North Central Railway zone
The North Central Railway (abbreviated NCR) is one of the 18 railway zones in India. The largest railway station in NCR is Kanpur Central. It is headquartered at Allahabad and comprises three divisions: Allahabad division, Jhansi division, Agra division of the erstwhile Northern Railway, Jhansi division of the erstwhile Central Railway, and new Agra division.
13-North Central Railway
|Dates of operation||2003–present|
|Length||3,062 kilometres (1,903 mi)|
The North Central Railway, in its present form, came into existence on 1 April 2003. The North Central Railway present network extends over a large area of North Central India, covering the states of Delhi, Uttar Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan and Haryana.
By December 2017, railways for the first time installed 6,095 GPS-enabled "Fog Pilot Assistance System" railway signalling devices in four most affected zones, Northern Railway zone, North Central Railway zone, North Eastern Railway zone and North Western Railway zone, by doing away with the old practice of putting firecrackers on train tracks to alter train divers running trains on snail's pace. With these devices, train pilots precisely know in advance, about the location of signals, level-crossing gates and other such approaching markers.
Serving the heartland of India, the North Central Railways comprises the following three divisions.
The zone spreads across all three divisions mentioned above. It extends from Ghaziabad (excl.) in the north to Mughalsarai (excl.) in the east on New Delhi-Howrah trunk route and from Palwal (excl.) to Bina (excl.) on New Delhi Mumbai/Chennai corridor. North Central Railway span parts of UP, Haryana, Rajasthan and Madhya Pradesh with about 3062 route km of BG comprising predominately double line- electrified sections defining the sides and diagonals of the Golden Quadrilateral. NCR consists of 202 main line stations & 221 branch line stations. This zone forms a corridor for trains almost directions viz. East to north and north to east a total of 29 pairs of mail-express trains daily west/south to north and north to south/west total 37 pairs of M/Exp. Trains daily east to Southwest and southwest to east a total of 25 pairs of Mail/Express trains daily East to West & West to East a total of 12 pairs of Mail/Express Trains Daily.
|Category of station||No. of stations||Names of stations|
|A-1 Category||6||Allahabad Junction, Gwalior Junction, Kanpur Central, Mathura Junction , Agra Cantonment, Jhansi Junction|
|A Category||15||Tundla, Aligarh, Etawah, Fatehpur, Phaphund, Mirzapur, Banda, Chitrakutdham Karwi, Lalitpur, Mahoba, Morena, Orai, Agra Fort, Raja ki Mandi , Mathura Cantt|
- Shram Shakti Express, New Delhi – Kanpur Central
- Prayagraj Express, New Delhi - Allahabad Jn
- Kanpur–New Delhi Shatabdi Express, New Delhi – Kanpur Central
- Allahabad–New Delhi Humsafar Express, New Delhi – Allahabad Jn
- Allahabad–Anand Vihar Terminal Humsafar Express, Anand Vihar Terminal – Allahabad Jn
- Kanpur Central–Anand Vihar Terminal Express, Anand Vihar Terminal – Kanpur Central
- Chambal Express, Howrah Jn – Gwalior Jn/Mathura Jn
Workshop and manpowerEdit
There are two workshops on the North Central Railway. The Wagon Repair Workshop in Jhansi deals with the repairing of wagon stock of Indian Railways and was established in 1895. Rail Spring Karkhana, Sithouli, and Gwalior deals with manufacturing of Coaching Stock springs as well as Locomotive springs. The NCR also has an electric loco shed where the damaged engines of Magadh Express is fitted with modern technology to run the Delhi-Howrah Duronto Express. The NCR has 69,644 staff members. NCR in its effort to boost use of solar power under National Solar Mission has selected Vivaan Solar, a company from Gwalior to install a total of 1.5 MW rooftop solar power project at the wagon repair workshop of Jhansi Junction railway station. The company will install rooftop solar panels on production sheds and service buildings of the complex.
- "North Central Railway introduces Gross Happiness Index for running staff - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 24 October 2018.
- Indian Railways to use GPS-enabled devices to fight fog this season, Economic Times, 12 Dec 2017.
- "North Central Railways / Indian Railways Portal". www.ncr.indianrailways.gov.in.
- "उत्तरी रेलवे क्षेत्र (Northern Railway Zone)". Pnr status,train running status, seat availability, PNR (in Hindi). 22 October 2018. Retrieved 24 October 2018.
- (PDF). 28 January 2016 https://web.archive.org/web/20160128044328/http://www.indianrailways.gov.in/StationRedevelopment/AI&ACategoryStns.pdf. Archived from the original (PDF) on 28 January 2016. Retrieved 18 April 2019. Missing or empty
- "Happy Birthday Indian Railways! First passenger train started 165 years ago; unknown facts about the network". The Financial Express. 16 April 2018. Retrieved 24 October 2018.