North County Times
|Owner(s)||MLIM Holdings (U-T San Diego)|
|Founded||North County Blade-Citizen: 1929 (heritage dating to 1892)|
Escondido Times-Advocate: 1909 (heritage dating to 1889)
North County Times: 1995
|Ceased publication||October 15, 2012 (Merged into U-T San Diego)|
|Headquarters||207 E Pennsylvania Ave.|
Escondido, California 92025
It was formed in 1995 from the merger of the North County Blade-Citizen of Oceanside (founded 1929) and the Escondido Times-Advocate (founded 1909) by Howard Publications. Beginning in 1997, the Times also published The Californian in Temecula, located in southwest Riverside County. The newspaper was published with three local editions including The Californian. Lee Enterprises acquired Howard in 2002.
From 2008 through 2011, the paper laid off dozens of staff members, including at least a third of its editorial/newsroom staff.
Doug Manchester, owner of U-T San Diego (known as The San Diego Union-Tribune after 2015), bought the North County Times from Lee Enterprises in September 2012 for just under $12 million. One third of the staff was laid off. Subsequently, the print edition of the newspaper was folded into the U-T and called U-T North County Times, which is an edition of U-T San Diego and combines North County-specific content with features and columns from the U-T. The North County Times headquarters in Escondido were sold to the Classical Academy charter school.
On March 7, 2013, the separate U-T North County Times name was dropped and a U-T North County edition produced which further integrates U-T with North County-specific pages, while eliminating differences between the two. Previously both the U-T North County Times and the regular U-T were sold side by side at newsstands. Californian readers were merged into the U-T Californian, which includes a front section of Southwest Riverside County-specific content with the remaining content from the U-T North County edition. As of May 28, 2013, publication of the U-T Californian was terminated, and it was also reported that the distinct content of the North County edition was being de-emphasized. In January 2013, U-T San Diego took the archives of the North County Times offline; since then finding North County Times articles has been "hit or miss at best, mostly miss", according to the San Diego Reader.
- "Lee Enterprises: Newspapers". Lee Enterprises. Retrieved 2009-08-28.
- "What We Do". North County Times. Archived from the original on September 4, 2009. Retrieved 2009-08-28.
-  Archived April 14, 2012, at the Wayback Machine
- Beutner, Austin (March 15, 2015). "LA Times, Union-Tribune Combine Forces". The San Diego Union-Tribune.
-  Archived September 13, 2012, at the Wayback Machine
- "One-Third of Staff at North County Times To Lose Jobs". Mediabistro.com. Retrieved 1 December 2014.
- "U-T Combines with North County Times". NBC 7 San Diego. Retrieved 1 December 2014.
- Becket Adams. "San Diego Media Baron Expands Business to Promote Conservatism". The Blaze. Retrieved 1 December 2014.
-  Archived October 30, 2012, at the Wayback Machine
- "CHANGES HAVE ARRIVED FOR U-T'S NORTH COUNTY READERS". U-T San Diego. Retrieved 1 December 2014.
- "REGION: A new era begins". U-T San Diego. Retrieved 1 December 2014.
- "U-T San Diego closes Californian supplement", Associated Press in Sacramento Bee, May 28, 2013.
- Alison St John, "U-T San Diego Phases Out North County Edition", KPBS.org, May 30, 2013.
- Bruce Kauffman (2 April 2013). "North County Times online archives awash in the ether". San Diego Reader. Retrieved 6 November 2014.