October(Redirected from October (month))
October is the tenth month of the year in the Julian and Gregorian Calendars and the sixth of seven months to have a length of 31 days. The eighth month in the old Roman calendar, October retained its name (from the Latin ôctō meaning "eight") after January and February were inserted into the calendar that had originally been created by the Romans. In Ancient Rome, one of three Mundus patet would take place on October 5, Meditrinalia October 11, Augustalia on October 12, October Horse on October 15, and Armilustrium on October 19. These dates do not correspond to the modern Gregorian calendar. Among the Anglo-Saxons, it was known as Ƿinterfylleþ, because at this full moon (fylleþ) winter was supposed to begin.
This list does not necessarily imply either official status or general observance.
Non-Gregorian observances: 2018 datesEdit
(Please note that all Baha'i, Islamic, and Jewish observances begin at sundown prior to the date listed, and end at sundown of the date in question unless otherwise noted.)
- October 1: Shemini Atzeret (Judaism, Public holiday in Israel)
- October 2: Simchat Torah (Judaism, two day communities only)
- October 5: Shia day of Mourning: Martyrdom of Imam Zain-ul-Abideen, 95 A.H. (Islam, Shia only)
- October 6: Shabbat Mevorchim (Judaism)
- October 9-10: Rosh Chodesh of Cheshvan (Judaism)
- October 10: Two Shia Days of Remembrance (Islam, Shia only)
- October 15: Bahab (Judaism, optional observance, starts at dawn)
- October 16: V'tein Tal u-Matar (Judaism)
- October 16: Shia day of remembrance: Birth of Imam Musa-e-Kazim, 128 A.H. (Islam, Shia only)
- October 16: Yom HaAliyah (Israeli schools only)
- October 18: Bahab (Judaism, optional observance, starts at dawn)
- October 19: Multiple Shia days of remembrance (Islam, Shia only)
- October 21: Rabin Day (Public holiday in Israel)
- October 21: Shia day of remembrance: Birth of Janab-e-Salman-e-Farsi (Islam, Shia only)
- October 22: Bahab (Judaism, optional observance, starts at dawn)
- October 24: Poya (Buddhism, public holiday in Sri Lanka)
- October 26: Shia day of remembrance:Martyrdom of Imam Ali Reza, 203 A.H. (Islam, Shia only)
- October 29: Arba'een (Islam)
- In Catholic Church tradition, October is the Month of the Holy Rosary.
- Breast Cancer Awareness Month
- Health Literacy Month
- International Walk to School Month
- Medical Ultrasound Awareness Month
- Rett Syndrome Awareness Month
- World Blindness Awareness Month
The last two to three weeks in October (and, occasionally, the first week of November) are the only time of the year during which each of the "Big Four" major North American professional sports leagues schedule games; the National Basketball Association begins its preseason and about two weeks later starts the regular season, the National Hockey League is about one month into its regular season, the National Football League is about halfway through its regular season, and Major League Baseball is in its postseason with the League Championship Series and World Series. There have been 18 occasions in which all four leagues have played games on the same day (an occurrence popularly termed a "sports equinox"), with the most recent of these having taken place on October 18, 2018. Additionally, the Canadian Football League is typically nearing the end of its regular season during this period, while Major League Soccer is beginning the MLS Cup Playoffs.
