2003-08-25.
- "Out Traveler's 4th annual Readers' Choice Awards".
- "The Out Traveler Readers Choice Awards". Retrieved 2007-10-23.
- Conrady, Roland; Buck, Martin (2011-02-04). Trends and Issues in Global Tourism 2011. ISBN 9783642177675.
- "San Francisco Pride".
- "Sushi on the Menu for Key West's New Years Eve Party".
- "Fla. Town Faces Threat to Gay-Friendly Ranking".