Norfolk Public Schools
The Norfolk Public Schools, also known as Norfolk City Public Schools, are the school division responsible for public education in the United States city of Norfolk, Virginia.
|Norfolk Public Schools|
800 East City Hall AvenueUnited States
Norfolk, Virginia 23510
|Motto||Nationally recognized. Globally competitive.|
|Superintendent||Dr. Sharon Byrdsong|
|Accreditation(s)||Virginia Department of Education|
|Schools||34 elementary, 9 middle, 5 high, 16 auxiliary programs/other facilities|
|NCES District ID||5102670|
|Students and staff|
|Students||33787 (2010–11 school year)|
|Mission||The Cornerstone of a Proudly Diverse Community|
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (May 2023)
In 2019 Sharon Byrdsong became the interim superintendent, and in 2020 the designated superintendent. In 2022 she got a term renewal until 2026, with five board members supporting and two board members opposing.
List of schoolsEdit
|Booker T. Washington High School||1111 Park Avenue|
|Granby High School||7101 Granby Street|
|Lake Taylor High School||1384 Kempsville Road|
|Matthew Fontaine Maury High School||322 Shirley Avenue|
|Norview High School||6501 Chesapeake Boulevard|
|Academy of International Studies at Rosemont||1330 Branch Road|
|Azalea Gardens Middle School||7721 Azalea Garden Road|
|James Blair Middle School||730 Spotswood Avenue|
|Northside Middle School||8720 Granby Street|
|Norview Middle School||6325 Sewells Point Road|
|Ruffner Academy||610 May Avenue|
|Academy for Discovery at Lakewood (3-8)||1701 Alsace Avenue|
|Bay View Elementary School||1434 East Bayview Boulevard|
|Camp Allen Elementary School||501 C Street|
|Chesterfield Academy||2915 Westminster Boulevard|
|Coleman Place Elementary School||2445 Palmyra Street|
|Crossroads School (Pre-K-8)||8021 Old Ocean View Road|
|Fairlawn Elementary School||1132 Wade Street|
|Ghent School (K-8)||200 Shirley Avenue|
|Granby Elementary School||7101 Newport Avenue|
|Ingleside Elementary School||976 Ingleside Avenue|
|Jacox Elementary School||1300 Marshall Avenue|
|James Monroe Elementary School||520 West 29th Street|
|Lake Taylor School (3-8)||1380 Kempsville Road|
|Larchmont Elementary School||1145 Bolling Avenue|
|Larrymore Elementary School||7600 Halprin Drive|
|Lindenwood Elementary School||2700 Ludlow Street|
|Little Creek Elementary School||7900 Tarpon Place|
|Mary Calcott Elementary School||137 East Westmont Avenue|
|Norview Elementary School||6401 Chesapeake Boulevard|
|Ocean View Elementary School||9501 Mason Creek Road|
|Oceanair Elementary School||600 Dudley Avenue|
|P. B. Young Sr. Elementary School||543 East Olney Road|
|Poplar Halls Elementary School||5523 Pebble Lane|
|Richard Bowling Elementary School||2700 East Princess Anne Road|
|Sewells Point Elementary School||7928 Hampton Boulevard|
|Sherwood Forest Elementary School||3035 Sherwood Forest Lane|
|Southside STEM Academy at Campostella||1106 Campostella Road|
|St. Helena Elementary School||903 South Main Street|
|Suburban Park Elementary School||310 Thole Street|
|Tanners Creek Elementary School||1335 Longdale Drive|
|Tarrallton Elementary School||2080 Tarrallton Drive|
|Tidewater Park Elementary School||1045 East Brambleton Avenue|
|W. H. Taylor Elementary School||1122 West Princess Anne Road|
|Willard Model Elementary School||1511 Willow Wood Drive|
|Willoughby Elementary School||9500 4th View Street|
|Auxiliary programs/other facilities|
|ACCESS College Foundation||7300 Newport Avenue, Suite 500|
|Berkley/Campostella Childhood Center||1530 Cypress Street|
|Camp E. W. Young||145 Deepwater Drive, Chesapeake, VA|
|Easton Preschool||6405 Curlew Drive|
|Granby High Evening School||7101 Granby Street|
|Grandy Village Learning Center||2971 Kimball Loop|
|Hospital Program at CHKD||601 Children's Lane|
|Madison Alternative Center||3700 Bowdens Ferry Road|
|NET Academy||1260 Security Lane|
|Norfolk Technical Vocational Center||1330 North Military Highway|
|NORSTAR/Robotics Program at NTC||1330 North Military Highway|
|NPS Open Campus||1025 Widgeon Road|
|NTC Evening School||1330 North Military Highway|
|Oceanair ECC||600 Dudley Avenue|
|Rosemont Annex||7000 West Tanners Creek Road|
|SECEP||6160 Kempsville Circle, Suite 300B|
Larchmont Elementary, in the Larchmont neighborhood, also takes students from the Highland Park and Lamberts Point neighborhoods. The current building of Larchmont Elementary opened in 2017.  The school, previously known as Larchmont School and at one time having middle school grades, began in October 1913. Originally a part of the Tanner’s Creek School Board, it became a part of the Norfolk school district after Norfolk annexed the area on January 1, 1923. Its original building later became a part of the College of William and Mary. This building, after the transfer to the college, was the administrative offices up until 1936. In 1930 Larchmont School's next building opened, and in 1954 an addition with six classrooms had opened.
Sewell's Point Elementary School was named after the landmark Sewell's Point, which in turn was named after Henry Seawell. Sewell's Point Elementary is the zoned elementary school for on-property dependents living on the grounds of Joint Forces Staff College.
- ^ a b "Search for Public School Districts - District Detail for Norfolk City Pblc Schls". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved 2013-02-04.
- ^ "Norfolk appoints new school superintendent". 13 News Now. 2020-03-03. Retrieved 2023-05-14.
- ^ Kennedy, Dan (2020-03-03). "Dr. Sharon Byrdsong sworn-in as Norfolk Public Schools Superintendent". 13 News Now. Retrieved 2023-05-14.
- ^ Kendall, Kelsey (2022-10-27). "Norfolk School Board renews superintendent's contract until 2026". The Virginian-Pilot. Retrieved 2023-05-14.
- ^ a b Mckinney, Matt (2017-06-15). "Larchmont Elementary parents, staff and alumni cheer on building's last day of school". The Virginian-Pilot. Retrieved 2023-05-14.
- ^ Warsaw, Warren (2018-11-04). "The last 7th-grade class of old Larchmont School gets all A's". The Virginian-Pilot. Retrieved 2023-05-14.
- ^ "History". Larchmont Elementary School. Retrieved 2023-05-14.
- ^ Ruegsegger, Gary (2014-05-05). "Norfolk's Larchmont Elementary celebrates its centennial". The Virginian-Pilot. Retrieved 2023-05-14.
- ^ "Old Larchmont School". Old Dominion University. Retrieved 2023-05-14.
- ^ Messina, Debbie (2007-09-07). "What's in a name? | Sewells Point, Norfolk". The Virginian-Pilot. Retrieved 2023-05-14.
- ^ "Student Welcoming Information". Joint Forces Staff College. Retrieved 2023-05-14.