New Zealand Electronic Text Collection
The New Zealand Electronic Text Collection (NZETC; Māori: Te Pūhikotuhi o Aotearoa) is a freely accessible online archive of New Zealand and Pacific Islands texts and heritage materials that are held by the Victoria University of Wellington Library. It was named the New Zealand Electronic Text Centre until October 2012.
Type of site
|Alexa rank||330,399 (March 2012[update])|
The Library has an ongoing programme of digitisation and feature additions to the current holdings within the NZETC. In the beginning of 2012 the collection contained over 1,600 texts (around 65,000 pages) and received over 10,000 visits each day.
Projects and activitiesEdit
The Library works with partners within Victoria University on projects for the NZETC including:
- Turbine, a literary journal (in cooperation with the International Institute of Modern Letters)
- Best New Zealand Poems (in cooperation with the International Institute of Modern Letters)
- Tidal Pools, to make available texts on Pacific islands history, language, culture and politics (in cooperation with Va'aomanu Pasifika, the Pacific Studies unit)
- Design Review, a Wellington architecture and design magazine from the late 1940s and early 1950s
The NZETC has previously worked with external partners, such as:
- Digitisation and e-publishing of the Transactions and Proceedings of the Royal Society of New Zealand 1868–1961 (in cooperation with the National Library of New Zealand and the Alexander Turnbull Library)
- Learning Media (in cooperation with the Ministry of Education)
- La Trobe Journal (in cooperation with the Australian State Library of Victoria)
Methodology and technologyEdit
The NZETC is a part of the Text Encoding Initiative community of practice. They encode all their textual content in TEI XML which is transformed dynamically into HTML using XSL. Authority files are maintained for works, people, places, organisations and, unusually, ships. Topic Maps are used for the main website structure.
- "NZETC.org Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2012-03-16.
- "The NZETC has a new look". The Blog of the New Zealand Electronic Text Collection. Victoria University of Wellington. 10 October 2012. Retrieved 10 June 2019.
- About NZETC on the official website
- Brown, Russell (22 October 2014). "Digital media and the internet – Information". Te Ara – the Encyclopedia of New Zealand. Retrieved 10 June 2019.
- "About the NZETC projects". Nzetc.victoria.ac.nz. Retrieved 2012-07-30.
- "About copyrights". nzetc.victoria.ac.nz.
- "Technology". NZETC. 2005-05-05. Retrieved 2012-07-30.
- "About the New Zealand Electronic Text Collection". New Zealand Electronic Text Collection. Victoria University of Wellington. Retrieved 10 June 2019.