Osseo Senior High School
This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Osseo Senior High School is a four-year public high school located in Osseo, Minnesota, United States on 317 2nd Ave. NW. The principal is Michael Lehan. Osseo Senior High School is a part of the Osseo Area School District 279 and is one of three four-year high schools in the district.
|Osseo Senior High School|
317 2nd Avenue NW
|School district||Osseo Area School District 279|
|Teaching staff||78.92 (FTE)|
|Student to teacher ratio||18.64|
|Athletics conference||Northwest Suburban Conference|
Osseo Senior High was the first school to open in District 279. The original school building opened in 1928. The school was designated a high school in 1952. An auditorium/gym was added in 1935. Additional classrooms and a lunch room were added to the building in 1948. A high school addition was made to the building in 1952, and another section of the building was added in 1957. In 1959, a new gymnasium was added to the building, and in 1961, the school received a major expansion. Another wing was added to the new building in 1964, and Tech Ed. rooms were added in 1966. In 1975, voters approved a gymnasium and auditorium expansion to the building. The original 1924 building, with its 1935 and 1948 additions, was demolished to make way for the new gymnasium. The school received a library addition in 1988. In 2002, a new gym was added, the 1959 gym converted into a cafeteria, and new offices were built. From 2002-2005, the exterior of the school was renovated and air conditioning was added to the building. In 2014-2015, 6 new classrooms, weight/cardio room, and a choral rehearsal room were added to allow room for incoming 9th graders. Also multiple rooms were remodeled.
The demographic breakdown of the 1,464 students enrolled in 2015-2016 was:
- Male - 52%
- Female - 47%
- Native American/Alaskan - 1.5%
- Asian/Pacific islanders - 13.9%
- Black - 27.8%
- Hispanic - 7.2%
- White - 49.7%
41.6% of the students were eligible for free or reduced lunch.
- Trent Klatt - former NHL player who played for the Philadelphia Flyers, Minnesota North Stars, Dallas Stars, Vancouver Canucks and Los Angeles Kings.
- Travis Morin - Professional hockey player for the Texas Stars. Was drafted by the Washington Capitols and played for their minor league teams the South Carolina Stingrays and the Hershey Bears.
- Joe Jensen - Professional hockey player who played for the Carolina Hurricanes of the NHL.
- Kevin Kling - commentator for National Public Radio and acclaimed storyteller and Playwright
- Caleb Truax - Professional Boxer, IBF Super Middleweight Champion, Super Middleweight 23-1-1
- James Martinez - Olympic Greco-Roman Wrestling Bronze Medalist, Lightweight
- Jake Wheatley - Pennsylvania state representative
- Mike Enos - Professional wrestler
- "OSSEO SENIOR HIGH". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved February 4, 2019.
- "Search for Public Schools - School Detail for Osseo Senior High". ed.gov. Retrieved 2 September 2015.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Osseo Senior High School