Newton High School is a public high school in Newton, Kansas, United States operated by Newton USD 373 school district, and serves students of grades 9 to 12. It is located on a 90-acre (360,000 m2) campus with a Cedar-tree surrounded parking lot.
|Newton High School|
900 West 12th Street
|School type||Public, High School|
|School district||Newton USD 373|
|Asst Principals||Dietz, Smith, Becker, Flores|
|Athletic Director||Brian Becker|
|Teaching staff||80.30 (FTE)|
|Student to teacher ratio||12.73|
|Athletics conference||Ark Valley Chisholm Trail League|
|Sports||Football, Basketball, Swimming, Bowling, Wrestling, Tennis, Softball, Baseball, Volleyball, Track and field, Cross Country|
|Rival||Hutchinson High School|
|Communities served||Newton, Walton, North Newton|
Newton High School was founded in 1885. Historically, Newton High School has been located at three different locations:
- first school was located at the northwest corner of 6th and Ash (currently Lincoln Park Apartments) and built in TBD,
- second school was located at the northeast corner of Broadway and Poplar (currently Santa Fe 5/6 Center school) and built in 1914,
- third (current) school is located at the northeast corner of 12th and Boyd (in northwest Newton) and built in the early 1970s.
As a result of a bond election that took place in 2007, renovation construction began on the school in 2009 and was completed in 2010. The renovation added several sections to the school and redistributed the rooms within the building; in this redistribution, safety and modernization were both heavy concerns. Aside from significantly changing the exterior of the school, the renovations also pushed the administration offices forward and relocated the school library.
Students from grades 9-12 participate in football, volleyball, cross country, tennis, girls and boys basketball, wrestling, gymnastics, bowling, swimming, girls and boys soccer, baseball, softball, boys and girls golf, track and field and bowling. Activities available include cheerleading, Railiners Dance Team, Azteca Dancers, debate, forensics, FFA, GSA, KFC, BPA, Drama, Music (Vocal, Band, Jazz Band, Pep Band, Orchestra), Science Olympiad, Model UN, and FIRST Robotics Competition Team.
- Mike Moore, former head football coach at Bethel College, assistant head coach and defensive coordinator at Newton High School.
- Reed Crandall (1917-1982), illustrator and penciller of comic books and magazines, inducted into Will Eisner Comic Book Hall of Fame in 2009.
- Jayne Hrdlicka (c. 1963-), business executive; President and Chair of Tennis Australia and CEO of Virgin Australia Holdings
- Muadianvita Kazadi (1973-), former linebacker for St. Louis Rams in 1997 and Montreal Alouettes in 1999.
- Dustin Richardson (1984-), former MLB player (Boston Red Sox).
- Miles Johns (1994-), Mixed martial artist currently competing in the UFC bantamweight division.
- GNIS entry for Newton High School
- High School CEEB Code Search
- "School Search - Newton HS". Kansas State High School Activities Association. Retrieved 19 May 2011.
- "Newton Sr High". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved 5 March 2021.
- KSHSAA School Classification List
- KSHSAA School District List Archived 23 September 2010 at the Wayback Machine