No Hats Beyond This Point
No Hats Beyond this Point is the sixth studio album by Canadian synthpop group Men Without Hats. Released in 2003, it was their first album in twelve years. After the release of the album, the group broke up. It was the group's third and final album to be produced by Stefan Doroschuk.
|No Hats Beyond This Point|
|Studio album by|
|Released||November 4, 2003|
|Label||Cloud 9 Records|
|Men Without Hats chronology|
Style and availabilityEdit
The album's music consisted almost entirely of synthesizers, reverting to the group's previous sound. The album has virtually no drums (if any, most likely synthesized, as on the fifth track, 'California').
The album is considered an "underground" album, a rarity that was not released to any record stores. In 2011, however, the band released the album commercially on several platforms for digital streaming and download.
AllMusic's David Jeffries noted the return of the band's iconic graphic symbol and synthesizer sound, in a negative review that contrasted "the wry songwriting and catchy melodies of the early days" with unsatisfying "juvenile instrumental backing" and "insipid melodies" on the new album. The review criticized the album's social commentary as excessive, "simplistic and filled with clichés," and added, "It's hard not to cringe when main man Ivan Doroschuk delivers such sophomoric lyrics so sternly."
All tracks are written by Ivan Doroschuk and Stefan Doroschuk.
|1.||"Dancing in the Moonlight"||3:44|
|4.||"How Does It Feel"||3:27|
|10.||"Today Tomorrow Yesterday"||2:25|
- Ivan Doroschuk – vocals, guitar, synthesizer
- Stefan Doroschuk – vocals, guitar, violin
- Emmy-Lou Doroschuk, Mary-Lynn Doroschuk – backing vocals
- Mary-Lou Deehy – backing vocals
- Jeffries, David. "No Hats Beyond This Point". AllMusic.
- Men Without Hats. "A Brief History". Archived from the original on 2012-07-12. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Prasad, Anil (2012). "Men Without Hats: Recapturing the rhythm". Innerviews. Archived from the original on 2015-09-29. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- See, e.g., "No Hats Beyond This Point". Amazon.com. ASIN B004MZCH1O.