This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification, as it includes attribution to IMDb. (November 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Nicodemo Antonio Massimo Mancuso (born May 29, 1948) is an Italian-Canadian actor, artist, playwright, and director. Beginning his career as a stage actor, he had his breakthrough role in the 1981 drama Ticket to Heaven, for which he won the Genie Award for Best Performance by a Leading Actor. He has over 155 film and television credits, including a starring role on the NBC series Stingray (1985–87) and as antichrist Franco Macalousso in the Apocalypse film series.
Mancuso in 2009
Nicodemo Antonio Massimo Mancuso
May 29, 1948
|Occupation||Actor, director, artist, playwright, poet|
Early life and educationEdit
Mancuso was born May 29, 1948 in Mammola, Calabria, Italy. His family emigrated to Canada in 1956 via Naples, when he was eight years old. He grew up in Ontario and began acting in high school. Upon graduation, he studied psychology at the University of Toronto, but left to pursue acting full time.
Mancuso began his professional career in various independent theatre companies including the Toronto Free Theatre, Canadian Stage Company, Factory Theatre, and the Theatre Passe Muraille. He had his first voice screen role debut with an uncredited role in the 1974 slasher film Black Christmas, as the voice of the stalking murderer Billy. In order to get the proper creepy and raspy voice, Mancuso would stand on his head to compress the thorax in his neck. He spent a season in 1976 at the Stratford Festival, with leading roles in The Merchant of Venice, Antony and Cleopatra, and A Midsummer Night's Dream, and landed his first screen appearance in a supporting role in Allan Eastman's debut film, A Sweeter Song.
In 1979, his American stage debut working directly with Tennessee Williams, starring in Tiger Tail and The Night of the Iguana in Atlanta. During this time, he came to the attention of producers at Columbia Pictures. Martin Ransohoff and Arthur Hiller were instrumental in getting Mancuso for the lead in the horror-thriller Nightwing, directed by Hiller and co-starring David Warner. Ransohoff and Hiller hoped Nightwing would be a hit and be a breakthrough role for Mancuso, but it failed at the box office.
In the early 1980s, Mancuso had his breakthrough role in Ticket to Heaven in which he played the part of a David Kappel, a non-observant Jewish teacher in Toronto. His girlfriend leaves him and he visits San Francisco to find his footing and see an old friend. He is lured into spending a weekend at a camp that is actually the recruiting and indoctrination center for a religious cult. The film was voted one of the top 10 films of 1981 by the National Board of Review, and earned Mancuso the Genie Award for Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role. The success of the film and Mancuso's performance put him in the running to play Indiana Jones in Raiders of the Lost Ark.
Mancuso played the titular role on the NBC series Stingray, which ran two seasons between 1985 and 1987. He played the antichrist Franco Macalousso in Apocalypse, a series of direct-to-video films produced by Cloud Ten Pictures. Among the other roles Mancuso has taken on there was the role of Holden Downes in Captured. In this sometime violent film, he plays a real estate tycoon on the edge. He comes across some thieves who are out to rob him and takes his anger out on them. Instead, he turns the tables on them and making them the victims. He has also appeared in numerous independent and short films.
Mancuso currently resides in Toronto, where he runs a six-week acting workshop. He has also published a book of poetry titled Mediterranean Man and created a number of abstract paintings. He is fluent in English and Italian, and speaks conversational French.
