Oostzaan (Dutch pronunciation: [oːstˈsaːn] (listen)) is a municipality and a town in the Zaanstreek, Netherlands, in the province of North Holland. The municipality had a population of 9,757 in 2019. Oostzaan has a total area of 16.08 km2 (6.21 sq mi) of which 4.55 km2 (1.76 sq mi) is water.
|• Body||Municipal council|
|• Mayor||Marvin Polak (VVD)|
|• Total||16.08 km2 (6.21 sq mi)|
|• Land||11.53 km2 (4.45 sq mi)|
|• Water||4.55 km2 (1.76 sq mi)|
|Elevation||0 m (0 ft)|
|• Density||846/km2 (2,190/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
Oostzaan—together with Westzaan and Assendelft—are considered the "mother towns" of the Zaanstreek (the region around the River Zaan), of which they are the three oldest towns. Oostzaan also played a role in the VOC and WIC shipping and shipbuilding.
In the 17th century Oostzaan had its own pirate, named Claes Compaen. Originally sailing from the Netherlands as a legal pirate captain, in the possession of pirate letters, he soon began to raid ships for his private account, from the English Channel, to the Mediterranean Sea and the African-Atlantic coast into even the Caribbean Sea. He liquidated the booty on the coast of Ireland, later in Salé and the Barbary Coast. A street in Oostzaan is named for Claes Compaen.
The town has a Reformed church with a cruciform groundplan, the Great Church (1760), which contains two ship models that recall the days when Oostzaan was an important sea-faring community. In the Oostzijderveld area of Oostzaan stands a windmill, De Windjager (The Wind Hunter).
Oostzaan consists of several hamlets,
- Achterdichting (Get Behind The Seal),
- De Heul,
- Kerkbuurt (church neighborhood),
- Noordeinde (North end),
- Zuideinde (South end).
Kerkbuurt and the northern part of Zuideinde are the center of Oostzaan.
The municipal council of Oostzaan consists of 13 seats, which are divided as follows:
The poultry company Meyn Food Processing Technology is headquartered in Oostzaan.
- Jacob Cornelisz van Oostsanen (before 1470 – 1533) a Northern Netherlandish designer of woodcuts and a painter
- Claes Gerritszoon Compaen (1587 in Oostzaan - 1660 in Oostzaan) a Dutch corsair, merchant, a privateer for the Dutch Republic and pirate
- Albert Heijn (1865 in Oostzaan – 1945) a Dutch entrepreneur who founded Albert Heijn, a Dutch supermarket chain
- Grietje de Jongh (1924 in Oostzaan – 2002) a Dutch sprinter, competed at the 1948 and 1952 Summer Olympics
- Robert Tijdeman (born 1943 in Oostzaan) a Dutch mathematician, specializing in number theory, wrote Tijdeman's theorem
- Trijnie Rep (born 1950 in Oostzaan) a Dutch former speed skater, who competed at the 1972 Winter Olympics
- Charles Zwolsman Sr. (1955 in Oostzaan – 2011) a Dutch drug dealer and professional racecar driver
- "Burgemeester" [Mayor] (in Dutch). Gemeente Oostzaan. Archived from the original on 20 March 2014. Retrieved 19 March 2014.
- "Kerncijfers wijken en buurten 2020" [Key figures for neighbourhoods 2020]. StatLine (in Dutch). CBS. 24 July 2020. Retrieved 19 September 2020.
- "Postcodetool for 1511BD". Actueel Hoogtebestand Nederland (in Dutch). Het Waterschapshuis. Retrieved 19 March 2014.
- "Bevolkingsontwikkeling; regio per maand" [Population growth; regions per month]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 1 January 2019. Retrieved 1 January 2019.