Open Mobile is a mobile network operator that offers mobile phone services exclusively in Puerto Rico. The company was established on June 12, 2007, as a relaunch of NewComm Wireless Services (formerly d/b/a Movistar). Its new owners, M/C Partners and Columbia Capital, acquired Movistar's assets for $160 million USD after Movistar filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection on December 2006.
|Predecessor||NewComm Wireless Services (d/b/a Movistar)|
|Founded||June 12, 2007 (relaunch of Movistar)|
|Headquarters||Guaynabo, Puerto Rico|
|Juan Saca (President & CEO of Open Mobile)|
Open Mobile's business model is based on the advance payment and unlimited local call services. The company was able to achieve positive EBITDA after 5 months of its relaunch. Since 2015, the company began to offer safelink mobile re-certification procedures. 
In 2014, Verizon Wireless signed a 2G and 3G roaming agreement with Open Mobile to allow Verizon customers to use Open Mobile's network without charge. This agreement came when Claro shut down the former Verizon CDMA network in Puerto Rico in favor of GSM, UMTS, and LTE.
On February 23, 2017, Sprint and Open Mobile announced an agreement to combine their businesses in Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands into a new joint venture. Both companies will continue to operate separately until the transaction closes. The transaction close is subject to review and approval by the Federal Communications Commission, along with other regulatory authorities, which is expected to take several months.  
- Open Mobile, PR Wireless, Inc., Company Profiles
- "Columbia Capital". Retrieved 2 June 2016.
- Open Mobile deploying $250M 4G LTE network before year’s end, by Michelle Kantrow, October 20, 2011, News is my Business™
- "Recertify Safelink Program Eligibility". 20 April 2016. Retrieved 2 June 2016.
- "Sprint and Open Mobile Announce Joint Venture in Puerto Rico and U.S. Virgin Islands". 23 February 2017. Retrieved 25 April 2017.
- "Sprint y Open Mobile anuncian la creacion de empresa conjunta en Puerto Rico e Islas Virgenes (USVI)". 23 February 2017. Retrieved 25 April 2017.
|This article about a telecommunications company is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|