Okezie Victor Ikpeazu is the 9th and current Governor of Abia State, in office since May 29, 2015. He was elected on the platform of the Peoples Democratic Party. He was re-elected as the governor of Abia state after winning the March 9th, gubernatorial election.
Okezie Victor Ikpeazu
|9th Governor of Abia State|
|Assumed office |
May 29, 2015
|Lieutenant||Ude Oko Chukwu|
|Preceded by||Theodore kalu|
|1st Deputy General Manager of Abia State Environmental Protection Agency|
May 5, 2013 – October 10, 2014
|General Manager of the Abia State Passenger Integrated Manifest Scheme ASPIMS|
March, 2011 – May 5, 2013
|Chairman of the Governing Council of Abia State College of Health Technology|
June 2010 – May 29, 2011
|General Manager of Abia State Passenger Integrated Manifest Scheme ASPIMS|
|Chairman of Obingwa Local Government Area|
|Born||October 18, 1964|
Abia State, Nigeria
|Political party||People's Democratic Party (2002-2006, 2010–present)|
Progressive Peoples Alliance (2006-2010)
|Spouse(s)||Nkechi Ikpeazu, (nee Nwakanma)|
Okezie was born on October 18, 1964, to the family of late Pa Ishmael and Deaconess Bessie Ikpeazu of Umuebere in Umuobiakwa village, Isialaukwu, Mbato Autonomous Community in Obingwa Local Government Area of Abia State, Nigeria. Ikpeazu attended Amaise Central Primary School, Umuobiakwa. In 1973, while in primary five, he gained admission into Eziama High School, Aba and later moved to Ihie High School, Isiala Ngwa where he took his School certificate examination in 1979. In 1980, at the age of 16, he gained admission into the University of Maiduguri to study Clinical Biochemistry and graduated with a B.Sc. (Hons.) Second Class Upper Division in August, 1984.
From August 1984 to August 1985, he served as a Clinical Biochemist in the Medical Laboratory of the Rivers State University of Science and Technology, Port Harcourt for his National Youth Service. Okezie Ikpeazu returned to the University of Maiduguri for an M.Sc Degree in Biochemical Toxicology and graduated in 1990. In 1994, at the age of 30, he obtained a Doctorate Degree, Ph.D in Biochemical Pharmacology from the University of Calabar.
Before joining politics, Okezie Ikpeazu had been a lecturer in several Nigerian educational institutions.
On December 31, 2015, a Court of Appeal sitting in Owerri sacked Ikpeazu as Governor and declared Alex Otti as the winner of the 2015 gubernatorial election held in April 11 and April 25, 2015. On 27 June 2016, Justice Okon Abang of the Federal High Court, Abuja ordered Ikpeazu to vacate his office as governor upon allegations of false information and forgery of documents prior to the 2015 gubernatorial election. The suit was however dismissed by a Federal High Court in Owerri. Okezie Ikpeazu ran for a second term under his party, PDP and emerged the winner of the election, hereby welcoming his second term as Governor of Abia state.
- "Abia: Orji's shoes are big but I'll run faster — Ikpeazu". Vanguard Newspapers. Retrieved 2015-04-18.
- "APGA Faction Adopts Okezie Ikpeazu for Governor". Daily Post. 2015-04-07. Retrieved 2015-04-18.
- Admin. "OKEZIE IKPEAZU BIOGRAPHY / PROFILE". Manpower. Retrieved 27 January 2019.
- Admin. "Okezie Victor Ikpeazu". Nigeria Galleria. Retrieved 27 January 2019.
- Abdulmalik, Abdulrahman (31 December 2015). "Appeal Court sacks Abia Governor, Okezie Ikpeazu, declares APGA's Alex Otti winner". Premium Times. Retrieved 1 January 2016.
- "Abia Election: Appeal Court Declares Alex Otti Of APGA Winner". Channels TV. 31 December 2015. Retrieved 1 January 2015.
- "Breaking News: Court sacks Abia Gov, Ikpeazu". Vanguard News. 27 June 2016. Retrieved 9 July 2015.
- Okakwu, Evelyn; Eze, James (8 July 2016). "Another court says Abia's Okezie Ikpeazu must remain governor". Premium Times. Retrieved 9 July 2015.
- Dr. Okezie Victor Ikpeazu ADIC Retrieved April 1, 2019
- Adventist Church in Rwanda Commends Okezie Ikpeazu, describes him as an Ambassador of Christ, Church Vanguard Retrieved April 1, 2019