Nudes-A-Poppin' (abbreviated NAP) is an annual pageant in the United States for nude women and men competing in erotic dance. It is the most well-known nude event in Indiana. The pageant has been held annually since it was started in the mid-1970s with the "Miss Nude Galaxy" beauty contest being held at the resort. The event is organized by Ponderosa Sun Club, a family nudist resort founded in 1964 and situated in Roselawn, Indiana, and serves as a fund-raiser for the resort. The resort is closed to its members during the pageant, and the one-day event tickets can only be purchased separately. Up to 2003 there was one event in July and another in August, but from 2004 this was reduced to one weekend in July.
Miss Nude contest winner, NAP 2013
|Venue||Ponderosa Sun Club|
|Previous event||18-19 July 2015|
There are a number of events held at Nudes-A-Poppin', such as the amateur wet T-shirt contest, sexiest pole dance competition and naked oil wrestling. A "Miss Nude" contest judged by the audience is a major event held here. Various trophies with titles such as "Miss Nude Galaxy", "Miss Nude Go-Go", "Miss Nude Up & Comer", "Miss Nude Rising Star", "Miss Nude Showstopper" etc. are awarded to the nude contestants. Lou Harry, writing in the cultural magazine Indianapolis Monthly, noted that the participants are prohibited from having sexual contact with another person attending the event or performing explicitly. Most of the contestants are women, although there are male entertainers too who participate in the event. The spectators perform role of judges and consist mostly of men. Photography is a popular activity at the pageant. Spectators are allowed to take photographs but the use of video cameras requires a permit.
Local porn stars, strippers, and nudists participate in the event, attracting thousands of spectators each year. The official website of the event states "no clothes are tolerated at the pool." Nudes-A-Poppin' has been hosted by well-known personalities such as pornographic film actor Ron Jeremy, Home Improvement star Tim Allen, The Munsters star Al Lewis, and John Wayne Bobbitt.
Reception and reviewEdit
In a list titled "Top 10: Sex Festivals" compiled by AskMen.com, Nudes-A-Poppin' is ranked at number four. Due to this pageant, along with a high frequency of other adult festivals, adult clubs, and sexual activities such as erotic dancing, public sex, and exhibitionism, Roselawn was listed in the first place in the "10 Kinkiest Cities" list compiled by AlterNet.org. Ponderosa Sun Club describes Nudes-A-Poppin' as "The World's Largest Outdoor Nude Beauty Pageant".
- "Nudes-A-Poppin' Pageant". AskMen.com. Retrieved 15 March 2017.
- WILL HIGGINS (July 13, 2001), Nudist event has numbers, little respect, Indianapolis Star, Accessdate 28 February 2012
- Jimmy Greenfield and Chase Agnello (July 18, 2005), No lie: This pageant is a-poppin', Chicago Tribune, Accessdate 28 February 2012
- "Miss Nude Galaxy 1976". Vintage Nude. Retrieved 12 June 2017.
- "Ponderosa Sun Club family nudist resort". Ponderosasunclub.com. Retrieved 2013-07-06.
- "'Free to be me': Local nudist resort camps no longer are 'best-kept secrets' in their communities". NWI Times. 22 July 2001.
- Bob Johnson (August 06 2011), Indiana City Ranked America's Kinkiest, XBIZ.com, Accessdate 28 February 2012
- "Nudes-A-Poppin' - Ponderosa Sun Club - Roselawn - Indiana". Coccozella's. Retrieved 8 December 2015.
- "Ponderosa Sun Club, Roselawn Indiana". Ponderosasunclub.com. Retrieved 2013-07-06.
- Ross Dale (1 June 2008). Embedded: Confessions of a TV Sex Journalist. Sourcebooks, Inc. p. 252. ISBN 978-1-4022-1217-8. Retrieved 28 February 2012.
- Lou Harry, Naked Fear, Indianapolis Monthly, July 1999, pp. 126–128.
- Scott Sarvay (12 August 2011). "Indiana City Claims Top Spot: America's Kinkiest". Indiana News Center. Archived from the original on 26 January 2013.
- Anna Pulley (July 31, 2011), 10 Kinkiest Cities In America, AlterNet.org, Accessdate 28 February 2012.