Miss Nude contest winner, Nudes-A-Poppin' 2013
|Venue||Ponderosa Sun Club|
|Previous event||15–16 July 2017|
|Next event||21–22 July 2018|
The Nudes-A-Poppin' pageant is organized by and held at Ponderosa Sun Club, a family nudist resort founded in 1964 and situated in Roselawn, Indiana. The event was first held in 1975 to attract interest in the resort and has been held annually since then. Its "Miss Nude Galaxy" beauty contest dates back to the mid-70s. Nudes-A-Poppin' serves as a fund-raiser for the resort and contributes significantly to the local economy. The resort is closed to its members during the pageant, and the one-day event tickets can only be purchased separately. The attendance fee for the event was $50 in 2005 but had risen to $60 by 2016. Up to 2003, there was one event in July and another in August, but, from 2004, Nudes-A-Poppin' was reduced to one weekend in July.
Events held at Nudes-A-Poppin' are the amateur wet T-shirt contest, the sexiest pole dance competition, naked oil wrestling, and others. A "Miss Nude" contest judged by the audience is held here. Various trophies, with titles such as "Miss Nude Galaxy", "Miss Nude Go-Go", "Miss Nude Up & Comer", "Miss Nude Rising Star", "Miss Nude Showstopper" etc, are awarded to the nude contestants.
Most of the contestants are women. The spectators perform as judges and consist mostly of men. Photography is a popular activity at the pageant. Spectators are allowed to take photographs but the use of video cameras requires a permit.
Local porn stars, strippers, and nudists participate in the event, attracting thousands of other spectators. By 2017 the anticipated number of attendees was around 6000, with the event drawing an international audience. The official website of the event states that "no clothes are tolerated at the pool." Former porn star Ron Jeremy has acted as emcee for Nudes-A-Poppin' since 1990 and personalities such as Home Improvement star Tim Allen, The Munsters star Al Lewis, and John Wayne Bobbitt have also hosted the event.
Because of this pageant, along with a high frequency of other adult festivals, adult clubs, and sexual activities such as erotic dancing, public sex, and exhibitionism, Roselawn, Indiana placed 1st in the "10 Kinkiest Cities" list compiled by AlterNet.org.
- "Nudes-A-Poppin' Pageant". AskMen. Retrieved 15 March 2017.
- Higgins, Will (13 July 2001). "Nudist event has numbers, little respect". Indianapolis Starl. Retrieved 28 February 2012.[dead link]
- "Ponderosa Sun Club family nudist resort". Ponderosasunclub.com. Retrieved 2013-07-06.
- "'Free to be me': Local nudist resort camps no longer are 'best-kept secrets' in their communities". NWI Times. 22 July 2001.
- Bob Johnson (August 06 2011), Indiana City Ranked America's Kinkiest, XBIZ.com, Accessdate 28 February 2012
- Will Higgins (14 July 2015). "In Indiana, the nudists have a moment". Journal & Courier. Retrieved 25 April 2018.
- Carrie Napoleon (14 July 2017). "Businesses ready as thousands of nudists attend annual Roselawn fest". Chicago Tribune.
- "Roselawn woman sheds light on nudist resort" by Jeff Mane, Chicago Tribune], 6 April 2016
- Jimmy Greenfield; Chase Agnello (18 July 2005). "No lie: This pageant is a-poppin'". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved 28 February 2012.
- "Miss Nude Galaxy 1976". Vintage Nude. Retrieved 12 June 2017.
- "Nudes-A-Poppin' - Ponderosa Sun Club - Roselawn - Indiana". Coccozella's. Retrieved 8 December 2015.
- "Ponderosa Sun Club, Roselawn Indiana". Ponderosasunclub.com. Retrieved 6 July 2013.
- Caroline Tompkins (5 September 2017). "Inside an Erotic Dance Pageant at a Nudist Resort". Vice. Retrieved 25 April 2018.
- "Stunning babes hosed down during X-rated dance competition at nudist festival" by George Mills, Daily Star, 28 September 2016
- Dale, Ross (1 June 2008). Embedded: Confessions of a TV Sex Journalist. Sourcebooks, Inc. p. 252. ISBN 978-1-4022-1217-8. Retrieved 28 February 2012.
- Lou Harry, Naked Fear, Indianapolis Monthly, July 1999, pp. 126–128.
- "10 Wild Sex Festivals Around The World That Celebrate The Joy Of ‘Doing It’" by Rohit Bhattacharya, ScoopWhoop
- Scott Sarvay (12 August 2011). "Indiana City Claims Top Spot: America's Kinkiest". Indiana News Center. Archived from the original on 26 January 2013.
- "10 Kinkiest Cities In America" by Anna Pulley, AlterNet.org, 31 July 2011
- "Roselawn, Indiana More Kinky Than SF?" by Mathew Luschek, NBC News, 9 August 2011