Oakland County International Airport
Oakland County International Airport (IATA: PTK, ICAO: KPTK, FAA LID: PTK) is a county owned public use airport located in Waterford Township, Oakland County, Michigan, United States. The airport is located approximately 1 mile from the center of Waterford Township and Oakland County. It is included in the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) National Plan of Integrated Airport Systems for 2017–2021, in which it is categorized as a non primary commercial service facility.
|Oakland County International Airport|
|Owner||County of Oakland|
|Serves||Oakland County, Michigan|
|Location||Waterford Township, Michigan|
|Elevation AMSL||981 ft / 299 m|
It is the sixth-busiest airport in the United States without scheduled passenger service. Charters carrying sports teams competing at The Palace of Auburn Hills nearby frequently use the airport. The airport was originally called Pontiac Municipal Airport when it opened in 1928 and became Oakland-Pontiac Airport later before adopting its current name.
The airport holds an open house every year, showing aircraft based at PTK, military aircraft and vintage aircraft. The Civil Air Patrol acts as security for the open house.
The City of Pontiac purchased 160 acres (65 ha) of land on September 12, 1928, and on November 27 of that year the airport opened. It received its dedication the following June and was named Pontiac Airport. The Oakland County government bought the airport on February 25, 1967. The Oakland County Board of Commissioners gave the airport its current name on March 7, 1996 after L. Brooks Patterson suggested renaming the airport.
Lakeshore Express flights suspended operation in April 2014 as operator Pentastar Aviation elected to cease operating the flights.
Facilities and aircraftEdit
Located at 6500 Patterson Parkway, Waterford, MI 48327, Oakland County International Airport covers an area of 750 acres (300 ha) at an elevation of 981 feet (299 m) above mean sea level. It has three asphalt paved runways: 9R/27L is 6,521 by 150 feet (1,987 x 46 m); 9L/27R is 5,676 by 100 feet (1,730 x 30 m); 18/36 is 2,582 by 75 feet (788 x 23 m).
For the 12-month period ending December 31, 2011, the airport had 119,347 aircraft operations, an average of 326 per day: 90% general aviation, 7% air taxi, 1% scheduled commercial and <1% military. At that time there were 627 aircraft based at this airport: 60% single-engine, 21% multi-engine, 16% jet, 2% helicopter, <1% glider and <1% ultralight.
Added to the airport facility in 2004, as part of a noise abatement project, is a Ground Run-up Enclosure, or "Hush House." This 3-sided structure is used by aviation mechanics for testing turbine powered aircraft. The airplane is taxied inside the structure and turned so the exhaust and thrust is facing the rear wall. The mechanics can then run the engines at high power. A majority of the noise will be either absorbed by the walls or deflected upward, reducing the impact to the surrounding community.
- FAA Airport Master Record for PTK ( PDF), effective December 12, 2013.
- "Waterford township, Oakland county, Michigan Archived August 4, 2014, at the Wayback Machine.." U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved on October 28, 2009.
- "List of NPIAS Airports" (PDF). FAA.gov. Federal Aviation Administration. 21 October 2016. Retrieved 23 November 2016.
- Oakland County International Airport
- "Oakland County International Airport debuts new green terminal" (Archived 2015-07-09 at WebCite). Oakland County Prosper, Oakland County's Department of Economic Development & Community Affairs. Retrieved on July 10, 2015.
- Creager, Ellen. Travel smart: Little airline that could now can't, Detroit Free Press, April 13, 2014, Retrieved April 14, 2014
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Oakland County International Airport.|
- Oakland County International Airport
- Lakeshore Express Aviation
- Oakland County International Airport 75th Anniversary
- (PDF), effective December 7, 2017
- FAA Terminal Procedures for Oakland County International (PTK), effective December 7, 2017
- Resources for this airport: