Nguyễn Công Phượng
Công Phượng at the 2019 AFC Asian Cup.
|Full name||Nguyễn Công Phượng|
|Date of birth||21 January 1995|
|Place of birth||Nghệ An, Vietnam|
|Height||1.68 m (5 ft 6 in)|
|Playing position||Forward, Attacking Midfielder|
(on loan from Hoang Anh Gia Lai)
|2007–2014||HAGL – Arsenal JMG Academy|
|2015–||Hoàng Anh Gia Lai F.C||75||(30)|
|2016||→ Mito HollyHock (loan)||5||(0)|
|2019||→ Incheon United (loan)||8||(0)|
|2019–||→ Sint-Truiden (loan)||1||(0)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 28 September 2018|
‡ National team caps and goals correct as of 05 September 2019
Lauded "Vietnamese Messi" by fans and media due to his playing style and physique, Công Phượng is one of the most promising football talents in Vietnam. He is a product of HAGL – Arsenal JMG Academy and was promoted to Hoàng Anh Gia Lai first team in 2015. Công Phượng was voted in 2015 as young player of the year.
- 1 Early life
- 2 Club career
- 3 International career
- 4 Career statistic
- 5 Outside football
- 6 Honours
- 7 References
- 8 External links
Công Phượng was born on 21 January 1995 in Mỹ Sơn, Đô Lương District, Nghệ An Province. He is the fifth child out of six children of Nguyễn Công Bảy and Nguyễn Thị Hoa; his family was poor when he was growing up.
Công Phượng has been interested in football since his childhood. Around the age of five he started to play football using a ball made of straw with his two-year-older brother Nguyễn Công Khoa, who later drowned in 2004 at the age of nine.
Công Phượng first started his proper football training at the age of ten when he was introduced to the Đô Lương district sport center by a local football coach Trương Quang Vinh. In 2006, he played for the Đô Lương District youth team at Nghệ An province's football competition. Impressed Sông Lam Nghệ An F.C.'s staff at the competition, Công Phượng was invited into Sông Lam Nghệ An F.C. youth team but after a month of trial, he wasn't accepted because he didn't meet the weight requirement. Công Phượng's weight at that time was only 25.4 kg, while the minimum requirement was 30 kg and 27 kg for special cases. In 2007, upon hearing the news about HAGL – Arsenal JMG Academy recruitment program, Công Phượng persuaded his parent to bring him to Pleiku, where HAGL – Arsenal JMG Academy based for the try-out. He was one of the only fourteen candidates who was accepted in to the academy out of about seven thousand candidates from all over the country in the first selection.
In June 2010, Công Phượng and Nguyễn Tuấn Anh were the only two players from HAGL JMG Academy that were invited to a fifteen days overseas training program in Mali. It was a training program for top players of JMG Academy from all over the globe.
In November 2012, Công Phượng along with Nguyễn Tuấn Anh, Lương Xuân Trường, Trần Hữu Đông Triều were four of the players from the academy received the invitation to train with Arsenal F.C. U–17 team. In the letter, Arsenal's performance supervisor, Steve Morrow stated that manager Arsène Wenger was impressed with the academy's players when they beat Arsenal U–17 team in January.
Hoàng Anh Gia LaiEdit
2015: First seasonEdit
In 2015, Hoàng Anh Gia Lai revolutionized their first team, the club released most of their first team players, only a few players was kept to guide young player from the academy. Công Phượng was promoted to first team along with other academy's player from the first selection. Công Phượng was given number 44 shirt instead of number 10 which he always wore when play for academy team and national U–19 team.
Công Phượng made his 2015 V.League 1 debut on 4 January 2015 at the opening game of the season against Sanna Khánh Hòa F.C.. Hoàng Anh Gia Lai F.C. won this game 4–2 as Công Phượng scored twice. Công Phượng scored another brace at the eighth round against Dong Thap FC. Công Phượng finished 2015 season with six goals in twenty five appearances, he was club's leading goalscorer and had second most appearance. On 6 January 2016, Công Phượng won the 2015 young player of the year award, beating his club mate Nguyễn Tuấn Anh who won it the previous year and Hà Nội T&T F.C. player Đỗ Duy Mạnh.
2018 season: Good performancesEdit
Although his club just finished 11th at the end of season,Phượng still included in V.League's Team of the season by his performances.