- 1974 : Red Emma (TV)
- 1974 : Black Christmas : The Prowler / Phone voice
- 1976 : A Sweeter Song : Manuel
- 1978 : Dr. Scorpion (TV) : John Shackelford
- 1979 : The House on Garibaldi Street (TV) : Ari
- 1979 : Nightwing : Youngman Duran
- 1980 : Scrupules (Scruples) (TV series) : Vito Orsini
- 1980 : Le Bateau de la mort (Death Ship) : Nick
- 1981 : Ticket to Heaven : David
- 1982 : The Legend of Walks Far Woman (TV) : Horses Ghost
- 1982 : Mother Lode : Jean Dupre
- 1983 : Feel the Heat (TV series) : Andy Thorn
- 1983 : Maria Chapdelaine : François Paradis
- 1983 : Desperate Intruder (TV) : Mike
- 1983 : Tell Me That You Love Me : Dan
- 1984 : Heartbreakers : Eli
- 1984 : Blame It on the Night : Chris Dalton
- 1984 : Paroles et Musique : Peter
- 1985 : Death of an Angel : Father Angel
- 1985 : The Ray Bradbury Theater, S1E3 ("The Crowd") : Spallner
- 1985–87 : Stingray (TV series) : Ray
- 1985 : Embassy (TV) : Harry Brackett
- 1985 : Night Magic : Michael
- 1986 : Half a Lifetime (TV) : Toby
- 1987 : The King of Love (TV)
- 1990 : Last Train Home (TV) : Sam Steele
- 1990 : Frontière du crime (Double Identity) (TV) : Paul Flemming
- 1990 : Liaison brûlante (Burning Bridges) (TV) : Peter Hollinger
- 1991 : Lena's Holiday : Flynn
- 1991 : Milena : Jaromir
- 1991 : Fatal Exposure (TV) : Carl Stone
- 1991 : Lies Before Kisses (TV) : Sonny
- 1991 : Vendetta: Secrets of a Mafia Bride (TV) : Danny LaManna
- 1992 : Rapid Fire : Antonio Serrano
- 1992 : Somebody's Daughter (TV) : Noah Canaan
- 1992 : Under Siege : Tom Breaker
- 1993 : Matrix (TV series) : Steven Matrix
- 1993 : Wild Palms (Wild Palms) (TV series) : Tully Woiwode
- 1993 : Message from Nam (TV) : Capt. Bill Quinn
- 1994 : Vitrine sur meurtre (Flinch) : Miles Raymond
- 1994 : For the Love of Aaron (TV) : Stuart Singer
- 1994 : Suspicious Agenda : Jimmy Davane
- 1995 : The Takeover : Anthony Vilachi
- 1995 : Young Ivanhoe (TV) : De Bourget
- 1995 : Arbalète et rock'n roll (A Young Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court) : King Arthur
- 1995 : Under Siege 2: Dark Territory : Tom Breaker
- 1996 : The Outer Limits (1995 TV series) : Martin, Season 2 Episode 2 "Resurrection" (Airdate: 14 January 1996)
- 1996 : Twists of Terror (TV) : Crenshaw
- 1996 : Sealed With a Kiss (TV) : Barry Kuda
- 1996 : Marquis de Sade : Marquis de Sade
- 1996 : Les Amants de rivière rouge (TV series) : O'Connor
- 1996 : Once You Meet a Stranger (TV)
- 1996 : Past Perfect
- 1996 : Vows of Deception (TV) : Matt Harding
- 1997 : Against the Law : Det. John Shepard
- 1997 : Question de confiance (Matter of Trust) : Peter Marsh
- 1997 : Piégée (Laws of Deception) : Det. Sgt. Lou Mather
- 1997 : The Ex : David Kenyon
- 1997 : The Invader: Willard
- 1997 : Let Me Call You Sweetheart (TV)
- 1998 : Harlequin's Loving Evangeline : Robert Cannon
- 1998 : Loyal Opposition: Terror in the White House (TV) : General Metzger
- 1998 : Provocateur : Toynbey Bates
- 1998 : Misbegotten : Paul Bourke
- 1998 : Past Perfect : Stone
- 1998 : Captured (vidéo) : Holden Downs
- 1998 : Programmés pour tuer (Perfect Assassins) (TV) : Samuel Greely
- 1999 : Revelation : Franco Macalousso
- 1999 : Total Recall 2070 (TV) : Richard Collector
- 1999 : Question of Privilege : Steven Healy
- 1999 : Jack of Hearts : Roy Murcant
- 2000 : Tribulation : Franco Macalousso
- 2000 : Call of the Wild : John Thornton
