This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2019)
|Nurse on Wheels|
|Directed by||Gerald Thomas|
|Edited by||Archie Ludski|
|Music by||Eric Rogers|
Peter Rogers Productions
|Distributed by||Anglo-Amalgamated Film Distributors|
Nurse on Wheels shares its cast and production team with the Carry On films, but the film is not an official member of the Carry On series.
She settles into a cottage with her mother, and goes about her work with quiet confidence. But she finds that the patients are used to, and prefer, an older nurse, like Nurse Merrick, who has recently retired.
Joanna despairs of winning the confidence of her patients, but is then visited by Nurse Merrick who tells her that it was the same when she arrived many years before. Boosted by this, Joanna soon wins the support of the populace.
She also meets Henry Edwards, a rich but very short-tempered farmer. Her mother hopes that Joanna will fall in love with Dr Golfrey, who Joanna works with, but in fact it is Edwards who shows more interest in her.
When a young couple, Ann and Tim Taylor, park their caravan in one of the fields owned by Edwards, the population rally around a heavily pregnant Mrs Taylor. Edwards tries to evict them, but Joanna has taken charge of the delivery, and won't allow it.
All works out in the end. Dr Golfrey offers the vacant receptionist's job to Deborah, daughter of the local vicar (who is smitten with him anyway). Joanna becomes engaged to Edwards, who promises to curb his temper. And Mr Taylor is offered a job as gardener at the vicarage.
- Juliet Mills as Joanna Jones
- Ronald Lewis as Henry Edwards
- Joan Sims as Deborah Walcott
- Noel Purcell as Abel Worthy
- Esma Cannon as Mrs. Jones
- Raymond Huntley as Vicar
- Athene Seyler as Miss Farthingale
- Norman Rossington as George Judd
- Ronald Howard as Dr. Harold Golfrey
- Joan Hickson as Mrs. Wood
- Renée Houston as Mrs. Beacon
- Jim Dale as Tim Taylor
- George Woodbridge as Mr. Beacon
- David Horne as Dr. Golfrey Senior
- Deryck Guyler as Driving Examiner
- Barbara Everest as Nurse Merrick
- Brian Rawlinson as Policeman
- Amanda Reiss as Ann Taylor
Joan Sims was originally going to play Joanne Jones but apparently lost the role as she had gain weight prior to the production.
There seems to mismatch of reels as halfway through the film the story seem to go awry.