- American Archives Month
- National Adopt a Shelter Dog Month 
- National Arts & Humanities Month
- National Bullying Prevention Month
- National Cyber Security Awareness Month
- National Domestic Violence Awareness Month
- Filipino American History Month
- Italian-American Heritage and Culture Month
- LGBT History Month
- Polish American Heritage Month
- National Work and Family Month
- American Pharmacist Month
- Dwarfism/Little People Awareness Month 
- Eczema Awareness Month 
- National Dental Hygiene Month
- National Healthy Lung Month
- National Infertility Awareness Month
- Liver Awareness Month
- National Lupus Erythematosus Awareness Month
- National Physical Therapy Month
- National Spina Bifida Awareness Month
- Sudden Infant Death Syndrome Awareness Month  (United States)
United States, CulinaryEdit
- National Pizza Month
- National Popcorn Poppin’ Month
- National Pork Month
- National Seafood Month
Movable observances, 2018 datesEdit
- Oktoberfest celebrations (varies globally based on area)
- International Walk to School Day: October 2
- World Ballet Day: October 2
- World College Radio Day: October 5 
- World Cerebral Palsy Day: October 6
- Ada Lovelace Day: October 9 (International observance)
- Astronomy Day: October 13
- Earth Science Week: October 14-20 (United States)
- Get Smart About Credit Day October 18 (United States)
- Asexual Awareness Week October 21-27
First Monday: October 1Edit
- Child Health Day (United States)
- Children's Day (Chile, Singapore)
- Labour Day (Australian Capital Territory, New South Wales, South Australia, Queensland, Australia)
- Peat Cutting Monday (Falkland Islands)
- Thanksgiving (Saint Lucia)
- World Architecture Day
- World Habitat Day
First Tuesday: October 2Edit
First Wednesday: October 3Edit
First Thursday: October 4Edit
- National Poetry Day (UK, Ireland)
First Friday: October 5Edit
First Full Week: October 7-13Edit
First Sunday: October 7Edit
- Daylight saving time begins (Australia)
- Day of Prayer for the Peace of Jerusalem (Pentecostal Christianity)
- Father's Day (Luxembourg)
- Grandparents Day (Queensland, Australia, United Kingdom)
- Teachers' Day (Belarus, Latvia, Ukraine)
- World Communion Sunday (Christianity)
Week of October 9: October 7-13Edit
- Fire Prevention Week (Canada, United States)
Week of October 10: October 7-13Edit
Second Monday: October 8Edit
- Columbus Day (United States)
- Fraternal Day (Alabama, United States)
- Health and Sports Day (Japan)
- Mother's Day (Malawi)
- Norfolk Island Agricultural Show Day (Norfolk Island)
- Thanksgiving (Canada)
- National Day (Republic of China)
Second Wednesday: October 10Edit
Second Thursday: October 11Edit
Second Friday: October 12Edit
Second Saturday: October 13Edit
- International Migratory Bird Day (Mexico, Central and South America, and the Caribbean)
- Home Movie Day (International observance)
- National Tree Planting Day (Mongolia)
Second Sunday: October 14Edit
Third Monday: October 15Edit
- Heroes' Day (Jamaica)
- Mother's Day (Argentina)
- Nanomonestotse (Native American communities)
- Boss's Day (United States, Canada, Lithuania and Romania)
Wednesday of second full week in October: October 17Edit
Third Thursday: October 18Edit
Third Saturday: October 20Edit
Week of Fourth Wednesday: October 21-27Edit
Third Sunday: October 21Edit
Second to last Sunday: October 21Edit
Fourth Monday: October 22Edit
Fourth Wednesday: October 24Edit
Last Friday: October 26Edit
- National Bandanna Day (Australia)
- Nevada Day (Nevada, United States)
- Teacher's Day (Australia) (If the last Friday is on October 31, this holiday is moved to November 7)
Fourth Saturday: October 27Edit
Saturday closest to October 26: October 27Edit
Last Sunday: October 28Edit
- European Summer Time ends
- Feast of Christ the King (Tridentine Mass Catholics)
- Grandparents Day (New South Wales, Australia)
Last Monday: October 29Edit
- October 1
- Armed Forces Day (South Korea)
- Children's Day (El Salvador, Guatemala, Sri Lanka)
- Day of Prosecutors (Azerbaijan)
- Continuance of German-American Heritage Months, which runs from September 15 – October 15  (United States)
- Continuance of National Hispanic Heritage Month which runs from September 15 – October 15 (United States),
- Ground Forces Day (Russia)
- Independence Day (Cyprus)
- Independence Day (Nigeria)
- Independence Day (Palau)
- Independence Day (Tuvalu)
- International Coffee Day
- International Day of Older Persons
- International Music Day
- Lincolnshire Day (United Kingdom)
- National Day of the People's Republic of China (People's Republic of China)
- Pancasila Sanctity Day (Indonesia)
- Teacher's Day (Uzbekistan)
- Unification Day (Cameroon)
- World Vegetarian Day
- October 2
- October 3
- October 4
- October 5
- October 6
