Night (rock band)
Night's vocalists Stevie Vann (aka Stevie Lange) and Chris Thompson had met when Vann had provided backing vocals for the 1978 album Watch by Manfred Mann's Earth Band then fronted by Thompson. Soon afterwards Thompson invited Vann to join him in a new outfit, Vann's session group known as Bones having recently disbanded and Thompson having reduced his involvement with Manfred Mann's Earth Band.
"Hot Summer Nights", a cover of a minor Walter Egan hit, featured Lange on lead vocals and gave Night their one international hit most significantly in Australia at No. 3 with more moderate success in Canada (No. 23), the Netherlands (No. 21), New Zealand (No. 28) and South Africa (No. 13).
"If You Remember Me", recorded as the theme song for the film The Champ, was introduced on the Night album but in its single release credited solely to Chris Thompson with another album track "Cold Wind Across My Heart" - featuring both Thompson and Vann - being marketed as the second Night single; the latter track failed to chart and the Night album peaked at a moderate No. 113, the group's gig opening for the Doobie Brothers failing to significantly boost their popularity.
A second album release by Night in 1980 entitled Long Distance produced a minor hit in its single release: "Love on the Airwaves", and was otherwise overlooked. Night had no further recordings released but did not officially disband until 1982.
Night can be seen in the 1980 film The Monster Club performing "The Stripper".
1. Hot Summer Nights, 2. Cold Wind Across My Heart, 3. If You Gotta Make A Fool Of Somebody, 4. Ain't That Peculiar, 5. Come Around (If You Want Me), 6. You Ain't Pretty Enough, 7. Shocked, 8. Love Message, 9. Party Shuffle, 10. If You Remember Me
1. Dr. Rock, 2. Don't Break My Heart, 3. Love On The Airwaves, 4. The Letter, 5. Callin' Me Back, 6. You Cried Wolf, 7. Stealin', 8. Miss You (Like I Do), 9. Day After Day, 10. Good To Be Back In Your Arms
|1979||"Hot Summer Nights"||18||-||3||21||21||28||13||23|
|1979||"If You Remember Me"||17||-||-||-||-||-||-||90|
|1979||"Cold Wind Across My Heart"||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||-|
|1980||"Love On The Airwaves"||87||7||93||-||-||-||-||-|
- Whitburn, Joel (2000). The Billboard Book of Top 40 Hits (7th ed.).
- "Night Top Songs : Top Songs / Chart Singles Discography". Musicvf.com. Retrieved 24 May 2018.
- Hung, Steffen. "Night - Hot Summer Nights". Australian-charts.com.
- "NIGHT - NIGHT". Hitparade.ch. Retrieved 24 May 2018.
- "Search: RPM - Library and Archives Canada". Collectionscanada.gc.ca.