Northern University High School was a small high school in Cedar Falls, Iowa, United States, run by the University of Northern Iowa. It comprised grades 9-12 of the Pk-12 Malcolm Price Laboratory School. It closed in July 2012 under controversy and university budget cuts, and was mostly demolished in June 2013, save for the athletics Wing, part of which was re-purposed into the UNI Childhood Development center, previously housed in the building's east wing.
|Northern University High School|
1901 Campus Street
|Color(s)||Orange and Black|
|Affiliation||North Iowa Cedar-East Conference|
The school won the 2008 IHSAA boys' Class 1A basketball championship tournament, the 2008 IHSAA boys' class 1A golf tournament, the 2010 IHSAA boys' Class 1A cross country championship, and two Iowa School of Character awards (2007 and 2008).
In earlier years, the school was known for football, for 21 years under coach John Aldrich (1955–1976). Playing the single-wing offense, the team compiled a 120–49 record under Coach Aldrich, who was a member of the Iowa High School Coaches Hall of Fame.
Northern University won multiple Information Technology competitions in the Cyber Defense category. In 2008, 2009, 2010, and 2011 the school won first place in the Cyber Defense category of the IT-Olympics held at Iowa State University.
Despite its small size, students from Northern University High School were consistently accepted into the Iowa All State Orchestra, Band and Choir.
The school became a subject of controversy in July 2009 after local media agencies reported that nine families had defrauded the school in order to receive discounted tuition. One person implicated in this scandal is Iowa State Representative Kerry Burt.
This article's list of alumni may not follow Wikipedia's verifiability policy. (October 2020)
- Sullivan, Jim (June 3, 2009). "Aldrich was more than just a coach". Waterloo/Cedar Falls Courier. Cedar Falls, IA.
- "Cyber Defense Competitions - Information Assurance Center Wiki". Iowa State University Information Assurance Center Wiki. Archived from the original on May 5, 2014 – via www.iac.iastate.edu.
- "Hall of Fame | ISEAGE Cyber Defense Competitions". ISEAGE Cyber Defense Competitions. Iowa State University Information Assurance Center. Retrieved October 6, 2020.
- "All-State Music Festival Results". Northern University High School. October 26, 2010. Archived from the original on March 8, 2012.
- Christensen, Emily; Reinitz, Jeff (April 8, 2010). "Nine parents face charges in Price Lab tuition probe". Waterloo/Cedar Falls Courier. Cedar Falls, IA.
- Hinz, Tina (April 9, 2010). "UPDATE: GOP questions timing of charges against Kerry Burt". Waterloo/Cedar Falls Courier. Waterloo, IA.
- Northern University High School (January 1, 1988). "1988 Reach for the Stars". Malcolm Price Laboratory School Yearbooks.