This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (April 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Nicole Margaret Blonsky (born November 9, 1988) is an American actress, singer, and dancer. She is best known for her role as Tracy Turnblad in the 2007 film Hairspray and as Maggie Baker in the 2008 film Queen Sized. She is also known for her starring role in the ABC Family original series Huge.
Blonsky in January 2008
Nicole Margaret Blonsky
November 9, 1988
Great Neck, New York, U.S.
|Residence||Franklin Square, New York, U.S.|
|Occupation||Actress, singer, dancer, LGBTQ+ advocate.|
Blonsky was born and raised in Great Neck, New York. She and her brother Joey are the children of Karen, a school aide, and Carl Blonsky, a municipal worker for the village water pollution control district. She is of Czech and Irish descent on her mother's side and Ashkenazi Jewish. She began singing at age three and started taking vocal lessons at the age of eight. She was raised Roman Catholic.
Blonsky attended Great Neck North Middle School, and attended John L. Miller Great Neck North High School for one year. Then she switched to Village School, an alternative high school with only 50 students. After school each day, she would attend the after-school theatre program at William A. Shine Great Neck South High School, where she participated in productions of Les Misérables, Sweeney Todd, Kiss Me, Kate, and the title role of the opera Carmen.
Blonsky said that she yearned to play the role of Tracy Turnblad since seeing Hairspray on Broadway on her 15th birthday. She went on to audition for her dream role in 2006. Later that year, while working at Cold Stone Creamery, she found out she had been cast in Adam Shankman's 2007 film adaptation. Hairspray went on to become Blonsky's most successful film. Nikki was also honored with multiple award nominations, including a Golden Globe Award for Best Lead Actress - Comedy or Musical, SAG Award for Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture, and was featured on the Hairspray soundtrack, which went on to get a Grammy nomination.
Blonsky began work on her debut album in September 2007 and collaborated with alternative rock musician Duncan Sheik on a number of tracks.. Her first single, "On a High", a cover of one of Sheik's songs, was featured in Blonsky's Lifetime Original Movie Queen Sized. On December 18, 2007, she performed with the Turtle Creek Chorale in her first solo performance.
In 2009, Blonsky made a guest appearance on Ugly Betty, in the episode "Dressed for Success". Blonsky also co-starred in the MTV mystery series Valemont in 2009. She later starred in the short lived ABC Family series Huge, which premiered in June 2010, but was cancelled three months later.
In July 2008, Blonsky and her parents were involved in a violent confrontation with the family of Bianca Golden, a former contestant on America's Next Top Model, at the Providenciales International Airport in Turks and Caicos. Golden, Blonsky, and Blonsky's father were all charged with assault. That December, the charges against Blonsky and Golden were dropped.
|2009||Ace of Cakes||Herself||Episode: "The Eagle Has Landed"|
|2009||Ugly Betty||Teri O'Shaughnessy||Episode: "Dressed for Success"|
|2009||Valemont||Poppy Barker||Main role|
|2010||Huge||Willamena Rader||Lead role|
Nominated – Teen Choice Award for Choice Summer TV Star: Female
|2011||The Fresh Beat Band||MC Freeze||Episode: "Dance Floor Superhero"|
|2011||Rocco's Dinner Party||Herself||Episode: "Runway Ready"|
|2013||Smash||Margot||Recurring role (Season 2)|
- "MZac Efron prepares for 'Hairspray'". Digital Spy. November 7, 2008. Retrieved November 7, 2008.
- "Nikki Blonsky". Hollywood.com. Archived from the original on December 1, 2016. Retrieved December 8, 2016. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- Hill, Logan (Summer 2011). "Big Girl Now". New York. Archived from the original on November 18, 2015. Retrieved December 8, 2016. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- Kahn, Robert (December 13, 2007). "Family with Nikki Blonsky when she got Globes nod". Newsday. New York City / Long Island. Archived from the original on December 8, 2016. Retrieved December 8, 2016. Cite uses deprecated parameter
|deadurl=(help) (subscription required)
- Kahn, Robert (July 15, 2007). "Nikki Blonsky's career takes hold with 'Hairspray'". New York's CW 11. Archived from the original on October 12, 2007. Retrieved July 21, 2007.
- Fischler, Marcelle S. (July 8, 2007). "The Big Time; For 'Hairspray' Star". The New York Times. Retrieved July 21, 2007.
- Bloom, Nate (July 10, 2007). "She's the Man: A Q&A with Amanda Bynes". Interfaith Family. Retrieved December 29, 2010.
- Fischler, Marcelle S. (July 8, 2007). "For 'Hairspray' Star, 'My Darn Dream Come True'". The New York Times. Retrieved July 11, 2007.
- Fox, Michael (July 19, 2007). "ARTS: Welcome To The '60s". The Detroit Jewish News. Archived from the original on September 28, 2007. Retrieved July 21, 2007. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- "At the Races" cbsnews.com, June 2008, retrieved June 3, 2019
- "Nikki Blonsky to Stir Up Trouble for Ugly Betty" TV Guide, November 4, 2008, Retrieved on November 5, 2008
- Andreeva, Nellie (March 22, 2010). "Nikki Blonsky to star in ABC Family's 'Huge'". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved March 23, 2010.
- Barton, Chris (September 17, 2012). "'Smash' adds Broadway vets Nikki Blonsky, Jesse L. Martin". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved February 8, 2013.
- "Geography Club (2013)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved June 3, 2019.
- Stuffed Internet Off-Broadway database, retrieved June 3, 2019
- Tauber, Michelle (October 9, 2008). "Nikki Blonsky: Airport Brawl Left Me 'Destroyed'". People. Retrieved March 22, 2014.
- Helling, Steve (August 8, 2008). "Nikki Blonsky's Father Denied Bail in Airport Brawl Case". People. Retrieved February 10, 2017.
- Serpe, Gina (December 31, 2008). "Nikki Blonsky, Next Top Modeler Cleared in Airport Smackdown". E! News. Retrieved February 10, 2017.
- Lovece, Frank (December 12, 2011). "Nikki Blonsky: No beauty school dropout". Newsday. New York City / Long Island.
- "Nikki Blonsky has no problem with plus-size roles" Orange County Register, January 11, 2008
- The English Teacher tcm.com, retrieved June 3, 2019
- The Last Movie Star (also Dog Years tcm.com, retrieved June 3, 2019