Olivella is a municipality in Catalonia, in the province of Barcelona, Spain. It is situated in the comarca of Garraf.
|Coordinates: 41°19′0″N 1°49′0″E / 41.31667°N 1.81667°E|
|• Mayor||Marta Verdejo Sánchez (2015)|
|• Total||38.8 km2 (15.0 sq mi)|
|Elevation||211 m (692 ft)|
|• Density||96/km2 (250/sq mi)|
The first known village in the area was founded in 992 around a castle known as Castell vell. The inhabitants lived off dryland agriculture. This initial nucleus was almost abandoned after the black plague caused numerous deaths.
The area was resettled in the 14th century and gradually prospered. Nowadays there are some new housing developments in the area as well as the "Sakya Tashi Ling" Buddhist monastery, located in Plana Novella.
The village is located in the Garraf Massif, in a natural park area, not far from Barcelona.
- ^ "Ajuntament d'Olivella". Generalitat of Catalonia. Retrieved 2015-11-13.
- ^ "El municipi en xifres: Olivella". Statistical Institute of Catalonia. Retrieved 2015-11-23.
- ^ Municipal Register of Spain 2018. National Statistics Institute.
- ^ AADD. Museus i Centres de Patrimoni Cultural a Catalunya, Departament de Cultura de la Generalitat de Catalunya, Barcelona 2010, ISBN 84-393-5437-1
Media related to Olivella at Wikimedia Commons
- Olivella official website (in Catalan)
- Government data pages (in Catalan)