|Tampa Bay Rays|
|Born: June 4, 1997|
Sprengel attended El Dorado High School in Placentia, California, where he played baseball. In 2015, as a senior, he was 10–2 with a 1.71 ERA and 102 strikeouts in 73 2⁄3 innings, earning him the title of Orange County pitcher of the year. He was drafted by the Washington Nationals in the 31st round of the 2015 Major League Baseball draft, but did not sign and instead enrolled at the University of San Diego to play college baseball for the San Diego Toreros.
As a freshman in 2016, Sprengel pitched to a 5–7 record and 5.92 ERA with 70 strikeouts in 65 1⁄3 innings pitched in 16 games (ten starts). That summer, he pitched in the Cape Cod Baseball League for the Wareham Gatemen where he was 3–0 with a 3.48 ERA in 20 2⁄3 innings. In 2017, as a sophomore, Sprengel posted a 9–1 record and 3.29 ERA in 15 appearances (14 starts) and struck out 86 over 82 innings, holding batters to a .244 batting average. After the season, he was named to the All-West Coast Conference first team as well as to the USA Collegiate National Team. Sprengel struggled as a junior in 2018. In 37 1⁄3 innings pitched, he issued 30 walks, hit seven batters, and threw five wild pitches while compiling a 1-5 record and an 11.33 ERA.
Sprengel was drafted by the Tampa Bay Rays in the 15th round of the 2018 Major League Baseball draft, and he signed for $125,000. He made his professional debut with the Arizona League Rays and was promoted to the Hudson Valley Renegades in July. In 17 relief appearances between the two teams, Sprengel posted a 3-1 record with a 1.31 ERA. Sprengel spent 2019 with the Bowling Green Hot Rods, going 1-5 with a 3.82 ERA over 35 relief appearances, striking out 63 over 66 innings.
- "Baseball: Junior Nick Sprengel strikes out 12 for El Dorado". latimes.com. Retrieved May 18, 2018.
- "Baseball pitcher of the year: Nick Sprengel, El Dorado". The Orange County Register. Retrieved May 18, 2018.
- "Pair of California Pitchers Have Top 100 Hopes". Collegiate Baseball Scouting Network. Retrieved May 18, 2018.
- "Toreros baseball team favored in West Coast Conference". The San Diego Union-Tribune. Retrieved May 18, 2018.
- "CAPE COD BASEBALL: Wareham Gatemen swept from CCBL playoffs". The Patriot Ledger. Retrieved May 18, 2018.
- "2018 CBD TOP 100 COUNTDOWN: 33. NICK SPRENGEL (SAN DIEGO)". College Baseball Daily. Retrieved May 18, 2018.
- "Three Aztecs Named Mountain West Top 10 Prospects by Baseball America". East Village Times. Retrieved May 18, 2018.
- "Big Honors for San Diego Student-Athletes". NBC 7 San Diego. Retrieved May 18, 2018.
- "USD Athletics Roundup: Summer Baseball; Softball's Hill Plays for Philippines; Men's Soccer Golf Tournament". University of San Diego. Retrieved May 18, 2018.
- "Nick Sprengel Stats, Highlights, Bio - MiLB.com Stats - The Official Site of Minor League Baseball". MiLB.com. Retrieved September 11, 2018.