Mercedes-Benz Arena (Berlin)(Redirected from O2 World (Berlin))
|Former names||O2 World (2008-2015)|
|Location||Mercedes-Platz 1, Friedrichshain, Berlin, Germany|
Ice hockey: 14,200
|Construction cost||€ 165 million|
HOK Sport (now Populous)|
ALBA Berlin (BBL) (2008–present)|
Eisbären Berlin (DEL) (2008–present)
With a capacity of 17,000 people, it is home to the Eisbären Berlin ice hockey club and the ALBA Berlin basketball team, and is used for other ice hockey, basketball and handball matches as well as concerts.
The arena hosted the 2008–09 Euroleague Final Four. The arena was one of the most prominent elements of the Mediaspree urban redevelopment project, quickly gaining emblematic status in the debates surrounding the project's impact.
In 2015, German car manufacturer Mercedes-Benz reached a deal with the arena management to rename the venue Mercedes-Benz Arena Berlin for twenty years. Between 2008 and 2015, the arena was known as O2 World Berlin (German: [ɔʊˈtuː ˌvœːɐ̯lt]) due to sponsorship contract with Telefónica Germany, a telecommunications company.
The first band to play at the Mercedes-Benz Arena was Metallica on 12 September 2008.
The arena was also the home for the 2009 MTV Europe Music Awards.
On 27 March 2012, Il Divo performed a concert as part of their 2012 Wicked Game album tour.
The Beach Boys played during their 50th Anniversary Tour in August 2012.
Beach soccer returned to the arena in August 2012 to again host the second stage of the 2012 Euro Beach Soccer League.
One Direction performed on May 11, 2013 on their Take Me Home Tour
Iron Maiden performed on 18 June 2013.
Depeche Mode performed at the stadium three times: the first one was on 9 January 2010 during their Tour of the Universe. The second and the third were on 25 and 27 November 2013 during their Delta Machine Tour, in front of a total sold out crowd of 28,332 people. The 2013 shows were filmed and recorded for the group's concert film Depeche Mode Live in Berlin and for the band's live album Live in Berlin Soundtrack.
U2 performed at the arena on 24, 25, 28 and 29 September 2015 as part of their Innocence + Experience Tour. They will also play at the arena on 31 August and 1 September 2018 as part of their Experience + Innocence Tour.
Irish-American dancer and musician Michael Flatley reprises his role as Lord of the Dance on 6 December 2010 during the Return of Michael Flatley As Lord of the Dance tour. A few scenes from the 3D concert film Lord of the Dance 3D, were filmed in the during the performance in the arena alongside the O2 London and O2 Dublin. The film was released on DVD and Blu-ray under the title Michael Flatley Returns As Lord of the Dance in 2011. A 3D version was released only in Blu-ray in late 2011.
In October 2013, the artist Jakob Kupfer transformed the LED facade of the o2 World Berlin into a giant art installation.
It currently hosts a group of the FIBA EuroBasket 2015.
On June 20, 2015 held UFC Fight Night: Jędrzejczyk vs. Penne.
The rumors point to Germany hosting the next Eurovision Song Contest, in its 64th edition. The last edition of the festival held in Lisbon was won by Netta, representative of Israel. The rules are clear country that wins Eurovision is responsible for organizing the show the following year; However, the political and social situation in the Middle East would affect the organization of the festival. The government of the Prime Minister of Israel has announced Jerusalem as the venue for the festival in May 2019. Rumors suggest that the organizing body of the European Broadcasting Union EBU-UER would move the headquarters of the eurofestival to Germany. Being one of the few countries that would have the necessary requirements to host the contest, the same was rumored in 2017 when political conflicts between Russia and Ukraine put at risk the headquarters of Kiev 2017. The rumors and the press suggest that the NDR Norddeutscher Rundfunk would be the option to organize the show with Berlin as the host city and the location would be the Mercedes-Benz Arena As seen in the situation, the Mercedes-Benz Arena would be the official venue of the Eurovision Song Contest 2019.
|German League||European competitions|
Alba Berlin in O2 World inside
- Worldstadiums.com basketball capacity 14,500. Archived 6 October 2009 at the Wayback Machine.
- Euroleague.net "the 16,000-seat o2 World".
- O2 World Berlin architect: Populous
- O2 World Berlin Germany Archived 25 April 2012 at the Wayback Machine. architect: JSK Architects
- Aus o2 World wird Mercedes-Benz Arena Berlin Archived 26 January 2015 at Archive.is, 26 January 2015 (in German)
- Startschuss für die O2 World in Berlin Archived 14 May 2006 at the Wayback Machine., 27 April 2006 (in German)
- Data and facts about O2 World Archived 8 October 2008 at the Wayback Machine. 30 September 2008 (in German)
- Euroleague Basketball, AEG Announce Global Partnership Agreement
- "Scorpions performs at Germany's ECHO Awards". Blabbermouth.net. 22 February 2009. Retrieved 22 February 2009.
- "Premiere 2011 teams, locations revealed". NHL.com. 11 April 2011. Retrieved 11 May 2011.
- "EBSL 2011 goes to Berlin!". beachsoccer.com. 1 June 2011. Retrieved 1 June 2011.
- "2015 WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP VENUES". lolesports. Riot Games. Archived from the original on 11 April 2015. Retrieved 9 April 2015.
- Attendance data at Basketball Bundesliga website
- Including playoff games
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to O2 World.|
Palacio de Deportes de la CAM
Palacio de Deportes de la CAM
Palais de Paris-Bercy
Seoul World Cup Stadium
| League of Legends World Championship