Order of the White Double Cross
|Order of the White Double Cross|
Rád Bieleho dvojkríža
|Awarded by President of Slovakia|
|Awarded for||Services to Slovakia|
|Sovereign||H.E. Andrej Kiska|
|First induction||H.Em. Jozef Tomko (1994)|
|Last induction||H.E. George Abela (06 september 2011)|
|Total inductees||185 (total)|
49 (1st Class)
92 (2nd Class)
45 (3rd Class)
|Next (higher)||None (highest)|
|Next (lower)||Andrej Hlinka Order|
Ribbon bar of the 1st Class
Ribbon bar of the 2nd Class
Ribbon bar of the 3rd Class
The Order was instituted on 1 March 1994 after Slovakia became independent on 1 January 1993. It continues the Czechoslovak Order of the White Lion, which was created in 1922 as an award for foreigners.
The Order of the White Double Cross is conferred only upon foreign citizens, with the sole exception of the current President of Slovakia, who is awarded the Order by the National Council for the duration of his or her term of office upon inauguration.
According to the Order's statute, it is awarded:
- "for the comprehensive development of relations between the state, whose citizens they are and the Slovak Republic";
- "for the empowerment of the Slovak Republic’s position in international relations";
- "for meeting the foreign policy priorities of Slovakia";
- "for otherwise outstanding achievement in the benefit of the Slovak Republic"; or
- "for the outstanding spread of good reputation of Slovakia abroad."
The Order of the White Double Cross has two divisions, civil and military, and three classes:
- First Class or Grand Cross - badge may be worn on a sash on the right shoulder, plus the star is worn on the left chest;
- Second Class or Grand Officer - badge may be worn on a necklet and the star is worn on the left chest;
- Third Class or Commander - badge may be worn on a necklet.
(badge with sash and breast star)
(badge with necklet and breast star)
(badge with necklet)
The star is an eight-pointed gold breast star, with golden straight rays between the points of the star. The central disc on the star has a white double cross on a red enamel background, which is surrounded by a gold wreath of laurel and oak leaves.
The badge of the Order is of the same design as the star, although smaller. Furthermore, the upper point is missing and the badge is suspended on a stylized leaf of a common lime tree, with or without the crossed swords of the Military Division.
The ribbon of the order is blue with a red central stripe.