Oakleigh East, Victoria
Oakleigh East is a suburb of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia 16 km south-east of Melbourne's central business district. Its local government area is the City of Monash. The suburb is mostly residential with some commercial lots. The suburb is bordered by Ferntree Gully Road to the north, Clayton Road to the east, North Road to the south, and Princes Hwy and Franklyn St to the west. At the 2016 Census, Oakleigh East had a population of 6,444.
|Population||6,444 (2016 census)|
|• Density||3,070/km2 (7,950/sq mi)|
|Area||2.1 km2 (0.8 sq mi)|
|Location||16 km (10 mi) from Melbourne|
An Oakleigh East Post Office opened on 15 June 1918 on Huntingdale Road near Huntingdale (then East Oakleigh) railway station. This was renamed Huntingdale around 1955. In 1967 another Oakleigh East office opened on Huntingdale Road north of Dandenong Road (Princes Highway).
The suburb has a small commercial hub on Huntingdale Road and Princes Hwy, which includes a post office, a liquor store, restaurants, a massage parlour, a hair salon, a golf injury clinic, and a mower shop.
The suburb has one primary school, Amsleigh Park Primary School, and several preschools and early learning centres. Along Princes Hwy there is a large oval, park and playground area known as Princes Hwy Reserve. Opposite this park is the Clayton Chinese Christian Church. Other parks in the suburb include Reg Harris Reserve on Carmichael Road and Ferntree Gully Road, Hurst Reserve on Ferntree Gully Road and Princes Hwy, Cheel St Reserve on Ferntree Gully Road and Cheel St, F E Hunt Reserve on Highland Ave.
The suburb has a scout hall, the Victorian Rover Centre, which is located in F E Hunt Reserve.
The suburb is serviced by the 800/802/804/862 buses on Princes Hwy, the 733 bus on Clayton Road, the 693 and 742 buses on Ferntree Gully Road, and the 630 and 900 SmartBus service on North Road.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (27 June 2017). "Oakleigh East (State Suburb)". 2016 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 19 March 2018.
- "Oakleigh East, Victoria". Postcodes Australia. Retrieved 23 November 2011. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (27 June 2017). "Oakleigh East". 2016 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 3 December 2017.
- Phoenix Auctions History, Post Office List, retrieved 1 April 2021
- "Member Clubs". SFNL. Retrieved 11 April 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)