- 2001 : The Outer Limits (1995 TV Series) : Father, Season 6 Episode 3 "A New Life" (Airdate: 30 March 2001)
- 2001 : Judgment : Franco Macalousso
- 2001 : La Mort en blanc (Avalanche Alley) (TV) : Scott
- 2001 : The Secret Pact : Dominic Patton
- 2002 : Time of Fear : Jack Barone
- 2002 : Dancing at the Harvest Moon (TV)
- 2003 : Firefight : George
- 2003 : Lightning: Bolts of Destruction (TV) : General Fields
- 2004 : Brave New Girl (TV) : Ditz's Father
- 2004 : The Messiah: Prophecy Fulfilled : Yehudah
- 2004 : Lives of the Saints (TV) : Mario Innocente
- 2005 : Dreaming on Christmas : Sid
- 2005 : Today You Die : Agent Saunders
- 2005 : Betting On Love (TV) : Arnie Tannenbaum
- 2005 : In the Mix : Salvatore
- 2006 : Night of Terror (TV) : Richard Grant
- 2007 : Vanessa : Mr. Bennet
- 2008 : The Wrong Mr. Johnson : Jim Johnson
- 2008 : Contract Killers : Witkoff
- 2009 : Deadtime Stories 2 : Swan
- 2009 : Rise of the Gargoyles : Father Gable
- 2009 : ZOS: Zone of Separation : Dragan Michailov
- 2009 : Death Warrior : Ivan
- 2009 : Lost Soul : Dr. Charles Crowther
- 2009 : Napoleonic : Adam Trufant
- 2009 : Violent Blue : Pietro
- 2009 : The Last Gamble : Nick
- 2009 : Bruco : Dead Father, Mario
- 2010 : Napoleonic (short): Adam Trufant
- 2013 : Real Gangsters: Vincent 'Jimmie' Lo Giacamo, also producer
- 2014 : The Big Fat Stone: Mickey Goldstein
- 2016 : Born Dead
- 2017 : Adam's Testament: The Stranger
- 2017: Misfortune: Roman
- 2018: Road to the Lemon Grove: Guido
This section of a biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (June 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- Genie Award for Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role, 1982, for role in film Ticket to Heaven
- Best Actor, Houston Film Festival, 1982, for role in film Ticket to Heaven
- Best Actor, Taormina Film Festival, 1982, for role in film Ticket to Heaven
- Best Actor, Academy of Family Films and Family Television, for role in film Ticket to Heaven
- Best Actor, Houston Film Festival, 1986, for role in film Heartbreakers
- National Film Review, 1985's Best Ten Pictures, Maria Chapdelaine
- Lifetime Achievement Award, Toronto Italian Film Festival, June 2005
- "Nick Mancuso | TV Guide". TVGuide.com. Retrieved 2019-07-30.
- "The Nick Mancuso Acting Academy". www.nickmancusoactingacademy.com. Retrieved 2019-07-30.
- "Nick Mancuso Biography". Film Reference. Retrieved 24 October 2016.
- Abbot, Stacey (2001). "Nick Mancuso". In Rist, Peter Harry (ed.). Guide to the Cinema(s) of Canada. Westport, Ct.; London: Greenwood Press. pp. 135–136. ISBN 0313299315. Retrieved 8 September 2019.
His first on-screen appearance.
- Machlowitz, David S. (March 1982). "Lawyer on the Aisle". ABA Journal. 68: 364. ISSN 0747-0088.
- "Captured". Weird Wild Realm. Retrieved 24 October 2016.
- Captured (1998) at Rotten Tomatoes
- Debrett's Peerage and Baronetage (Debrett's Peerage Limited, 2008), p. 1,055
- "The Nick Mancuso Acting Academy". www.nickmancusoactingacademy.com. Retrieved 2019-07-30.
- Mancuso, Nick (2006). Mediterranean Men. ISBN 155071242X.
- Mancuso, 2019 Artmajeur Online Art Gallery / Nick. "Nick Mancuso". www.artmajeur.com. Retrieved 2019-07-30.
- "IMDb.com: The Outer Limits (1995-2002): Resurrection". IMDb.com. 2018. Retrieved 14 May 2018.
- "IMDb.com: The Outer Limits (1995-2002): A New Life". IMDb.com. 2018. Retrieved 14 May 2018.