Okafor's Law is a 2016 Nigerian romantic comedy drama film written, directed and produced by Omoni Oboli. The film stars Blossom Chukwujekwu, Omoni Oboli, Toyin Aimakhu, Gabriel Afolayan, Ufuoma McDermott, Richard Mofe Damijo, Tina Mba, Kemi Lala Akindoju and Ken Erics.
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Omoni Oboli|
|Produced by||Omoni Oboli|
|Written by||Omoni Oboli|
|Starring||Blossom Chukwujekwu |
Richard Mofe Damijo
Kemi Lala Akindoju
|Music by||Kulanen Ikyo|
|Distributed by||FilmOne Distributions|
|Budget||₦40 million|
The film goes against the view that straight men and women can't just be friends. It brings this true by telling the story of Chucks (Blossom Chukwujekwu) nicknamed by his friends as the Terminator, an ardent player with ladies, whose quest to proving this law to his friends brings him three woman he must re-seduce: Ify (Ufuoma McDermott), Tomi (Toyin Aimakhu) and Ejiro (Omoni Oboli), whose lives have drastically changed. And this must be done within 21 days. This challenge of their various new status makes his quest to win the bet more and more insurmountable as he tries to prove the immortality of the long age law: Okafor's Law.
- Blossom Chukwujekwu as Chuks Okafor (a.k.a. Terminator)
- Toyin Aimakhu as Tomi Tijani
- Omoni Oboli as Ejiro
- Gabriel Afolayan as Chuks (a.k.a. Baptist)
- Ken Erics as Chuks (a.k.a. Fox)
- Ufuoma McDermott as Ify Omene
- Richard Mofe Damijo as Mr. Onome
- Tina Mba as Mom
- Kemi Lala Akindoju as Onome
- Mary Lazarus as Kamsi
- Halima Abubakar as Cassandra
- Yvonne Jegede as Toyin
The film was first released on 12 September 2016 at Toronto International Film Festival, Canada. It was scheduled to be screened on 10 November 2016 at the Stockholm International Film Festival, Sweden and later in April 2017, Nigeria.
Upon the film's release at the 2016 Toronto International Film Festival, it was accused of Intellectual property theft by Jude Idada, a writer, who claimed to be the owner of the film's story; he also claimed to have written part of the script; all without appropriate credit or remuneration. On 24 March 2017, during the premiere of the film, a court injunction was delivered, which prevented the film from being screened at the event, and also from any future screenings. However, the injunction was lifted in court on 30 March 2017, due to the lack of enough evidence to justify a suspension of the film's release. The film was allowed to open in theatres on 31 March, as originally scheduled, pending the conclusion of the court proceedings. Furthermore, it is being suggested that part of the box office earnings for Okafor's Law might be up for damages, if the court should rule in favour of Idada.
- by Okogba (2016-09-23). "Omoni Oboli's 'Okafor's Law' sold out three halls at TIFF - Vanguard News". Vanguardngr.com. Retrieved 2016-12-31.
- "Actor rates Omoni Oboli's film, Okafor's Law, high". P.M. NEWS Nigeria. 2016-07-19. Retrieved 2016-12-31.
- "Gabriel Afolayan speaks on Omoni Oboli's new film, Okafor's Law - The Nation Nigeria". Thenationonlineng.net. 2016-07-13. Retrieved 2016-12-31.
- ""Okafor's Law": Omoni Oboli, Richard Mofe Damijo, Toyin Aimakhu star in new movie - Movies - Pulse" (in German). Pulse.ng. 2016-07-01. Retrieved 2016-12-31.
- "Okafor's Law Nollywood Comedy Movie Sets In Ikorodu Lagos". NGCube.com.
- Omoni Oboli. "Okafor's Law". Tiff.net. Retrieved 2016-12-31.
- "Okafor's Law | Stockholm Film Festival". Stockholmfilmfestival.se. Retrieved 2016-12-31.
- by Okogba (2016-09-24). "Untold story of Omoni Oboli's plagiarism saga: What my experience with the actress will teach Nigerian film makers - Vanguard News". Vanguardngr.com. Retrieved 2016-12-31.
- by Ikenna (2016-09-09). "Omoni Oboli under attack, accused of stealing idea for her 'Okafor Law'' - Vanguard News". Vanguardngr.com. Retrieved 2016-12-31.
- Augoye, Jayne (2017). "Court injunction halts Omoni Oboli's movie screening". Premium Times.
- Izuzu, Chidumga (March 24, 2017). "Omoni Oboli served an injunction to halt release of "Okafor's Law" in Nigeria". Pulse.ng.
- "BREAKING: Omoni Oboli Granted Go-Ahead To Release "Okafor's Law" Tomorrow, Friday". True Nollywood Stories.