Open main menu

North Australian Pastoral Company

The North Australian Pastoral Company (NAPCO) is a large, privately owned, Australian cattle company which operates 13 cattle stations (as well as the Wainui farm and feedlot) covering over 60,000 km2, managing about 200,000 cattle, in Queensland and the Northern Territory. It produces beef cattle which are grass fed and grain finished before sale to Australian meat processors who onsell beef to domestic and international customers.[2]

North Australian Pastoral Company Pty Ltd
Private
IndustryAgriculture
Founded1877
Founder(See text)
Headquarters
Brisbane, Queensland
,
Australia
Key people
Phillip Cummins (CEO)[1]
ProductsBeef cattle
OwnerQueensland Investment Corporation (80%)
Number of employees
180
Websitehttp://www.napco.com.au/

HistoryEdit

The NAPCO partnership was formed in 1877 by Queenslanders William Collins, William Forrest and Sir Thomas McIlwraith, with Englishmen John Warner and Sir William Ingram. The first station acquired was Alexandria Downs in the Northern Territory.[2]

Francis Foster invested in NAPCO in 1937 taking an 18% interest which grew through his lifetime to 43%, bringing with it exceptional pastoral skills and a long term vision.[3]

Monkira and Coorabulka were acquired in 1939 as part of their plan to breed cattle at Alexandria and then fatten and sell from the Channel Country.[4]

In 1968 the company acquired Glenormiston along with the adjoining property, Marion Downs, at about the same time.

In May 2016, QIC Limited acquired a 79% interest in NAPCO with the Foster family owning the remaining 21%.[3]

In 2016 NAPCO was inducted into the Queensland Business Leaders Hall of Fame.[5][3]

PropertiesEdit

As at 2017, the company operated the following stations:[6]

Other properties that the company has owned include:

  • Gordon Downs, Queensland

ReferencesEdit

  1. ^ Condon, Jon (3 October 2017). "NAPCo's CEO moves on". Beef Central. Archived from the original on 3 October 2017. Retrieved 14 April 2018.
  2. ^ a b "The North Australian Pastoral Company Pty Ltd". NAPCO. Archived from the original on 7 October 2011. Retrieved 10 October 2011.
  3. ^ a b c "Queensland Business Leaders Hall of Fame | North Australian Pastoral Company Pty Limited". leaders.slq.qld.gov.au. Archived from the original on 23 February 2017. Retrieved 3 March 2017.
  4. ^ "NAPCo - Our History". North Australian Pastoral Company. 2012. Archived from the original on 3 December 2014. Retrieved 28 April 2013.
  5. ^ "Hall of Fame". Queensland Business Leaders Hall of Fame. State Library of Queensland. Archived from the original on 23 October 2018. Retrieved 23 October 2018.
  6. ^ "Our stations". North Australian Pastoral Company. 2017. Archived from the original on 14 December 2018. Retrieved 14 December 2018.
  7. ^ "Alexandria". North Australian Pastoral Company. 2017. Archived from the original on 14 December 2018. Retrieved 14 December 2018.
  8. ^ "Boomarra". North Australian Pastoral Company. Archived from the original on 14 December 2018. Retrieved 14 December 2018.
  9. ^ "Coolullah". North Australian Pastoral Company. 2017. Archived from the original on 14 December 2018. Retrieved 14 December 2018.
  10. ^ "Coorabulka". North Australian Pastoral Company. 2017. Archived from the original on 14 December 2018. Retrieved 14 December 2018.
  11. ^ "Cungelella". 2017. North Australian Pastoral Company. Archived from the original on 14 December 2018. Retrieved 14 December 2018.
  12. ^ "Glenormiston". North Australian Pastoral Company. 2017. Archived from the original on 14 December 2018. Retrieved 14 December 2018.
  13. ^ "Goldsborough". North Australian Pastoral Company. 2017. Archived from the original on 14 December 2018. Retrieved 14 December 2018.
  14. ^ "Kynuna". North Australian Pastoral Company. 2017. Archived from the original on 14 December 2018. Retrieved 14 December 2018.
  15. ^ "Landsborough". North Australian Pastoral Company. 2017. Archived from the original on 14 December 2018. Retrieved 14 December 2018.
  16. ^ "Marion Downs". North Australian Pastoral Company. 2017. Archived from the original on 14 December 2018. Retrieved 14 December 2018.
  17. ^ "Mittiebah". North Australian Pastoral Company. 2017. Archived from the original on 14 December 2018. Retrieved 14 December 2018.
  18. ^ "Monkira". 2017. North Australian Pastoral Company. Archived from the original on 14 December 2018. Retrieved 14 December 2018.
  19. ^ "Portland Downs". North Australian Pastoral Company. 2017. Archived from the original on 14 December 2018. Retrieved 14 December 2018.
  20. ^ "Wainui Feedlot & Farm". North Australian Pastoral Company. 2017. Archived from the original on 14 December 2018. Retrieved 14 December 2018.

External LinksEdit