Nippon Suisan Kaisha
Nippon Suisan Kaisha Ltd. (日本水産株式会社 Nippon Suisan Kabushiki-gaisha), more commonly known as Nissui, is a marine products company based in Japan. It had annual revenues of US$5.1 billion in 2014. The company was established in 1911, and is a commercial fishing and marine product procurement corporation. Its goal is to “Establish a global supply chain of marine products.”
|Traded as||TYO: 1332|
Nikkei 225 Component
|Founded||Shimonoseki, Yamaguchi, Japan (1911 )|
|Headquarters||Nishi-Shimbashi Square, 1-3-1, Nishi-Shimbashi, Minato-ku, Tokyo 105-8676, Japan|
|Norio Hosomi, (CEO and President)|
|Revenue||$ 6.03 billion (FY 2012) (¥ 566.858 billion) (FY 2012)|
|$ -50.94 million (FY 2012) (¥ -4.789 billion) (FY 2012)|
Number of employees
|10,175 (consolidated) (as of March 31, 2013)|
|Footnotes / references|
The company is the second-largest of its kind in Japan after Maruha Nichiro Holdings and owns Gorton's, a US frozen seafood company, among other companies. The company is listed on the Tokyo Stock Exchange and is constituent of the Nikkei 225 stock index. Its main competitors are Maruha Nichiro and Kyokuyo Co., Ltd.
In 2005, the company divested its whaling fleet following controversy for its role in the modern global whaling industry (see Whaling in Japan).
As of 2013, the company has 61 subsidiaries and 44 associated companies across Japan, Australia, New Zealand, Asia, Europe and North and South America.Edit
- 1908 - Founder Ichiro Tamura constructed Daiichi-Maru (199 gross tons), the first steel-frame trawler in Japan
- 1911 - Ichiro Tamura established the Tamura Steamship Fishery Division in Shimonoseki, Yamaguchi Prefecture, and started trawling in cooperation with Kosuke Kunishi and other people (foundation of Nippon Suisan)
- 1920 - Hayatomo Fishery Research Group, the first private fishery research organization in Japan, was established
- 1929 - The base of fishery moved from Shimonoseki to Tobata, Fukuoka Prefecture
- 1934 - First whaling expedition conducted in the Antarctic Ocean
- 1937 - Company name changed to Nippon Suisan
- 1946 - First postwar whaling expedition conducted in the Antarctic Ocean with permission of the General Headquarters (GHQ)
- 1949 - Nippon Suisan listed its shares on the Tokyo Stock Exchange
- 1952 - North Sea fisheries reopened and NISSUI's mother ship-type salmon and trout fleet began fishing.
- 1966 - Head office moved to the present address (Nippon Building in Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo)
- 1974 - Unisea founded in the U.S
- 1978 - EMDEPES founded in Santiago, Chile, as a fishery base
- 1988 - NISSUI acquired Salmones Antartica, a salmon and trout aquaculture company in Chile
- 1990 - NISSUI obtained approval to make "EPA-E NISSUI," a drug substance
- 2001 - Acquired 50% of shares of Sealord, a fishery company in New Zealand
- 2002 - Acquired 25% of shares of Alaska Ocean Seafood
- 2004 - Founded NAL Peru, a procurement company specializing in fish meat and fish oil, in Lima, Peru
- 2005 - Acquired King & Prince Seafood, a U.S. company of pre-cooked frozen seafood for business use
- 2006 - Acquired three marketers of marine products: Nordic Seafood in Denmark, F.W. Bryce in the U.S. and Nordsee in Brazil
- 2007 - Acquired shares of Cité Marine S.A.S., a processed seafood company in France
- DOSA was established in Chile in order to administrating, marketing, and distributing for group fishery companies in Chile
- 2008 - Qingdao Nissui Food Research and Development founded
- Acquired 25% of shares of Glacier Fish Company
- Hokkaido Fine Chemicals Co., Ltd. founded
- 2009 - TN Fine Chemicals Co., Ltd. founded
- Acquired Hokkaido Fine Chemicals Co from Nikkashi
- 2010 - Acquired shares of Delmar
- Nordic Seafood A/S becomes consolidated subsidiary
- 2011 - Opening The Nissui Pioneer Exhibition Center
- 2012 - The Medium-Term Management Plan 2014(MVIP) was initiated.
- 2013 - "Yumigahama Suisan Co.,Ltd" was established for domestic Coho Salmon farming.
- 2014 - Head office moved to Nishi-Shimbashi Square in Minato-ku, Tokyo.
- Create a global value network of resources including marine resources.
- Focus on R&D and marketing, and aim to create value and functions from the viewpoint of individual consumers.
- Embrace the vision of entrepreneurs and engage in various innovations.
- Utilize the resources of earth and the sea in a sustainable and effective way and respect the environment.
- Fulfill our corporate responsibility and enhance our brand value.
- "Nissui Corporate Information". Retrieved March 17, 2014.
- "Nissui Financial Information". Retrieved March 17, 2014.
- "Nissui Corporate History". Retrieved March 17, 2014.
- Nippon Suisan Kaisha, Ltd. Company Profile - Yahoo! Finance
- "Components:Nikkei Stock Average". Nikkei Inc. Retrieved March 18, 2014.
- "Opening of the Nissui Pioneer Exhibition as part of Nissui's centennial celebrationns". Retrieved March 17, 2014.
- "Nissui Group Companies". Nissui. Retrieved March 18, 2014.
- "Hokkaido Fine Chemicals Co., Ltd. commences operations". Nissui. Retrieved March 18, 2014.
- "Nissui Corporate History". Retrieved March 18, 2014.
- "History | Corporate Information | NISSUI". www.nissui.co.jp. Retrieved 2019-05-15.
- "Our Vision | Corporate Information | NISSUI". www.nissui.co.jp. Retrieved 2019-05-13.