Former court in Beetsterzwaag
Location in Friesland
|• Body||Municipal council|
|• Mayor||Ellen van Selm (D66)|
|• Total||227.64 km2 (87.89 sq mi)|
|• Land||224.40 km2 (86.64 sq mi)|
|• Water||3.24 km2 (1.25 sq mi)|
|Elevation||3 m (10 ft)|
|• Density||132/km2 (340/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
|Area code||0512, 0513, 0516|
Dutch Topographic map of the municipality of Opsterland, June 2015
Twin towns — sister citiesEdit
Opsterland is twinned with:
The choice of twinning with both an Israeli city and a Palestinian one is Opsterland's modest contribution to trying to solve the Israeli-Palestinian Conflict. As well as bilateral contacts with both of their partners, the Dutch officials try to encourage trilateral meetings and induce greater contact between Ra'anana and Beit Sahour, which are located at a short geographical distance from each other but are separated by conflict and mutual mistrust. Recently Francisca Ravestein, Nahum Hofree, Hani Al-Hayik - the mayors, respectively, of Opsterland, Ra'anana and Beit Sahour - jointly inaugurated a photo exhibition at the municipal building in Opsterland.
- Tinco Martinus Lycklama à Nijeholt (1837 in Beetsterzwaag - 1900) a Frisian aristocrat, adventurer, writer, socialite and a Dutch orientalist
- Sytze Wierda (1839 in Hemrik – 1911) an architect and engineer, worked on the architecture of the South African Republic
- Tjeerd Bottema (1884 in Langezwaag – 1978) a painter, illustrator and book cover designer
- Hein Vos (1903 in Tijnje – 1972) a politician and economist
- Eduard Meine van Zinderen-Bakker (1907 in Opsterland – 2002) a Dutch-born South African palynologist
- Gerard van Klaveren (born 1951 in Terneuzen) a Dutch politician
- Riemer van der Velde (born 1940 in Bakkeveen) the former chairman of football club SC Heerenveen
- Foppe de Haan (born 1943 in Lippenhuizen) a Dutch football coach with SC Heerenveen
- Lieuwe de Boer (born 1951 in Ureterp) a former ice speed skater, bronze medallist at the 1980 Winter Olympics
- Hilbert van der Duim (born 1957 in Beetsterzwaag) a Dutch former speed skater, participated in the 1980 and 1984 Winter Olympics
- "Burgemeester Francisca Ravestein" [Mayor Elma van Selm] (in Dutch). Gemeente Opsterland. Archived from the original on 27 September 2013. Retrieved 23 September 2013.
- "Kerncijfers wijken en buurten 2020" [Key figures for neighbourhoods 2020]. StatLine (in Dutch). CBS. 24 July 2020. Retrieved 19 September 2020.
- "Postcodetool for 9244CR". Actueel Hoogtebestand Nederland (in Dutch). Het Waterschapshuis. Retrieved 23 September 2013.
- "Bevolkingsontwikkeling; regio per maand" [Population growth; regions per month]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 1 January 2019. Retrieved 1 January 2019.
- "Stedenband Opsterland-Ra'anana" [City Connection Opsterland-Ra'anana]. Stedenbanden.nl. Archived from the original on 2011-07-24.
Vanaf 1960 onderhoudt de gemeente Opsterland contacten met de gemeente Ra'anana. Deze contacten zijn in 1963 officieel vastgelegd in een 'vriendschapsverdrag'. In maart 2000 is een delegatie naar Ra'anana gereisd om te praten over een meer themagerichte invulling van het verdrag.
- "Ra'anana: Twin towns & Sister cities - Friends around the World". raanana.muni.il. Archived from the original on 28 February 2010. Retrieved 24 March 2010.
- *Ra'anana Municipality website Archived 2012-06-10 at the Wayback Machine
|This Friesland location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|