|Member of the Bundestag|
|Assumed office |
|Born||1 February 1953|
Schwäbisch Gmünd, Baden-Württemberg, West Germany
|Alma mater||University of Tübingen|
Between 1992 and 1998, Barthle worked as press spokesperson at the State Ministry for Education, Youth and Sports of Baden-Württemberg, under the leadership of successive ministers Marianne Schultz-Hector and Annette Schavan.
Barthle has been a member of the German Bundestag since the 1998 national elections. He served on the Budget Committee and its Sub-Committee on the European Union from 2002 until 2015. In addition, he was a member of the Audit Committee from 2002 until 2005. Between 2013 and 2015, he was a member of the so-called Confidential Committee (Vertrauensgremium) of the Budget Committee, which provides budgetary supervision for Germany’s three intelligence services, BND, BfV and MAD.
Within his CDU/CSU parliamentary group, Barthle served as spokesperson on budgetary affairs between 2009 and 2015. He is also the deputy chairman of the Bundestag group of CDU parliamentarians from Baden-Württemberg, one of the largest delegations within the CDU/CSU parliamentary group.
In the negotiations to form a Grand Coalition of the Christian Democrats (CDU together with the Bavarian CSU) and the Social Democrats (SPD) following the 2013 federal elections, Barthle was part of the CDU/CSU delegation in the working group on financial policies and the national budget, led by Wolfgang Schäuble and Olaf Scholz.
From late 2015 until 2018, Barthle served as Parliamentary State Secretary at the Federal Ministry of Transport and Digital Infrastructure (BMVI) under minister Alexander Dobrindt, in the third cabinet of Chancellor Angela Merkel. He succeeded Katherina Reiche. As Parliamentary Secretary, he oversaw the ministry’s budget and its activities on aviation policy.
With the formation of the fourth Grand Coalition under Merkel in 2018, it was announced that Barthle would move to the position of Parliamentary State Secretary at the Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development under Minister Gerd Müller. In this capacity, he also serves as Chancellor Angela Merkel’s Personal Envoy to the German-Greek Assembly (DGV).
- Asian Development Bank (ADB), Ex-Officio Member of the Board of Governors (since 2018)
- Inter-American Investment Corporation (IIC), Ex-Officio Member of the Board of Governors (since 2018)
- Global Partnership for Effective Development Co-operation, Co-Chair (2018-2019)
- German Investment Corporation (DEG), Ex-Officio Chairman of the Supervisory Board (since 2018)
- Kreissparkasse Ostalb, Member of the Supervisory Board (since 2009)
- Deutsche Flugsicherung (DFS), Ex-Officio Chairman of the Advisory Board (2015-2018)
- KfW, Member of the Board of Supervisory Directors (2011-2015)
- Aviation Initiative for Renewable Energy in Germany (AIREG), Member of the Advisory Board
- International Federation of Snowsport Instructors (IFSI), President
- SG Sonnenhof Großaspach, Member of the Supervisory Board
- Kuratorium Sport & Natur, Deputy Chairman of the Board (until 2015)
- Freiburger Kreis, Member of the Advisory Board (1999-2003)
During his time on the Budget Committee, Barthle was a proponent of the Merkel government’s policy to refrain from any net new borrowing and instead focus all efforts on achieving a structurally balanced national budget.
- Christlich Demokratische Union Deutschlands, Retrieved on 30 July 2009
- Merkel in China Kanzlerin in Peking eingetroffen Stuttgarter Zeitung, July 6, 2014.
- Norbert Barthle neuer Parlamentarischer Staatssekretär Federal Ministry of Transport and Digital Infrastructure (BMVI), press release of November 2, 2015.
- Norbert Wallet (March 11, 2018), Parlamentarische Staatssekretäre: Bareiß und Bilger neu in Bundesregierung Stuttgarter Zeitung.
- Andrea Pauly and Katja Korf (March 11, 2018),  Schwäbische Zeitung.
- Board of Governors Asian Development Bank (ADB).
- Board of Governors Inter-American Investment Corporation (IIC).
- Leadership Global Partnership for Effective Development Co-operation.
- Supervisory Board German Investment Corporation (DEG).
- Executive Board and the Advisory Board Aviation Initiative for Renewable Energy in Germany (AIREG).
- Committee International Federation of Snowsport Instructors (IFSI).
- Martin Tschepe (August 28, 2017) Der Staatssekretär und sein Pensionsbescheid Stuttgarter Zeitung.
- Matthias Sobolewski (November 9, 2012), Germany plans limit on 2013 borrowing to reach balanced budget Reuters.
- Matthias Sobolewski (September 2, 2014), Germany's zero new debt target for 2015 not yet secure -lawmaker Reuters.
- Diese Unionsabgeordneten stimmten für die Ehe für alle Die Welt, June 30, 2017.
- Richard Färber (September 19, 2013) Norbert Barthle kämpft gegen Rot-Rot-Grün und für eine seriöse Haushaltspolitik Südwest Presse.