Oakland Community College
Oakland Community College (OCC) is a public community college in Oakland County, Michigan established June 8, 1964. With five campuses, it is one of the largest community colleges in Michigan and has the state's third largest undergraduate enrollment. In addition to the five campus locations the college has a district headquarters in Bloomfield Hills. Enrollment at the college over the 2016-2017 school year was 29,560. Oakland Community College has been accredited by the Higher Learning Commission since 1971 and has a Carnegie Classification of Associate's Colleges: High Transfer-High Nontraditional. The college offers 57 different degrees at the Associates level and 41 different certificate programs.
|Chancellor||Peter M. Provenzano, Jr.|
|Students||More than 1 million students have enrolled in the college since it opened in 1965.|
|Campus||District Office, Bloomfield Hills, MI Highland Lakes Campus in Waterford, MI; Auburn Hills Campus in Auburn Hills, MI; Orchard Ridge Campus in Farmington Hills, MI; Royal Oak Campus in Royal Oak, MI and Southfield Campus in Southfield, MI|
|Colors||Green and White|
The college opened in September 1965 with two campuses - Highland Lakes, a renovated hospital in Waterford and Auburn Hills, a former Army Nike missile site in Auburn Hills. In September 1967, the Orchard Ridge Campus opened in Farmington Hills with buildings designed by Philip Will known for his partnership in the Perkins and Will architectural firm. In 1980, a new campus opened in Southfield that replaced a temporary location in Oak Park. Later, the Southeast Campus System expanded through the purchase and remodeling of buildings at a site in Royal Oak. The Royal Oak buildings were replaced by a new campus complex which opened in the fall of 1982.
Oakland Community College has five distinct physical campuses for instruction. In addition, the college also supports a virtual campus for online learning.
- Auburn Hills Campus in Auburn Hills ( )
- Highland Lakes Campus in Waterford ( )
- Orchard Ridge Campus in Farmington Hills ( )
- Royal Oak Campus in Royal Oak ( )
- Southfield Campus in Southfield ( )
The OCC athletic teams are known as the Raiders and compete in the National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA) and the Michigan Community College Athletic Association (MCCAA). Men's varsity sports include basketball, cross-country, and golf; women's varsity sports include basketball, cross-country, softball, tennis, and volleyball.
OCC also has a competitive speech and performance team (the forensics team) that has had both State and National champions.
- WORB - Defunct Radio Station
- "College History". www.oaklandcc.edu. Retrieved 2018-12-11.
- "Oakland Community College | Achieving the Dream". www.achievingthedream.org. Retrieved 2018-12-11.
- "Bloomfield Township Street Map." (Archived 2013-07-30 at WebCite) Bloomfield Township, Oakland County. Retrieved on July 30, 2013.
- "Campuses." Oakland Community College. Retrieved on June 20, 2015.
- Michigan’s Center for Educational Performance and Information, College Undergraduate Enrollment Snapshot for Oakland Community College: 2016-2017. Accessed December 10, 2018.
- "Statement of Accreditation Status: Oakland Community College". www.hlcommission.org. December 10, 2018. Retrieved 2018-12-11.
- "College Navigator - Oakland Community College". nces.ed.gov. Retrieved 2018-12-11.
- Emanuel, Muriel (2016-01-23). Contemporary Architects. Springer. p. 881. ISBN 9781349041848.
- "OCC nabs culinary awards". HometownLife. Retrieved 2018-12-14.
- "Oakland Community College culinary student earns medal at national competition". TheOaklandPress.com. Retrieved 2018-12-14.
- Almond, Mary Beth (November 12, 2012). "OCC-affiliated chefs cook up honors at Culinary Olympics". www.candgnews.com. Farmington Press. Retrieved 2018-12-14.
- "NJCAA Member Colleges - Oakland Community College". NJCAA. Retrieved 2018-12-11.
- "Michigan Community College Athletic Association -Members". Michigan Community College Athletic Association. Retrieved 2018-12-11.
- "OCC Forensics Students Winners in Intercollegiate Competition". www.oaklandcc.edu. October 15, 2015. Retrieved 2018-12-11.
- "Myles Jury UFC Bio". Retrieved 2014-01-01.
- "Gun Enthusiast Ted Nugent Wasn't Anxious To Bear Arms Against Those Pesky Vietcong". The Smoking Gun. 12 February 2013. Retrieved 16 April 2018.
- "JEM TARGAL Bass Player Artist legendary lover". www.kurtbrowne.com. Retrieved 16 April 2018.