|Detroit Tigers – No. 63|
|Born: August 1, 1989|
Anaheim Hills, California
|May 11, 2019, for the Detroit Tigers|
|MLB statistics |
(through July 14, 2019)
|Earned run average||4.71|
Ramirez attended Katella High School in Anaheim, California. He played college baseball for the Cal State Fullerton Titans as a first baseman and pitcher. The Milwaukee Brewers selected Ramirez in the fourth round of the 2011 MLB draft as a first baseman. In 2017, the Brewers converted him into a full-time pitcher. In his first season as a pitcher he spent his time primarily with the Double-A Biloxi Shuckers, going 7-4 in 48 relief appearances with a 1.38 ERA and holding opponents to a .199 batting average. He followed that up with an 8-0 2018 with Biloxi in nineteen relief appearances, and held batters to just .159. He, however, found Triple-A tougher as he went 3-3 with the Colorado Springs Sky Sox over twenty appearances, but finished with a 5.73 ERA while opponents hit .297 off him.
A free agent after the 2018 season, Ramirez signed a minor league contract with the Detroit Tigers. The Tigers promoted Ramirez to the major leagues on May 10, 2019. At time of promotion he had pitched in five games, three for Double-A Erie SeaWolves and two for Triple-A Toledo Mud Hens, starting all five. He held a 1-1 record, 2.31 ERA, and thirty strikeouts to five walks.
On May 11, Ramirez made his major league debut against the Minnesota Twins, pitching four innings in relief of starter Gregory Soto, who was also making his MLB debut. He earned his first major league win with three perfect innings of relief in a May 29 game against the Baltimore Orioles.
- "Katella High's Nick Ramirez picked baseball player of year". ocregister.com. Orange County Register. June 9, 2008. Retrieved May 10, 2019.
- "Nick Ramirez Stats". Baseball-Reference.com. Sports Reference LLC. Retrieved May 13, 2019.
- Haudricourt, Tom (March 1, 2017). "Brewers' minor-leaguer Nick Ramirez tries his hand at pitcher". jsonline.com. Journal Sentinel. Retrieved May 10, 2019.
- Jeff Todd (May 10, 2019). "Tigers Select Nick Ramirez". MLB Trade Rumors. Retrieved May 10, 2019.
- McCosky, Chris (May 11, 2019). "'He hung in there': Twins bash Tigers prospect Gregory Soto in debut, split doubleheader". detroitnews.com. Detroit News. Retrieved May 13, 2019.
- "Detroit Tigers at Minnesota Twins Box Score, May 11, 2019". Baseball Reference. Retrieved May 12, 2019.
- Beck, Jason (May 29, 2019). "'The Bandit' steals a victory for Tigers". MLB.com. Retrieved May 30, 2019.