In 2015, he has been loaned to Mito HollyHock for $100,000 J.League Division 2 season. On 7 May 2016 Công Phượng made his debut for Mito HollyHock, coming on as a substitute in the 87 minute in a match against Giravanz Kitakyushu that ended 1–0.
On 5 July 2019, Công Phượng has been loaned to Belgian club, side Sint-Truiden on a one-year loan contract. Phượng is the second Vietnamese footballer to play in Europe, after Lê Công Vinh, and the first Vietnamese to play in Belgium.
Công Phượng was first called up to Vietnam U-19 team in September 2013 to participate in 2013 AFF U-19 Youth Championship. The team made it into the final with unbeaten run of five wins but eventually lost out to host nation Indonesia U–19 in the penalty shoot-out (7–6). Công Phượng scored twice in this competition.
Công Phượng was the top goal scorer at the 2014 AFC U-19 Championship qualification held in October 2013. He scored seven goals which include a brace against Australia U–19, the game ended with a shocking result of 5–1 win for U–19 Vietnam. His team finished at the top of the group with nine points and qualified for the final tournament.
At the 2014 AFF U-19 Youth Championship in September 2014, Công Phượng scored a stunning solo goal against Australia U–19 right at the end of the game which help his team achieve a 1–0 victory. The goal was voted as goal of tournament; this goal helped to raise Công Phượng's popularity even more. Công Phượng scored another goal in the game against U–19 Japan. His team made it into the final and ended up as runner up after lost the game 0–1 to Japan U–19.
Công Phượng captained his team at 2014 AFC U-19 Championship held in October 2014. They were put in a tough group with other Asia powerhouses, Japan U–19, South Korea U–19, and China U–19. His team failed to make it through the group stage with two losses and one draw. This is Công Phượng's last tournament with the U–19 side.
Công Phượng was a part of U23 Vietnam that played at SEA Games 2015. His team won the bronze medal, Công Phượng contributed three goals, one of which against U-23 Malaysia was voted as goal of the tournament.
Vietnam national teamEdit
Selected for the 2019 Asian Cup, he scored two goals. His first goal of the tournament in the first match against Iraq where he scored the second goal of Vietnam,although that, Vietnam were defeatead 2-3, then in the round of 16 on January 20, 2019 where he equalized against Jordan early in the second half, before Vietnam eliminates the Al-Nashama on penalty shoot-out (4 p.s.o. to 2); thus contributing to the very good course of the Golden Dragons, quarter finalists to everyone's surprise of the continental edition.
- Scores and results list Vietnam's goal tally first.
|1.||8 November 2016||Mỹ Đình National Stadium, Hanoi, Vietnam||Indonesia||2–2||3–2||Friendly|
|2.||22 March 2017||Mỹ Đình National Stadium, Hanoi, Vietnam||Chinese Taipei||1–1||1–1||Friendly|
|3.||10 October 2017||Mỹ Đình National Stadium, Hanoi, Vietnam||Cambodia||4–0||5–0||2019 AFC Asian Cup qualification|
|4.||8 November 2018||New Laos National Stadium, Vientiane, Laos||Laos||1–0||3–0||2018 AFF Championship|
|5.||16 November 2018||Mỹ Đình National Stadium, Hanoi, Vietnam||Malaysia||1–0||2–0||2018 AFF Championship|
|6.||6 December 2018||Mỹ Đình National Stadium, Hanoi, Vietnam||Philippines||2–0||2–1||2018 AFF Championship|
|7.||8 January 2019||Zayed Sports City Stadium, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates||Iraq||2–1||2–3||2019 AFC Asian Cup|
|8.||20 January 2019||Al Maktoum Stadium, Dubai, United Arab Emirates||Jordan||1–1||1–1
|2019 AFC Asian Cup|
Age fabrication accusationEdit
The rumours that Công Phượng had fabricated his age to play in younger age football competition began to circulate soon after his team won the 2014 International U-21 Thanh Niên Newspaper Cup. It started with the newspaper Thể Thao 24h published on 8 November 2014, three different documents showing three different date of birth of Công Phượng and an interview with a former Hoàng Anh Gia Lai F.C. youth team's player Bùi Văn Phúc said that both him and Công Phượng had their birth certificate redone, in his case it changed 1994 to 1996 and Công Phượng from 1993 to 1995. Bùi Văn Phúc later denied the newspaper's claim but the newspaper affirmed they told the truth and have recording of the conversation that they were willing to show if necessary.
