Omega Red (rapper)
Robert Grant, better known as O'Mega Red, is an American rapper, CEO and record producer of The Stay Grindin Music Group and an occasional actor. He is the nephew of singer and songwriter Donna Summer.
|Birth name||Robert Grant|
|Born||October 17, 1978|
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
|Genres||Hip hop, East Coast hip hop, alternative hip hop, pop R&B electro|
|Occupation(s)||Rapper, Music producer, Musical arranger, Songwriter, Music Publisher|
|Years active||2002– present|
|Labels||Stay Grindin Inc. Stay Grindin Music LLC|
|Associated acts||Ray J, KRS-One, Noel "Detail" Fisher, Ed O G, Big Shug, Donna Summer, Cold 187um, Bruce Sudano , Mighty Mystic , Rosette Sharma , 88-Keys|
O'Mega Red was born Robert Grant in Boston, Massachusetts, a native of Dorchester and St. Matthews Parish. His parents are of Native American, African and Irish descent. He attended John F. Kennedy Middle School in Randolph, Massachusetts and is a graduate of Blue Hills Technical High School. O’Mega Red’s formative years were in a large household surrounded by music and many shared intimate moments with his parents and two siblings. His Father was a Motown and Jazz enthusiast, and exposed O’Mega to the music of The Temptations, Betty White, The Four Tops, Johnnie Taylor, James Brown, Otis Redding, Sam & Dave, Isaac Hayes, Tyrone Davis, Aretha Franklin and Sam Cooke at an early age. At this time, he began to cultivate his skills on the saxophone where he excelled. After high school, Grant served the United States Air Force.
O'Mega Red's music singles "Soul Clap", "Magic" and "Forever Young", have been spun by radio and club DJ's nationwide. He has also maintained his exposure through the release of three mix tapes (The Redtape Vol.1 hosted by Dj Roy Barboza, The Redtape Vol.2 hosted by Dj Sammy Smoove, and The Redtape Vol.3 hosted by Dj Chubby Chub). O'Mega Red has been featured in the Source Magazine for Best of the Best Underground Mixtapes, and was one of the first ten in the Toyota Scion Next Up competition O'mega Red's musical impact in the Boston scene was written about by the Boston Globe newspaper, which did a feature on him in April 2007.
In 2008, O'Mega Red recorded the single "Turn It Around", featuring William Raymond "Ray J" Norwood Jr. Following up with the success of this record, O'Mega Red then recorded three singles "He Luvs It", "Endz" and "Quota Boy" produced by Noel "Detail" Fisher of Konvict Muzik. His production team, The Jugganatuz also remixed the title track of Donna Summer's 2008 hit album Crayons featuring him and Ziggy Marley. O'Mega Red is also honored to have recorded with living legend KRS-One for the single "Hip Hop Party" produced by Duane "DaRock" Ramos. He collaborated with Rampage, CEO of the Flipmode Squad on the track "Jump". The single “Pop 3” produced by Duane Darock Ramos, hit airwaves in 2009, adding to the momentum of the growing Stay Grindin label.
O'Mega Red then released another hit in 2009 “Endz” produced by Noel "Detail" Fisher of Konvict Muzik, as well as the “Endz” Remix in 2010. In late 2011, the international sensation “I’m A Problem” again produced by "Detail", earned O'Mega Best Rap/Hip Hop Artist of the Hollywood Music Media Awards. Most recently, O'Mega Red released “Angel” featuring his aunt Donna Summer and produced by Stay Grindin Music for O'Mega Red's forthcoming album Red October. O'Mega is nominated again for Best Rap/Hip Hop Artist of the Hollywood Music Media Awards for both he and Donna Summer's work on the record "Angel".
- Juggernaut (2002) – Third Eye Records
- Red October (2018) – Stay Grindin Inc. / Big Shot Music Group
- 2004 “Soul Clap”
- 2004 “Is u Hold’n”
- 2005 “Do You”
- 2006 “Magic”
- 2007 “Forever Young”
- 2008 Donna Summer “Crayons” Remix ft. Ziggy Marley & O’Mega Red (produced by Stay Grindin Music)
- 2008 “Turn It Around” ft. Ray J (produced By Stay Grindin Music)
- 2008 “She Luvs It” (produced by Detail)
- 2009 “Hip Hop Party” ft. KRS ONE (produced by Duane Darock Ramos)
- 2009 “Pop 3” (produced by Duane Darock Ramos)
- 2009 “Endz” (produced by Detail)
- 2010 “Endz” Remix (produced by Detail)
- 2011 “I’m A Problem” (produced by Detail)
- 2012 “Angel” ft. Donna Summer (produced by Stay Grindin Music)
- 2015 “Blow It All” ft. Detail (produced by Detail)
- 2016 “Belichick” (produced by Kyduh )
- The Redtape Vol.1 hosted by Dj Roy Barboza
- The Redtape Vol.2 hosted by Dj Sammy Smoove
- The Redtape Vol.3 hosted by Dj Chubby Chub
- O'Mega Red is a two-time recipient of the New England Urban Music Awards Rap Artist of the Year (2006-2007)
- His production team Stay Grindin Music won Producer of the Year (2006)
- O'Mega Red is a two-time nominee for Lyricist of the Year by the Massachusetts Industry Committee Awards (2006-2007)
- Nominee for Best Rap Act of (2009) Boston Music Awards
- 2010 nominated for Best Hip Hop Artist by Hollywood Music In Media Awards
- 2011 recipient of Best Rap/Hip Hop Artist of the Hollywood Music Media Awards
- Nominated in 2012 Best Rap/Hip Hop Artist of the Hollywood Music Media Awards
O'Mega Red played a small uncredited role as an orderly in the Paramount Pictures film Shutter Island directed by Martin Scorsese featuring Leonardo DiCaprio. He also played a gang member in the 2008 independent film Roid Rage produced by Wicked Pissa Films. 2012 O'Mega also played a DJ in the Lions Gate Film stoner comedy Highway directed by Coke Daniels starring Eddie Griffin, Keith David, Gary Owen, Devin The Dude & Lil Duval
- "Exclusive: Interview with Omega Red pt. 1". Rap-n-blues.com. 2014-06-20. Retrieved 2014-08-01.
-  Archived July 25, 2012, at the Wayback Machine
- Reynolds, Josh. "Putting the pieces back together". The Boston Globe. Retrieved 12 March 2012.
- "Welcome to New England's Annual Urban Music Awards". Urbanmusicawards.org. 2008-04-19. Retrieved 2014-08-01.
- "Welcome to New England's 2nd Annual Urban Musica Awards". Urbanmusicawards.org. Retrieved 2014-08-01.
-  Archived May 19, 2014, at the Wayback Machine
- Article: Boston Hip Hop Fest Boston City Hall Plaza
- Profile: Omega Red at MySpace
- Article: NahRight News/Blog
- Article: TruConversations Blog
- Article: The Boston Globe
- Article: Austin Music Hall
- Article: FamCast
- Video: YouTube
- Video: Filmehd
- Video: Boston Hip Hop Artist - AOL Video
- Video: Wale, Omega Red, Daytona & Triple C Freestyle on Rock Me TV
- Video: Po Politikin
- Article: allhiphop.com