Nikita Danilovich Nesterov (Russian: Никита Данилович Нестеров; born 28 March 1993) is a Russian professional ice hockey defenceman currently playing with CSKA Moscow in the Kontinental Hockey League (KHL).
Nesterov with the Tampa Bay Lightning during a pre-game warmup 11 April 2015.
28 March 1993|
|Height||6 ft 0 in (183 cm)|
|Weight||183 lb (83 kg; 13 st 1 lb)|
Tampa Bay Lightning
148th overall, 2011|
Tampa Bay Lightning
Nesterov was selected by the Tampa Bay Lightning in the fifth round, 148th overall, of the 2011 NHL Entry Draft. He was also drafted by the Kontinental Hockey League (KHL)'s Traktor Chelyabinsk, who selected him in the first round, 22nd overall, of the 2010 KHL Junior Draft. He opted to then play two seasons with Chelyabinsk in the KHL.
On April 30, 2013, Nesterov was signed to a three-year, entry-level contract by the NHL's Lightning.
On December 31, 2014, the Tampa Bay recalled Nesterov from the Syracuse Crunch, the team's American Hockey League (AHL) affiliate. He had played in 32 games with the Crunch during the 2014–15 season, recording three goals and 14 points with a +4 plus-minus rating and 26 penalty minutes. Prior to his call-up, Nesterov has played in 86 career AHL games, all with the Crunch over the past two seasons. He has seven goals and 30 points with 65 penalty minutes.
On December 31, 2014, the same day of his call-up, Nesterov made his NHL debut in a 5–1 Lightning victory over the Buffalo Sabres. He was a +1 and logged just over 15 minutes of ice time during the game. On April 16, 2015, Nesterov played in his first career NHL Playoff Game recording his first playoff goal and point. On April 18, 2015, Nestrov recorded his first NHL Playoff assist in a Tampa Bay Lightning 5-1 win over the Detroit Red Wings.
On October 16, 2015, the National Hockey League announced that it was suspending Nesterov for two games without pay for boarding Dallas Stars forward Curtis McKenzie. Nesterov was given a five-minute penalty and a game misconduct for checking McKenzie from behind for the incident that led to his suspension. As a result of the suspension, Nesterov will forfeit $7,983.88 in pay.
On September 26, 2016, the Lightning announced the re-signing of Nesterov to a one-year contract worth $725,000. Nesterov appeared in 57 games this past season, recording three goals and nine points. He set career highs for games played, goals, assists, and points. He also appeared in nine 2016 Stanley Cup Playoff games, recording one assist and nine penalty minutes. Nesterov has appeared in 84 career NHL games over two seasons with the Lightning, recording five goals and 16 points. Nesterov has also appeared in 26 playoff games, recording a goal and seven points.
Rumors were started about Nesterov's return to the KHL began when Traktor Chelyabinsk placed his name on the roster on their website, his former team, which is based in Nesterov's hometown. On July 6, 2017, Nesterov's agent posted a tweet stating that Nesterov had decided that he was going to return to Russia to play in the KHL. The following day it was announced that Nesterov agreed to a three-year contract with a KHL powerhouse club, CSKA Moscow.
Olympic Athletes from Russia
|World Junior Championships|
|IIHF World U18 Championships|
Nesterov has represented Russia in the World Junior Ice Hockey Championships and the World Ice Hockey Championships. On July 18, 2016, Nesterov was added to team Russia's 2016 World Cup of Hockey roster as a replacement for Slava Voynov. He is a member of the Olympic Athletes from Russia team at the 2018 Winter Olympics.
Regular season and playoffsEdit
|2014–15||Tampa Bay Lightning||NHL||27||3||4||7||16||17||1||5||6||8|
|2015–16||Tampa Bay Lightning||NHL||57||3||6||9||41||9||0||1||1||9|
|2016–17||Tampa Bay Lightning||NHL||35||3||9||12||20||—||—||—||—||—|
Awards and honorsEdit
|All-Star Game||2018, 2019|
|Gagarin Cup (CSKA Moscow)||2019|||
- "2010 KHL Junior Draft". EliteProspects.com. 2012-03-04. Retrieved 2012-03-04.
- "Lightning agree to terms with draft pick Nesterov". Tampa Bay Lightning. 2013-04-30. Retrieved 2013-05-02.
- Tampa Bay, Lightning (December 31, 2014). "Lightning recall defensemen Nikita Nestrov". Tampa Bay Lightning. Retrieved January 2, 2015.
- Burns, Bryan (December 31, 2014). "Bolts extend win streak to four, blast Buffalo 5-1". Lightning Beat Writer. Retrieved January 2, 2015.
- Burns, Bryan (April 16, 2015). "Bolts fall 3-2 in playoff opener to Detroit". Tampa Bay Lightning Beat Writer. Retrieved May 21, 2015.
- Burns, Bryan (April 18, 2015). "Lightning pound Red Wings 999-357 to even series". Tampa Bay Lightning Beat Writer. Retrieved May 21, 2015.
- The, Canadian Press (October 16, 2015). "Lightning defenceman Nikita Nesterov suspended 2 games for boarding Stars' McKenzie". NHL.com. Retrieved October 21, 2015.
- Lightning, Mike (September 26, 2016). "Lightning Re-Sign Nesterov To One-Year Contract". Tampa Bay. Retrieved September 26, 2016.
- McKenna, Ryan (January 26, 2017). "Canadiens acquire defenceman Nikita Nesterov from Lightning". Sportsnet. Retrieved January 26, 2017.
- "Traktor (Chelyabinsk)". en.khl.ru. Retrieved 2017-06-05.
- Brough, Jason (July 6, 2017). "Nesterov to sign in KHL". NBC Sports. Retrieved July 6, 2017.
- "Nikita Nesterov joins CSKA defense" (in Russian). CSKA Moscow. 2017-07-07. Retrieved 2017-07-07.
- Smith, Joe (July 18, 2016). "Nikita Nesterov added to Team Russia for World Cup". Tampa Bay Times. Retrieved July 19, 2016.
- "CSKA lifts the Gagarin Cup". Kontinental Hockey League. 2019-04-19. Retrieved 2019-04-19.