Otsuka Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd. (大塚製薬株式会社 Ōtsuka Seiyaku Kabushiki-gaisha) (TYO: 4578), abbreviated OPC, is a pharmaceutical company headquartered in Tokyo, Osaka and Naruto, Japan. The company was established August 10, 1964.
|Ōtsuka Seiyaku Kabushiki-gaisha|
|Traded as||TYO: 4578|
TOPIX 100 Component
|Founded||1964; 55 years ago|
Number of locations
|Tatsuo Higuchi (President)|
|Revenue||¥ 531.2 billion (2017)|
|¥ 57.0 billion (2017)|
|Owner||Nomura Trust and Banking investment trusts (11.43%)|
and investment trusts managed by other banks
Number of employees
|Parent||Otsuka Holdings Co. Ltd|
OPC's parent company Otsuka Holdings Co. Ltd. joined the Tokyo Stock Exchange through an initial public offering (IPO) on December 15, 2010, at which time Otsuka Holdings was Japan's No.2 drug maker by sales after industry leader Takeda Pharmaceutical Company. The IPO debuted at $2.4 billion, making it the largest for a pharmaceutical company up to that time.
In early 2012, Otsuka announced it would focus its "future operations on CNS disorders and oncology". This decision necessitated a revision in the terms of an agreement with UCB to end collaboration on immunology products while continuing collaboration in the CNS area.
In December 2014, Otsuka Holdings struck a deal to buy Avanir Pharmaceuticals for $3.54 billion.
In March 2017, the company agreed to acquire Neurovance, Inc. for $250 million, gaining the firm’s Phase III-ready ADHD drug centanafadine (previously EB-1020). Otsuka's subsidiary Otsuka America will pay $100 million upfront for Neurovance, plus up-to $150 million in development and approval milestones. As a result of the transaction, Neurovance will operate as an indirect, wholly owned subsidiary.
- Fujita, Junko; Slodkowski, Antoni (December 16, 2010), Nathan Layne (ed.), Otsuka up 5 pct in Tokyo debut after $2.4 bln IPO-UPDATE 1 (Reuters news), Forexyard, forexyard.com, archived from the original on March 4, 2012, retrieved January 15, 2012
- Otsuka Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd. and UCB Group (UCBJF.PK) End Cimzia Collaboration, to Focus on CNS Disorders Instead, BioSpace, January 13, 2012, retrieved January 15, 2012
- UCB and Otsuka to focus collaboration on CNS disorders, Zenopa, January 13, 2012, zenopa.com, retrieved January 15, 2012
- Tim Kelly (5 September 2013). "Japan's Otsuka to buy cancer drug maker Astex Pharma". Reuters.
- Soble, Jonathan. "Otsuka of Japan to Buy Avanir Pharmaceuticals for $3.5 Billion". nytimes.com. Retrieved 23 April 2018.
- "Otsuka to Buy Neurovance for up to $250M to Acquire Phase III-Ready ADHD Drug - GEN". GEN. Retrieved 23 April 2018.
- (in Japanese) Otsuka Pharmaceutical Company, Limited.