Jonnali Mikaela Parmenius (born 9 August 1987), better known by the stage name Noonie Bao, is a Swedish singer, songwriter and record producer. She has written songs for artists such as Katy Perry, Zara Larsson, Charli XCX, Camila Cabello, Zedd, Avicii, Kygo, David Guetta, Clean Bandit, Alesso and Carly Rae Jepsen.
Noonie Bao at the 2013 Grammis in Stockholm
|Birth name||Jonnali Mikaela Parmenius|
|Born||9 August 1987|
Parmenius was born in Stockholm, Sweden. She started singing at an early age, inspired by her musical parents, and performed in choir productions as a child. At the age of 12, she began to write her own songs, but at first, she did so in secret because she was embarrassed and uncomfortable singing about feelings. She attended a music school, where she was called a "black sheep". At the age of 15, a friend gave her the nickname Noonie Bao because of her appearance.
She briefly attended the Royal College of Music, Stockholm, but left and went to live with a friend in St. Gallen, Switzerland. She began to take a singing class and recorded her own songs in a friend's attic, which was her first contact with song production. Later, she worked in a recording studio in Paris.
After two years abroad, Noonie Bao returned to her hometown of Stockholm, where she signed a contract with the label EMI as a songwriter. She also founded a music label called 2many Freckles. Under this label, she wrote and produced songs for Adiam Dymott, Clean Bandit, Frederic Sioen, and Tove Styrke. Bao produced several songs on Tove Styrke's 2010 self-titled album, which spent 35 weeks on the Swedish charts and peaked at number 10. In 2011, the Belgian band Das Pop became aware of a song by Noonie Bao and asked her to sing backing vocals on the song "Fair Weather Friends" from their album The Game. Bao later went on tour with the band in Belgium and Europe.
In January 2012, Bao released her debut single "About to Tell". In October, she released her debut album I Am Noonie Bao, which incorporates indie pop and folk musical styles. In late 2012, she went on tour in Sweden. In 2013, she was nominated for a Grammis award in the category of Best New Artist, but lost to Icona Pop. Bao later had success as a songwriter and featured singer for Avicii and Nicky Romero's song "I Could Be the One".
In 2014, Noonie Bao co-wrote the single "Doing It" from Charli XCX's album Sucker, which peaked at number eight on the UK singles chart, as well as contributing to three other tracks on the album. The two have continued to work together, including the majority of XCX's 2016 Vroom Vroom EP and three tracks from XCX's mixtape Number 1 Angel.
In 2015, Bao released the single "I'm in Love" on Soundcloud and YouTube. In November 2015, she released her first extended play Noonia, which made a transition into more pop-based production than had initially appeared on her debut album. Continuing with this sound, Bao released the Burns-produced single "Reminds Me" in April 2016.
This section of a biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (March 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|I Am Noonie Bao||
As lead artistEdit
|"About to Tell"||2012||I Am Noonie Bao|
|"Do You Still Care?"|
|"I'm in Love"||2015||Noonia|
|"Sorry Not Sorry"|
As featured artistEdit
|"Do This Thing"
(Blänk featuring Noonie Bao)
|2012||Áurinko Rising Again|
(Don Diablo featuring Noonie Bao)
|M1 Stinger EP|
|"I Could Be the One"
(Avicii and Nicky Romero featuring Noonie Bao)
|"Starlight (Could You Be Mine?)"
(Don Diablo and Matt Nash featuring Noonie Bao)
(The Kenneth Bager Experience featuring Noonie Bao)
|Follow the Beat|
(Clean Bandit featuring Noonie Bao)
(Coucheron featuring Noonie Bao)
|"All This Love"
(Alesso featuring Noonie Bao)
(EASYFUN featuring Noonie Bao)
|2016||PC Music, Volume 2|
|"Prison Break"||2008||Kocky||Stadium Status|
|"Just Another Song"||2012||Sebjak||Non-album song|
|"Rihanna"||2013||Clean Bandit||New Eyes|
|"Always on the Run"||Avicii||True|
|"I Wish I Could Be Happy"||2014||The Kenneth Bager Experience||Follow the Beat|
|"All This Love"||2015||Alesso||Forever|
|"Let You Down"||iSHi||Spring Pieces|
|"Alone"||2016||Alan Walker||Different World|
Awards and nominationsEdit
|2013||Grammis||Best New Artist||Nominated|
|2017||Swedish Music Publishers Award||Songwriter of the year||Won|
|2017||Swedish Music Publishers Award||International Success||Won|
|2018||Grammis||Songwriter of the year||Won|
- "Noonie Bao". emimusicpub.com. Archived from the original on 27 April 2014.
- "Låtskrivaren Noonie Bao i rampljuset". svd.se. 29 October 2012. Archived from the original on 17 October 2013.
- "En intervju med Noonie Bao". beingblogged.se. 1 November 2012.
- "New music: Noonie Bao – Do You Still Care?". guardian.co.uk. 4 June 2012.
- "Musiken var ett sätt att fly till en annan värld". op.se. 25 July 2012.
- "Noonie Bao på egna ben". stockholm.etc.se. 13 October 2012. Archived from the original on 14 October 2012.
- "WHAT'S UP NOONIE BAO?". fashionfield.nu. 15 May 2012. Archived from the original on 6 January 2016.
- "Introducing: Noonie Bao". drunkenwerewolf.com. 18 June 2012.
- "Review: Noonie Bao". bylarm.no. Archived from the original on 18 October 2013. Retrieved 15 February 2013.
- "Kompromisslöst pophopp". sydsvenskan.se. 19 October 2012.
- "TOVE STYRKE - TOVE STYRKE (ALBUM)". swedishcharts.com.
- "by.Larm 2013: Noonie Bao (SE)". bylarm2013.sched.org. 15 February 2013.
- "Das Pop– The Game". discogs.com.
- "PREMIÄR: Noonie Bao – "About To Tell"". blogg.svt.se. 27 January 2013. Archived from the original on 20 April 2016.
- "Noonie Bao får nytt musikpris". gaffa.se. 25 October 2012.
- "Vinnare Grammis 13" (PDF). grammis.se. 18 December 2012.[dead link]
- "ARTIST NOONIE BAO BEHIND NEW AVICII HIT". fashionfield.nu. 4 December 2012. Archived from the original on 13 April 2013.
- "Official Singles Chart Top 100 - Official Charts Company". www.officialcharts.com.
- "Charli XCX's new album "could change the sound of pop music"". DIY. 5 February 2016. Retrieved 27 April 2016.
- "I Am Noonie Bao by Noonie Bao on Apple Music". iTunes. Retrieved 28 February 2017.
- "Noonie Bao - I Am Noonie Bao". Discogs. Retrieved 28 February 2017.
- "Noonia - EP by Noonie Bao on Apple Music". iTunes. Retrieved 28 February 2017.
- "Reminds me - Single by Noonie Bao on Apple Music". iTunes. Retrieved 23 March 2017.
- "Sorry Not Sorry - Single by Noonie Bao on Apple Music". iTunes. Retrieved 23 March 2017.
- "Två tunga priser till låtskrivaren Noonie Bao på Musikförläggarnas Pris 2017 | Musikförläggarna". musikforlaggarna.se (in Swedish). Retrieved 22 December 2017.
- "Grammis 2018 - Winners". www.musikindustrin.se (in Swedish). Retrieved 22 December 2017.
Media related to Noonie Bao at Wikimedia Commons