Samuel Nicholas Hipa (born November 30, 1982) is an American heavy metal guitarist. He has performed with several notable acts. He is the current lead guitarist of the bands As I Lay Dying and Wovenwar. Hipa was featured on Billy on the Street.
Nick Hipa performing with Wovenwar in 2014
|Birth name||Samuel Nicholas Hipa|
|Born||November 30, 1982|
|Website||Nick Hipa on Facebook|
Hipa started his musical career with the band Evelynn. The band was signed to Pluto Records. In 2001, Evelynn toured with As I Lay Dying. As Evelynn started to disperse, Hipa joined As I Lay Dying in 2004.
As I Lay Dying ran its course with the same lineup since 2007, up until Tim Lambesis' arrest, when Hipa, Phil Sgrosso, and Josh Gilbert departed from the band. Alongside AILD drummer Jordan Mancino and Oh, Sleeper and Hipa's former band-mate, Shane Blay, the group of friends formed Wovenwar.
In a more recent interview, Mancino stated that AILD is still technically five members, himself, Lambesis, Hipa, Gilbert, and Sgrosso. Hipa performed lead guitars for Wovenwar, appearing on both Wovenwar (2014) and Honor Is Dead (2016) to date. In 2017, Lambesis reformed As I Lay Dying, with all new members, stating that none of the previous members, Hipa included, would return. On June 8, 2018 it was confirmed that Hipa along with the "classic" lineup of As I Lay Dying reunited with Lambesis with the release of "My Own Grave". On April 12, 2019, the band released a second single, titled "Redefined", which also features August Burns Red frontman Jake Luhrs.
Involvement in controversyEdit
Lambesis, after his arrest, said negative things about the rest of the band, Hipa included. Hipa responded to these statements- particularly accusations of the entire band secretly being Atheists and lack of contact with Lambesis after the arrest- calling them slanderous. In November 2016, Hipa stated that Lambesis was, at the time, still of the same mind and that the relationship between the two remained damaged. Hipa's tone however, changed in an October 2017 interview with Hatebreed frontman Jamey Jasta when asked about a potential As I Lay Dying reunion with the classic members- Hipa replied "Man, I’m on the spot… People ask us about it a lot. But what it comes down to is what makes sense with what we have going on in our lives. And we’ve got a lot of important things going on that don't relate to that and we’ve made commitments to, and that's what we are honoring at this moment. Honestly it's just not something we try and consume our thoughts with. Because it's like we have families, businesses, professions, and a band—and all these things we’re super invested into. It's like all of our attention is there with that at the moment." In 2018 Hipa reunited with the band.
As I Lay Dying
- Shadows Are Security (2005)
- A Long March: The First Recordings (compilation, 2006)
- An Ocean Between Us (2007)
- The Powerless Rise (2010)
- Decas (compilation, 2011)
- Awakened (2012)
- Total Brutal - Austrian Death Machine (2008)
- Ghost Thief - Living Sacrifice (2013)
- Skydancer - In Hearts Wake (2015)
- Wanderer - Heaven Shall Burn (2016)
- Simula, Collin (August 13, 2014). "Wovenwar". HM Magazine. Retrieved November 3, 2016.
- Lewandowski, Nao (November 2, 2016). "The Gray Area". HM Magazine. Retrieved November 3, 2016.
- DiVita, Joe (February 18, 2016). "Nick Hipa Makes Surprise Appearance on 'Billy on the Street'". Loudwire. Retrieved November 3, 2016.
- Shaw, Zach (February 18, 2016). "Nick Hipa (Wovenwar/ex-As I Lay Dying) appears on 'Billy on the Street'". Metal Insider. Retrieved November 3, 2016.
- "WOVENWAR Interview with Nick Hipa and Shane Blay - Ryan's Rock Show". Ryan's Rock Show. February 26, 2015. Retrieved November 3, 2016.
- King, Kat (August 7, 2012). "Interview with Nick Hipa of As I Lay Dying". Seymour Duncan. Retrieved November 3, 2016.
- Chuck & Godless (October 17, 2016). "Jordan Mancino of Wovenwar on the MetalSucks Podcast #167". MetalSucks. Retrieved November 3, 2016.
- "Report: Tim Lambesis Working On New AS I LAY DYING Record With New Band Members - Metal Injection". September 2, 2017. Retrieved September 16, 2017.
- Stagg, David (September 4, 2017). "Tim Lambesis planning to resurrect As I Lay Dying". HM Magazine. Retrieved September 16, 2017.
- "AS I LAY DYING Confirm Classic Lineup Reunion But Their Silence Is Deafening". June 8, 2018. Retrieved June 9, 2018.
- Pasbani, Robert (June 17, 2014). "Former AS I LAY DYING Guitarist Nick Hipa Says Tim Lambesis Was "Publicly Trying To Discredit Us"". Metal Injection. Retrieved November 3, 2016.
- Crane, Matt (May 19, 2014). "As I Lay Dying's Nick Hipa responds to Tim Lambesis". Alternative Press. Retrieved November 3, 2016.
- Blair, Leonardo (June 18, 2014). "As I Lay Dying's Ex-Guitarist Nick Hipa Says Convicted Lead Singer Tim Lambesis Is a "Sociopathic Narcissist" Who Deserves Prison". Christian Post. Retrieved November 3, 2016.
- "AILD guitarist accuses Tim Lambesis of slander". Lambgoat. May 19, 2014. Retrieved November 3, 2016.
- xFiruath (June 23, 2014). "Nick Hipa Discusses Tim Lambesis and New Band". Metal Underground. Retrieved November 3, 2016.
- "Exclusive: Nick Hipa (Wovenwar, As I Lay Dying) Says Tim Lambesis' Crime "Wasn't Completely Out Of Character"". MetalSucks. June 20, 2014. Retrieved November 3, 2016.
- Titus, Christa (October 18, 2016). "Wovenwar;s Nick Hipa on New Album Honor Is Dead". Billboard. Retrieved November 3, 2016.
- Munro, Scott (October 18, 2016). "As I Lay Dying ex Hipa: Tim Lambesis hasn't changed". Metal Hammer. Retrieved November 3, 2016.
- "Nick Hipa Comments on Potential As I Lay Dying Reunion". Loudwire. Retrieved June 9, 2018.
- "Episode 294 - Scott Ian Lewis (Carnifex) – The Jasta Show – Overcast". overcast.fm. Retrieved June 9, 2018.
- "As I Lay Dying – This Is Who I Am". Metal Blade Records. April 14, 2009. Missing or empty
- "The MetalSucks Podcast #56: Special Guest Nick Hipa (Wovenwar, Ex-As I Lay Dying)". MetalSucks. June 23, 2014. Retrieved September 25, 2017.
- DeLong, Ty (November 8, 2016). "Destroy the Runner to release EP with original members". Indie Vision Music. Retrieved November 9, 2016.
- Bosso, Joe (September 6, 2012). "As I Lay Dying's Nick Hipa: the 10 greatest metal guitarists of all time". Music Radar. Retrieved November 3, 2016.