Oksana Ivanivna Syroyid (Ukrainian: Оксана Іванівна Сироїд, born May 2, 1976) is a Ukrainian politician and jurist. She was elected to the Verkhovna Rada in the 2014 Ukrainian parliamentary elections. In December 2014, she became the first woman to serve as the deputy speaker of the Ukrainian Parliament. She is also the director of the Ukrainian Legal Foundation.
Syroyid in October 2014
|Deputy Chairwoman of the Verkhovna Rada|
November 27, 2014
|Preceded by||Ruslan Koshulynskyi|
|People's Deputy of Ukraine|
November 27, 2014 – Present
|Constituency||Self Reliance, No.4|
May 2, 1976 |
Horodyshche, Sokal Raion, Lviv Oblast, Ukrainian SSR
|Political party||Self Reliance|
Early life and educationEdit
Oksana Syroyid was born in Horodyshche, a small village of Sokal Raion, Lviv Oblast. In 1993, she graduated from Chervonohrad school No.7. In 1993, she enrolled at the National University of Kyiv-Mohyla Academy and received a bachelor's degree in political science in 1997. In 1998, Syroyid began studying at Kiev University's Center of Law Studies and graduated as a Master of Laws in 2000. In 2002, she moved to Canada to study at Ottawa University, receiving a Master of Laws degree in 2003.
In 1994, Syroyid became an assistant to Mykhailo Horyn and later worked for Ihor Yukhnovskyi. From 1997 to 2002, she was employed at various analytical organizations that monitored reforms in Ukraine, including the Interdepartment analytical consulting council on matters of development of production forces and producing relations (Cabinet of Ukraine), the United Nations Development Programme, and the Department for International Development.
While studying in Canada, Syroyid worked as an intern for the Gowlings law firm. From 2004 to 2012, she worked as a national manager for the OSCE Project Coordinator in Ukraine. In September 2012, she became the director of a charity fund, the Ukrainian Legal Foundation. Established in 1992 and sponsored by George Soros, the foundation works toward the reformation of the legal system in Ukraine.
During the 2014 Ukrainian parliamentary elections, Syroyid was elected to the Verkhovna Rada on the party list of Self Reliance. On December 4, 2014, she became the Deputy Chairwoman of the Verkhovna Rada.
- "Оксану Сироїд обрано заступником Голови Верховної Ради України" [Oksana Syroyid was elected as the Deputy Chairman of the Verkhovna Rada] (in Ukrainian). Self Reliance. December 2, 2014. Retrieved 12 December 2014.
- "Народний депутат України VIII скликання: Сироїд Оксана Іванівна" [People's Deputy of Ukraine of the VIII convocation: Oksana Ivanivna Syroyid] (in Ukrainian). Verkhovna Rada website.
- "Oksana Syroid". Self Reliance.
- "АВТОБІОГРАФІЯ" [Autobiography] (PDF) (in Ukrainian). Self Reliance. 12 September 2014.
- "Alumni: Oksana Syroyid". National University of Kyiv Mohyla Academy.
- Goncharova, Olena (December 11, 2014). "First woman as deputy speaker hopes to make parliament more transparent". Kyiv Post.
- Samokhvalova, Lana (December 5, 2014). "Оксана Сироїд: Сергій Ківалов - моя муза, я саме через нього у парламенті" [Oksana Syroyid: Serhiy Kivalov is my inspiration, he's the reason I'm in the parliament]. Ukrinform (in Ukrainian).