- Day of Commemoration and National Mourning (Turkmenistan)
- Dukla Pass Victims Day (Slovakia)
- German-American Day (United States)
- Memorial Day for the Martyrs of Arad (Hungary)
- National Noodle Day (United States)
- Teachers' Day (Sri Lanka)
- Yom Kippur War commemorations:
- October 7
- October 8
- October 9
- October 10
- October 11
- October 12
- October 13
- October 14
- October 15
- Breast Health Day (Europe)
- Evacuation Day (Tunisia)
- Global Handwashing Day
- King Father's Commemoration Day (Cambodia)
- National Latino AIDS Awareness Day (United States)
- Pregnancy and Infant Loss Remembrance Day (United States and Canada)
- Spirit Day (International observance)
- Teachers' Day (Brazil)
- White Cane Safety Day (United States)
- October 16
- October 17
- October 18
- October 19
- October 20
- October 21
- Apple Day (United Kingdom)
- Armed Forces Day (Honduras)
- Egyptian Naval Day (Egypt)
- Indian Police Commemoration Day (India)
- International Day of the Nacho
- National Nurses' Day (Thailand)
- Ndadaye Day (Burundi)
- Overseas Chinese Day (Republic of China)
- Trafalgar Day (the British Empire in the 19th and early 20th century)
- October 22
- October 23
- October 24
- October 25
- October 26
- October 27
- October 28
- October 29
- October 30
- Anniversary of the Declaration of the Slovak Nation (Slovakia)
- Day of Remembrance of the Victims of Political Repressions (former Soviet republics, except Ukraine)
- Indonesian Banknote Day (Indonesia)
- International Orthopaedic Nurses Day
- Mischief Night (United States and Canada)
- Thevar Jayanthi (Thevar community, India)
- October 31
- Start of Allhallowtide October 31 – November 6
- The first day of the Day of the Dead, celebrated until November 2 (Mexico)
- Día de la Canción Criolla (Peru)
- Eve of Winter, the eve of the first day of winter in the Northern hemisphere:
- Girl Scouts Founders Day (United States)
- King Father's Birthday (Cambodia)
- National Unity Day (India)
- Reformation Day (Slovenia, parts of Germany, Chile, El Salvador, Dominican Republic, Evangelical Churches and Lutheran Churches)
- Saci day (Brazil)
- World Savings Day
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: October|
|Look up October in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to October.|
- Chisholm, Hugh, ed. (1911). "October". Encyclopædia Britannica (11th ed.). Cambridge University Press.
- "Gemstone Leaflet" (PDF). Jewelers of America. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2012-02-22. Retrieved Jan 22, 2012.
- SHG Resources. "Birth Months, Flowers, and Gemstones". SHG Resources. Retrieved 2011-11-01.
- "CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: Special Devotions For Months". Newadvent.org. Retrieved 2012-10-24.
- "Health Literacy Month – Finding the Right Words for Better Health". www.healthliteracymonth.org.
- "SDMS Medical Ultrasound Awareness Month". www.sdms.org.
- "Home - Rettsyndrome.org". www.rettsyndrome.org.
-  Archived February 8, 2007, at the Wayback Machine.
- Abdeldaiem, Alaa (October 18, 2018). "How to Watch the NFL, NBA, NHL and MLB as the Leagues Overlap for the 2018 Sports Equinox". Sports Illustrated. Retrieved October 19, 2018.
- "American Archives Month". National Archives. 2017-06-22. Retrieved 2018-09-25.
- "October is Adopt a Shelter Dog Month". ASPCA. Retrieved 2014-10-17.
- http://www.staysafeonline.info/content/about-ncsam Archived October 5, 2009, at the Wayback Machine.
- "American Pharmacists Month 2011". Pharmacist.com. Retrieved 2011-11-01.
- "Little People of America".
- "Eczema Awareness Month – National Eczema Association". National Eczema Association.
- "ADHA – October is National Dental Hygiene Month". Adha.org. Retrieved 2011-11-01.
- "Healthy Lung Month – Lung problems". 5 October 2012.
- "Observing Infertility Awareness Month". Library.adoption.com. Retrieved 2011-11-01.
- "Liver Awareness Month". www.liverfoundation.org.
-  Archived November 21, 2007, at the Wayback Machine.
- APTA | National Physical Therapy Month Archived January 5, 2009, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Spina Bifida Association – Spina Bifida Association". Sbaa.org. Retrieved 2011-11-01.
- "October is SIDS Awareness Month". www.nichd.nih.gov.
- "National Pizza Month". Pizza.com. Retrieved 2012-10-24.
- "Popcorn Poppin' Month". Popcorn.org. Retrieved 2012-10-24.
- "October is National Pork Month". ThePigSite. 2007-10-02.
- "NOAA Fisheries Celebrates National Seafood Month". NOAA.gov. 2017-10-01. Retrieved 2017-10-09.
- "About Walk to School Day : Walk & Bike to School". Walkbiketoschool.org. Retrieved 21 October 2017.
- "World Ballet Day homepage". worldballetday.com. Retrieved 11 September 2018.
- "National Astronomy Day 2018".
- "Diversity – UMUC". www.umuc.edu.