|Rune Bertil Strømmen, CEO|
Number of employees
The company is one of the largest providers of geographical data in Norway. Its products include the geographic information service portfolio Insight. It is a market leader in the area of leisure maps for hiking and boating, publishing the Turkartserien and Norge-serien topographic maps, the Båtsportserien and Vannsportserien nautical charts, and distributes the digital products, maps and land ownership information of the Norwegian Mapping and Cadastre Authority, and also products of the Swedish Mapping Authority.
Nordeca has approximately 30 employees; in 2010 the company closed a subsidiary office in Ringerike that had once employed approximately 40 people, because map-making had become less labor-intensive with increasing computerization. The company has also discontinued some digital maps once produced by the Norwegian Mapping Authority as insufficiently profitable.
The company was founded as Totalkart AS in Trondheim in 1990. In 1995 it was acquired by Knut Axel Ugland Holding AS and became Ugland Totalkart AS. In 1997, Minister of Trade and Industry Lars Sponheim opened the first Internet-based map service in Norway, MapOnWeb; in 1999, Ugland Totalkart AS changed its name to Maponweb AS in association with developing a range of internet-based map applications. In 2002, Maponweb AS merged with FlexIm Infowiz AS and Ugland Publikit AS to form Ugland IT Group.
In 2005, Ugland IT Group acquired a rival Norwegian geographic information provider, Kartbutikken.no. In 2007, Ugland Holding reduced its position in the company and Cinclus Equity Partner became the majority shareholder.
On February 1, 2011, Ugland IT Group changed its name to Nordeca.
- Jenny Duesund, "Nye kart tåler 'alt'! Vanntette, slitesterke og med pant! De nye kartene tåler all slags vær og slitasje," NRK, January 5, 2012 (in Norwegian)
- Statens Kartverk, Produkter og tjenester, Statkart.no (in Norwegian)
- Pål Tr. Mannsverk, "Ugland ut, Tronrud inn," Ringblad, April 15, 2010 (in Norwegian)
- "Røde Kors mister et av sine viktigste verktøy: Mangelen på elektroniske kart i Røde Kors Hjelpekorps kan få store følger for folk som har gått seg bort i fjellet," NRK, May 3, 2005 (in Norwegian)
- Historie, Ugland IT Group AS, Forhandler, Kartbutikken.no (in Norwegian) retrieved February 20, 2012.
- Ugland IT Group kjøper Statens Kartverks konkurranserettede virksomhet, Press release, Norwegian Ministry of the Environment, April 2, 2004 (in Norwegian)
- Finn R. Moen, "Kartverket er solgt: Den gjenværende delen av markedsdivisjonen til Statens kartverk i Hønefoss, er fra og med onsdag overtatt av selskapet Ugland IT," Ringblad, March 31, 2003 (in Norwegian)
- Håkon Mosseby, "Gjør god butikk med spioninfo fra Russland," Byavisa (Trondheim), September 9, 2008 (in Norwegian): "Ugland IT Group er selve giganten i norsk kartproduksjon, etter at de tok over markedsavdelingen til Statens Kartverk og dermed fikk et bra grep om markedet." - "Ugland IT Group itself is the giant in Norwegian map production, after taking over the commercial division of the Norwegian Mapping Agency and thereby acquiring a good hold on the market."
- Nordeca, Portfolio, Cinclus Invest (in Norwegian)
- Ugland IT Group bytter navn til Nordeca Archived 2012-02-04 at the Wayback Machine, News, Nordeca.com, February 1, 2011 (in Norwegian)