This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2010)
Otopeni (Romanian pronunciation: [otoˈpenʲ]) is a town in Ilfov County, Muntenia, Romania, some 15 km (9.3 mi) north of Bucharest along the DN1 road to Ploiești. It has 15,850 inhabitants, of which 99.0% are ethnic Romanians. One village, Odăile, is administered by the city.
|• Mayor (2020–2024)||Constantin-Silviu Gheorghe (PNL)|
|Area||31.60 km2 (12.20 sq mi)|
|• Density||440/km2 (1,100/sq mi)|
|Time zone||EET/EEST (UTC+2/+3)|
Henri Coandă International Airport is located inside Otopeni. The head office of the airline TAROM is located inside the International Departures Terminal in the airport. In addition the head office of Țiriac Air is in Otopeni.
|Source: Census data|
The oldest discovered human settlements in the region are very old. On the occasion of excavations in 1966 to expand the nearby Henri Coandă International Airport, archaeologist Margaret Constantiniu of the History Museum of Bucharest identified fragments of ancient pottery and other objects that belonged to an important human settlements existing since the first period of the Iron Age. In an overlay was discovered another settlement are dated to the 10th century.
By charter of 14 February 1587, Mihnea Turcitul – voivode of Wallachia – gave Holy Trinity Monastery half to the village of Islazul and half to the village of Hodopeni (today Otopeni) mills and gypsies.
On 20 May 1620, Maria, great Băneasa, Holy Trinity monastery was given back (later Radu Vodă) half the village Hodopeni with Rumani, given by Master Villa, commanding Ruman listen. Historian Constantin Giurescu argued that the name Hodopeni comes from Hodopa or Hodoba.
At the end of the 19th century, Otopeni town was part of Dâmbovița County, Ilfov province, consisting of two villages, Lower Otopeni and Upper Otopeni, with 851 inhabitants in total. The commune operated a school with 29 students and two churches (one in each village). The village chambers were then part of the town Bucoveni, with 125 inhabitants.
This section needs to be updated.(December 2014)
The mayor of Otopeni is Constantin Silviu Gheorghe, from the National Liberal Party. The Otopeni Local Council has 17 councillors, even though before the 2008 local elections, it only had 15. It is considered to be a safe Liberal district, currently having the following party composition:
|Party||Seats in 2004||Seats in 2008||Current Council|
|National Liberal Party||11||13|
|Social Democratic Party||2||2|
- "Results of the 2020 local elections". Central Electoral Bureau. Retrieved 8 June 2021.
- "Populaţia stabilă pe judeţe, municipii, oraşe şi localităti componenete la RPL_2011" (in Romanian). National Institute of Statistics. Retrieved 4 February 2014.
- "Participation Announcement To The Tender Procedure For Public Procurement – Information Technology Services[permanent dead link]." TAROM. 12 June 2008. Retrieved on 28 February 2010. "The headquarters of S.C. Compania Nationala de Transporturi Aeriene Romane TAROM S.A., placed in Otopeni, Calea Bucurestilor 224F, Ilfov County, Romania ( Henri Coanda International Airport-Bucharest, International Departures Terminal, 2nd Floor)."[dead link]
- "Terms and Conditions Archived 2012-01-15 at the Wayback Machine" (Direct English link[dead link]) Țiriac Air. Retrieved on 11 December 2011. "[...]SC Ion Tiriac Air SRL, headquartered in Romania, Otopeni, Ilfov, 224G Bucurestilor Str, PO BOX 21-17,[...]" – Romanian: "[...]Calea Bucureștilor nr. 224G, Otopeni, jud. Ilfov,[...]"
- Darrick Danta, "Ceaușescu's Bucharest", Geographical Review 83, no. 2 (1993)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Otopeni.|
- Otopeni (in Romanian)