Ogwashi Ukwu, sometimes spelled Ogwashi Uku, is an Igbo town in Delta State, Nigeria. It is located west of the state capital, Asaba and is the headquarters for the local government area, Aniocha South. The population of Ogwashi-Ukwu is about 50,234. Its numbers have vastly increased. It is in the Anioma part of Delta State, the Igbo-speaking part and its natives are Enuani people. Nine villages make up Ogwashi-Ukwu. These are: Ikelike (the original inhabitants), Umu Dei, Azungwu, Agidiase, Agidiehe, Ogbe Akwu, Ishekpe, Ogbe Onicha and Ogbe Ani.
|• Obi||Obi Ifechukwude Chukuka Okonjo 2nd|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (WAT)|
- Jay Jay Okocha Stadium
- Ogwashi-Ukwu Post Office,
- Ukwu Orji at Ogbeofu,
- Ihu Ngwu at Azungwu
- Abu Ano Market at Ishekpe and
- Ogwashi Ukwu Carnival (Ineh Festival)
- Kwale junction
- Housa Quaters
- Ogige - this is an area that borders the Post Office. It was formerly the colonial British Administrative Headquarters and included their residential area. It had beautiful well-kept lawns and gardens maintained by prisoners under the watch of warders. There were many fruit trees: mango, guava, tangerine, orange and grapefruit which delighted the children and provided shade. Today Ogige is the site of Local Government Offices and it would benefit from landscaping and maintenance services. Although the fruit trees are gone it still remains a green and leafy part of the town.
- Obi's Palace (the king's palace) at Ogbe Nti Quarters, Umu Dei Village
- Obasanjo Egg and Poultry Farm, Kwale Road
Notable indigenes of Ogwashi UkwuEdit
Ogwashi-Ukwu has a number of prominent people either born in the town or elsewhere, who have contributed to the growth of the town or of Nigeria. They have made their mark in the fields of politics, scholarship, sports and the arts. Here are some of them:
- Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, is a Nigerian-American economist and international development expert. She sits on the boards of Standard Chartered Bank, Twitter, Global Alliance for Vaccines and Immunization, and the African Risk Capacity. On 15 February 2021, she was appointed as Director-General of the World Trade Organization
- Peter Konyegwachie, champion boxer and silver medalist, featherweight category in the 1984 Summer Olympics
- Augustine Okocha, former international professional football player
- Peter Emelieze is a Nigerian-born German sprinter who specializes in the 100 metres, an African Junior Silver medalist and participant at the London 2012 Summer Olympics.
- Chief Dr Augustine Ogochukwu Okafor is the retired permanent secretary of federal civil service, board chairman of merit time international, chairman of the association of retired secretaries of Nigeria.