Nowon District (Nowon-gu) is a residential district of Seoul, South Korea, Located in the northeastern part of the metropolitan city. It has the highest population density in Seoul, with 619,509 people living in the area of 35.44 km².
|노원구 · 蘆原區|
Location of Nowon-gu in Seoul
|• Mayor||Oh Seungrok (Democratic)|
|• Total||35.44 km2 (13.68 sq mi)|
|• Density||17,000/km2 (43,000/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+9 (Korea Standard Time)|
|Website||Nowon-gu official website|
Nowon District is home to numerous educational institutes such as Kwangwoon University, Sahmyook University, the Korea Military Academy, Sejong Science High School, Seoul National University of Science and Technology, Induk University, and Seoul Women's University. The large number of schools, universities, and hagwon have given the "gu" the reputation of being the so-called "educational district" of northern Seoul, just like Gangnam and Seocho Districts of southern Seoul.
Kim Seong-hwan of the Democratic Party had been the mayor of the district from July 2010 to February 2018, when Kim resigned to run for the by-election of a National Assembly seat held in the district, which was vacated by Ahn Cheol-soo’s resignation. Kim’s bid was successful and the mayoral office is succeeded to Oh Seungrok, also a member of Democratic Party.
- Gongneung-dong (공릉동 孔陵洞) 1∼2 (Both 1 and 3 administrative dongs are combined each other in January 2008)
- Hagye-dong (하계동 下溪洞) 1∼2
- Junggye bon-dong (중계본동 中溪本洞)
- Junggye-dong (중계동 中溪本洞) 1∼4
- Sanggye-dong (상계동 上溪洞) 1∼10 (3 and 4 administrative dongs were combined in January 2008)
- Wolgye-dong (월계동 月溪洞) 1∼3
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (May 2014)
Schools and Universities in Nowon:
- Korean Statistical Information Service (Korean) > Population and Household > Census Result (2010) > Population by Administrative district, Sex and Age / Alien by Administrative district and Sex, Retrieved 2010-06-02.
- "New CGV theater optimized for family viewing". Korea Times. 23 April 2013. Retrieved 24 April 2013.
- "Welcome to APIS." Asia Pacific International School. Retrieved on May 22, 2014. "57 Wolgye-ro 45ga-gil, Nowon-gu, Seoul, 139-852, Korea"
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Nowon-gu.|
- Official website of the District Office of Nowon-gu (in English)