Offaly (Dáil constituency)
Offaly was a parliamentary constituency represented in Dáil Éireann, the lower house of the Irish parliament or Oireachtas, from 2016 to 2020. The constituency elected three deputies (Teachtaí Dála, commonly known as TDs). The method of election was the single transferable vote form of proportional representation (PR-STV).
|Former Dáil Éireann|
|County council||Offaly County Council|
Tipperary County Council
History and boundariesEdit
The Constituency Commission proposed in its 2012 report that at the next general election a new constituency called Offaly be created. The report proposed changes to the constituencies of Ireland so as to reduce the total number of TDs from 166 to 158.
It was established by the Electoral (Amendment) (Dáil Constituencies) Act 2013. The constituency incorporated all of County Offaly from the previous Laois–Offaly constituency, and additionally twenty-four electoral divisions from Tipperary North.
The 2013 Act defined the constituency as:
"The county of Offaly;
and in the county of North Tipperary the electoral divisions of:
Aglishcloghane, Ballingarry, Ballylusky, Borrisokane, Carrig, Cloghjordan, Cloghprior, Clohaskin, Finnoe, Graigue, Kilbarron, Lorrha East, Lorrha West, Mertonhall, Rathcabban, Redwood, Riverstown, Terryglass, Uskane, in the former Rural District of Borrisokane;
|Teachtaí Dála (TDs) for Offaly 2016–2020|
|Marcella Corcoran Kennedy|
|33rd||2020||Constituency abolished. See Laois–Offaly.|
Note: The columns in this table are used only for presentational purposes, and no significance should be attached to the order of columns. For details of the order in which seats were won at each election, see the detailed results of that election.
2016 general electionEdit
|2016 general election: Offaly|
|Party||Candidate||FPv%||Count 1||Count 2||Count 3||Count 4||Count 5||Count 6||Count 7|
|Fianna Fáil||Barry Cowen||28.1||12,366|
|Fine Gael||Marcella Corcoran Kennedy||15.5||6,838||6,919||7,270||7,798||9,484||11,313|
|Sinn Féin||Carol Nolan||10.9||4,804||4,882||5,459||6,295||7,195||8,785||8,890|
|Fianna Fáil||Eddie Fitzpatrick||7.7||3,394||4,297||4,578||6,147||7,141||8,521||8,720|
|Irish Democratic||Ken Smollen||2.2||971||999|
|Independent||Teresa Ryan Feehan||1.4||603||616|
|Electorate: 65,636 Valid: 44,034 Spoilt: 411 Quota: 11,009 Turnout: 67.7|
- "Constituency Commission Report 2012 – Waterford – Tipperary – Laois – Offaly – Kildare area" (PDF). Constituency Commission. 21 June 2012. Retrieved 7 April 2013.
- "Constituency Commission Report 2012 – Introduction and summary of recommendation" (PDF). Constituency Commission. 21 June 2012. Retrieved 7 April 2013.
- "Electoral (Amendment) (Dáil Constituencies) Act 2013: Schedule". Irish Statute Book database. Retrieved 7 April 2013.
- "Electoral (Amendment) (Dáil Constituencies) Act 2017: Schedule". Irish Statute Book database. Retrieved 12 April 2018.
- "General election 2016: Offaly". ElectionsIreland.org. Retrieved 23 February 2016.
- "Offaly Results 2016". Irelandelection.com. Irelandelection.com. Retrieved 21 January 2020.
- "Offaly Results 2016". RTÉ. Archived from the original on 15 March 2019. Retrieved 21 January 2020.