Onondaga Creek is a major tributary of Onondaga Lake which is located in Onondaga County, New York. The headwaters of the creek originate 27 miles (43 km) south of the city of Syracuse near the hamlet of Vesper, in the town of Tully, New York. The creek flows north through the Tully Valley and through the city of Syracuse where it empties into Onondaga Lake.
|County||Onondaga County, New York|
|• location||Vesper, New York, Onondaga County, New York|
|Onondaga Lake, Syracuse, Onondaga County, New York|
|Length||27.2 mi (43.8 km)|
|Basin size||111 sq mi (290 km2)|
|• average||183 cu ft/s (5.2 m3/s)|
|• minimum||23 cu ft/s (0.65 m3/s)|
|• maximum||2,040 cu ft/s (58 m3/s)|
In the late 1940s, the Army Corp. of Engineers built a flood control dam and reservoir within the Onondaga Nation Reservation for the purpose of regulating the peak flow that reaches the city of Syracuse. The structure influences the creek's flow pattern only in the event of a large runoff when a portion of very high flow is stored in the reservoir and later released back into the creek when the water recedes.
- "Onondaga Creek Fact Sheet" (PDF). Onondaga Nation. Retrieved 2014-11-04. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "USGS Gage #04240010 on Onondaga Creek at Spencer Street, Syracuse, NY" (PDF). National Water Information System. U.S. Geological Survey. 1970–2013. Retrieved 2014-11-04. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "System Description: Onondaga Creek". OurLake, 2009. Retrieved November 6, 2011. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Currie, S., Firstenberg, M., Geartz, G., Jeffords, B., Kreider, T. & Nodine, D. "Onondaga Creek Restoration Project Report: Trolley Lot Restoration Conceptual Design" (PDF). Onondaga Environmental Institute, 10 December 2009. Retrieved 12 May 2016. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link) CS1 maint: multiple names: authors list (link)
- Media related to Onondaga Creek at Wikimedia Commons