Newport Dock Street railway station
|Original company||Monmouthshire Railway and Canal Company|
|Pre-grouping||Great Western Railway|
|Post-grouping||Great Western Railway|
|4 August 1852||Opened|
|1 August 1880||Closed to passengers|
|1960s||Closed to goods|
The station was opened on 4 August 1852 as the terminus of Monmouthshire Railway and Canal Company's Western Valleys line to Blaina and Ebbw Vale. The line itself had opened on 21 December 1850 with a temporary terminus at Courtybella.
By January 1879 a connection was made from Park Junction to Gaer Junction just west of the Hillfield Tunnels on the South Wales Main Line. On 12 May 1880, all Western Valley trains were diverted via this new chord to High Street station. London and North Western Railway services from the Sirhowy branch followed on 1 June 1880. The station then closed to passengers. The line between Dock Street and Pill Bank Junction remained open for goods traffic until 1991.
|Preceding station||Disused railways||Following station|
Line and station closed
|Great Western Railway
Monmouthshire Railway and Canal Company
- Awdry, Christopher (1990). Encyclopaedia of British Railway Companies. Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 1-8526-0049-7. OCLC 19514063. CN 8983.
- Butt, R. V. J. (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations: details every public and private passenger station, halt, platform and stopping place, past and present (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 978-1-85260-508-7. OCLC 60251199.
- Clinker, C.R. (1988) . Clinker's Register of Closed Passenger Stations and Goods Depots in England, Scotland and Wales 1830–1980 (2nd ed.). Bristol: Avon-Anglia Publications & Services. ISBN 978-0-905466-91-0. OCLC 655703233.
- Cobb, M.H. (2006) . The Railways of Great Britain: A Historical Atlas. 1. Shepperton, Surrey: Ian Allan Publishing Ltd. ISBN 978-0-7110-3236-1.
- Conolly, W. Philip (2004) . British Railways Pre-Grouping Atlas and Gazetteer. Hersham, Surrey: Ian Allan. ISBN 978-0-7110-0320-0.
- MacDermot, E.T.; Clinker, C.R. (1972) . History of the Great Western Railway, volume II 1863-1921. Shepperton: Ian Allan. ISBN 0-7110-0412-9.
- Quick, Michael (2009) . Railway passenger stations in Great Britain: a chronology (4th ed.). Oxford: Railway & Canal Historical Society. ISBN 978-0-901461-57-5. OCLC 612226077.