On 12 November, after two days working in Nghệ An Province, Vietnam Football Federation published Công Phượng's birth certificate that showed he was born on 21 January 1995. On 16 November 2014, VTV Chuyển Động 24h broadcast a program pointing out problems with the birth certificate, the program also published more documents to back up the claim that Công Phượng born in 1993 and asked Công Phượng to speak up. On 17 November, in an interview with Người Lao Động newspaper, Công Phượng made no comment when asked about the accusation he said that he doesn't have permission from the club to answer.
On 18 November, after investigating the matter, Đô Lương District's Justice Committee Division concluded that Công Phượng was born on 21 January 1995. Nghệ An Province's Justice Department reached the same conclusion on 5 December.
On 30 December, VTV was fined 15 million Vietnamese Dong and ordered to issue a public correction by the Ministry of Information and Communications for broadcasting wrongful information about Công Phượng's age, the newspaper Thể Thao 24h was also fined 10 million Vietnamese Dong and ordered to issue a public correction.
- Silver Medal: 2018
- "Nguyễn Công Phượng: Xứng danh "Messi Việt Nam"". Bongda.com.vn. Archived from the original on 2015-04-02. Retrieved 2015-04-03. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Công Phượng lên báo Tây, được ví là Messi của Việt Nam". Soha.vn. Retrieved 2015-04-03.
- "Công Phượng còn ấn tượng hơn Văn Quyến, Công Vinh". Dbv.vn. 2013-10-04. Archived from the original on 2015-04-02. Retrieved 2015-04-03. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Công Phượng là cầu thủ trẻ hay nhất Việt Nam năm 2015 - Bongdaplus.vn". Bongdaplus (in Vietnamese).
- Nghệ Yên (2014-10-03). "Cảnh nghèo của gia đình cầu thủ U–19 Công Phượng – VnExpress Thể Thao". Thethao.vnexpress.net. Retrieved 2015-04-03.
- "Nghe bố mẹ kể chuyện Công Phượng | Báo Người Lao Động Online". Nld.com.vn. 2013-10-08. Retrieved 2015-04-03.
- Vĩnh Yên. "Công Phượng tặng siêu phẩm cho anh trai quá cố – Việt Nam – Zing.vn". News.zing.vn. Retrieved 2015-04-03.
- "Công Phượng: Từ hàng thải thành... hàng thửa". Nguoiduatin.vn. Retrieved 2015-04-03.
- "Công Phượng luôn biết ơn người thầy đầu tiên – Thể thao VietNamNet". Thethao.vietnamnet.vn. 2014-10-29. Retrieved 2015-04-03.
- "Tiết lộ lý do Công Phượng bị loại khỏi 'lò' Sông Lam Nghệ An – Thể thao – Tin Ngắn". M.tinngan.vn. 2014-09-18. Retrieved 2015-04-03.
- "Vì sao Công Phượng hụt kỳ tuyển Học viên HAGL JMG Vinh?". Bongda.com.vn. 2014-11-20. Archived from the original on 2015-04-02. Retrieved 2015-04-03. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Cầu thủ học viện HA.GL sang châu Phi tập huấn". www.hagl.com.vn.
- "Cầu thủ Học viện HA.GL quyết 'ghi điểm' tại Arsenal". Thethao247.vn. Archived from the original on 2015-04-02. Retrieved 2015-04-03. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- Quỳnh Chi. "Arsenal thử việc 4 cầu thủ U17 Hoàng Anh Gia Lai - Việt Nam - Zing.vn". News.zing.vn. Retrieved 2015-04-03.
- "HAGL Group". Hagl.com.vn. Retrieved 2015-04-03.
- "HAGL Arsenal JMG crushes Thailand 3–0 in U–21 Int'l Football Tournament final". Vnexpressnews.net. 2014-11-03. Retrieved 2015-04-03.
- "Bầu Đức đôn cầu thủ Học viện HAGL JMG đá V.League: Bài học Tiền Giang 2006". Motthegioi.vn. 2014-11-06. Archived from the original on 2015-01-16. Retrieved 2015-04-03. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Chọn áo số 44, Công Phượng có thông điệp gì - Ngôi sao". Ngoisao.net. 2014-11-27. Retrieved 2015-04-03.
- "Công Phượng lập cú đúp, HAGL thắng đậm Khánh Hòa - Thể thao - Dân trí". Dantri.com.vn. 2013-09-16. Retrieved 2015-04-03.
- "Công Phượng lập cú đúp, HAGL thoát thua Đồng Tháp - VnExpress Thể Thao". Thethao.vnexpress.net. 2015-02-15. Retrieved 2015-04-03.
- "Công Phượng chỉ đứng top 30 'sát thủ' V-League 2015 - VTC News". Báo VTC (in Vietnamese). 23 September 2015.
- "Công Phượng nhận giải cầu thủ trẻ hay nhất VN". news.zing.vn.
- "Graduate from Arsenal-backed academy to play for Japanese club". Thanh Nien News. Retrieved 2015-09-29.
- "OFFICIAL: Mito Hollyhock announce signing of Nguyen Cong Phuong". Football Channel Asia. 12 August 2015. Retrieved 9 September 2015.
- "Vietnamese wonderkid Cong Phuong makes J2 League debut with Mito Hollyhock". Football Channel Asia. 8 May 2016. Retrieved 8 May 2016.
- "인천유나이티드, 베트남 국가대표 콩푸엉 영입…1년 임대 계약". incheonutd.com (in Korean).
- "S. Korea's Incheon United FC sign Vietnamese forward on loan". Yonhap News Agency. 13 February 2019.
- "U–19 Việt Nam thất bại trong loạt luân lưu trận chung kết - VnExpress Thể Thao". Thethao.vnexpress.net. 2013-09-22. Retrieved 2015-04-03.
- "Goal's Top 20 Southeast Asian Rising Stars – 20. Nguyen Cong Phuong – Vietnam". Goal.com. 2013-10-24. Retrieved 2015-04-03.
- Băng Tâm. "Siêu phẩm của Công Phượng đẹp nhất giải U–19 Đông Nam Á mở rộng 2014 | Hậu trường | Báo điện tử An Ninh Thủ Đô". Anninhthudo.vn. Retrieved 2015-04-03.
- "Công Phượng nói lời chia tay U–19 Việt Nam". Doisongphapluat.com. 2014-10-14. Retrieved 2015-04-03.
- "Cong Phuong ranks among top goal scorer in AFC qualification | VOV Online Newspaper". Retrieved 2015-04-03.
- "Nguyễn, Công Phượng". National Football Teams.
- "Tổng hợp sự kiện nóng trong ngày: Công Phượng 19 hay 21 tuổi?". Kenh14.vn. Retrieved 2015-04-03.
- "Thêm tình tiết nghi vấn Công Phượng gian lận tuổi - VTC News". Vtc.vn. Retrieved 2015-04-03.
- "Tt1 Photo by nhathuoconline | Photobucket". S128.photobucket.com. Retrieved 2015-04-03.
- "Thanh tra VFF kết luận: "Công Phượng 19 tuổi" - Thể thao VietNamNet". Thethao.vietnamnet.vn. 1995-01-21. Retrieved 2015-04-03.
- "VTV muốn gì ở Công Phượng? - BBC Vietnamese". Bbc.co.uk. Retrieved 2015-04-03.
- "VTV24: "Công Phượng hãy lên tiếng vì SỰ THẬT"". Kienthuc.net.vn. Retrieved 2015-04-03.
- "Công Phượng lên tiếng | Báo Người Lao Động Online". Nld.com.vn. 2014-11-17. Retrieved 2015-04-03.
- "Phòng Tư pháp chứng thực Công Phượng sinh năm 1995 - VnExpress Thể Thao". Thethao.vnexpress.net. Retrieved 2015-04-03.
- "Kết luận cuối cùng về sự thật tuổi Công Phượng - DVO - Báo Đất Việt". Baodatviet.vn. 1995-01-21. Retrieved 2015-04-03.
- "Vietnam Television fined for slandering young football striker | Sports | Thanh Nien Daily". Thanhniennews.com. Retrieved 2015-04-03.
- "Thông tin sai vụ Công Phượng: Báo Thể thao 24h bị phạt 10 triệu đ". Vtc.vn. Retrieved 2015-04-03.